Is this game an rpg?

+
Feels more like a movie, given how often you 'watch' what has been decided that you WILL do!
One hell of a long movie (43hrs ish so far) but a movie ...

I'd call it a
Cinematic Choice-Based Action Adventure. CCBAA
Alternatively:
Immersive Sim / Action-RPG.

IMO an interactive story doesn't necessarily make it an RPG, although there are other RPG-elements in this game. A game with an interactive story, similar to Game-Books, is rather a category that stands on it's own.

The fact that Night City can be seen as the actual main character in this game speaks for an Immersive Sim.

Last edited:
Feels more like a movie, given how often you 'watch' what has been decided that you WILL do!
One hell of a long movie (43hrs ish so far) but a movie ...

The mainjobs and storylines in Cyberpunk is definetively a long movie and not game at all, and it is filled with so much meaningless talk in between the story you are trying to follow that its just a big mess. Add that to too many characters and a bad design of the city making you walk detours all the time and cars and buildings looking like an early GTA game, its not much to cheer about.

They sold me the game as an RPG, but it's not anymore.
It has RPG elements, but sadly it's an action game... :think:

I feel like a clown!

It certainly contains RP elements, thus causing it to be a RolePlaying Game, Though we are of course still locked into what makes sense for the story.

So Bald
The only real rpg's are the paper one. Everything else (including video games) can have at last common things with rpg. And video game "rpg" genre because of the fact it's not real can mean anything. There's no solid definition, so all gamers have their own vision of "rpg". And that's the cause of arguments online whether CP77 is an RPG or is not, while the answer is in the middle. The closest game to CP77 is for me Mass Effect 1, but on steroids. Your character is V, and just like Shepard V has past, he/she is not 100% your character, but by playing you can choose path for him/her. There are (mostly hidden so you have to predict if it can affect story) choices, usually little ones for a player, but important for a game (like death of not important NPC), but sometimes these choices can have huge consequences. The action actually is more focused on rpg elements - enemies are typical bullet sponges for low level / poorly developed character, while high lvl, well developed character can be too OP even without using guns. Loot system is... Meh? Not that bad, but not good either. And lots of people sucks at being stealthy / netrunning, so they say it's poorly balanced etc.
So Baldur's Gate is not an RPG?

“How I would sort of summarise this is… I think people tend to forget that […] this game is an RPG first and foremost"

- Miles Tost, Senior level Designer

1608179411997.png

right..

I wish they went the Witcher 3 route as a third person action RPG, but on steroids. Not really feeling the FP perspective in this game at all. Hopefully they add an option for third person view like Skyrim had.

While they have somewhat underhandedly backed off calling Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG, it's for sure as much an RPG as some other games listed under the RPG genre on steam (for whatever that's worth). Does suck that they weren't able to deliver the same flexibility for completing most quests as shown in the early gameplay previews.

“How I would sort of summarise this is… I think people tend to forget that […] this game is an RPG first and foremost"

- Miles Tost, Senior level Designer

View attachment 11091818

right..
Well that was back on June 12, 2018, two and a half years ago, back when that's what everyone thought the game would be, and what CDPR has always said it would be. That post in particular wasn't about that though, it was about the uproar from fans after CDPR announced the game was first-person. Anyway, they have since amended the description/genre since release. Go to the GoG website and click on the RPG category and you'll see Cyberpunk is not found on the RPG page:
However, if you click on the "Action" genre, poof, there Cyberpunk is, first on the "Action" genre page:
While you're on each page, click on "new releases" and again, on the RPG page, no Cyberpunk, but on the Action page under new releases, there it is, lol. Also, if you click on Cyberpunk and go to its page, you'll see under "Genre" it lists as "Action" first then "Role-playing" and "Sci-fi". However if you click directly on those genre links the game only shows up on the "Action" and "Sci-fi" genre links. If you click on the "Role-playing" genre link, Cyberpunk isn't there. There's a big difference between an actual RPG like they promised and a generic "role-playing" game anyway. As I've said, I could play Super Mario and technically say I'm "role-playing" as Mario.
There is simply too much missing and wrong with Cyberpunk for them to continue to refer to it as an actual full-fledged RPG. They have to qualify it by putting "Action" in front of it or just calling it an "action-adventure" game. They are probably changing things to avoid litigation for false advertising, etc.

Last edited:
I fully agree, it's an rpg released in such a shit state that 'The number one rpg gaming studio' should not have released it, not only is it bug ridden, it's fucked, i can't continue without Takemura dialogue there, great 1st play through, literally unplayable.
such a fuck up, i play Gwent n love it, odd balance changes each season np, sk still op, Witcher3 was amazing, side game for Gwent was great fun, this 2077, how dare you release a game this fucked, this is indie level, yah we are number von, nah, you are mad, n so are fans.
Sort this asap pls as i love the game, but it's literally unplayable.

I like the game, but that statement is pretty much wrong as far as the game we got in the end.

It's mainly a FPS with a few RPG elements. Even Borderlands has more RPG elements in it.

-Almost every skill in the game is a passive skill and only really boost your ability to shoot/hack things, no skill checks in the game.

-Core attributes only give you % boosts to your secondary stats and let you unlock certain dialogs and mission routes. There's no underlying mechanic or skill checks behind them.

-Items are all the same regardless of their white/blue/purple/legendary status. That doesn't even determine the number of mods they can have. They might have better dps or armor, but the only change to other stats is through mods. The legendary items aren't unique at all, other than a skin, they don't do anything special. (At least I haven't found any that are after 40 hours of play)

-Cyberware follows the same route, with a few exceptions that can alter a bit how you play.

-The only two types of active skills are triggering your kerenzikov or using magic hacks. Which both only function to make you kill things better, or stealthier, or do some instant damage, or damage over time. There are no utility active skills. You can say grenades is a third kind, I suppose.

-Consumables are also lacking, even if there is a huge variety of them for flavor, they all resume on giving you the exact same food/drink/drunk (de)buff. Plus a few others that boost core stats like cyberdeck memory for some crazy reason, health, etc. I haven't seen any consumable that is stronger or better or different than the usual, there's no compound effect like eating expensive food to get more than one buff.

-There's no quickbar or any sort to have a few different things ready to consume, or use different inhalers without opening the slow radial menu.

And I guess the list could go on.

It's a light rpg at best.

Technically most games are role playing games.. You take on a role of someone or something within the game. "I am a Football team!".. "I am a Pac Man!" "I am a wheel of cheese being carried around in the Dragonborn's backpack!" "I am a Cyberpunk man searching for a pair of Stilettos and neon short shorts.!"

Top Bottom