Is this game an rpg?

+
Well, then Super Mario Bros is an RPG as well... One swallow does not make a summer. ;)

Cherry picking my post doesn't show the context. Read it all, THEN digest it please. I said that there has to be archetype creation in so many words too. Taking one line and proclaiming that I mean something based on that one line out of context completely demeans the entire point.

So no, Super Mario is not an RPG unless Mario has different ways to play like fire mage, mushroom warrior, and dragon knight. And then I would go further to say there had better be a sandbox or open world of some kind, and plenty of lore to dive into along with a compelling reason to delve into it.

I was simply illustrating that you don't need convolution and clutter to express a RPG if role playing is the goal. As it really should be the goal of any RPG to first illustrate a compelling world, then fill it with life, and then introduce a dilemma to overcome as the player sets out on adventure; however, that character has to be your character -- not some cookie cutter model. Players interact with non player characters, and get embroiled in adventure. Progression obviously has to be there in some form. I have played many RPGs without an inventory management screen, and I have played some where there was no crafting.

Legend of Zelda games almost make the RPG cut in my book, but they miss the crucial application of building your own character or any sort of paradigm system to customize Link or Zelda.

Last edited:
Very simple: if you count TW2, TW3, DE:HR, DE:MD, DA2, DAI, ME2, ME3, Skyrim, FO4 or GreedFall as RPGs, then yes, CP2077 is one of them, without a shadow of doubt.
Some from the list is more close in my opinion to action games then rpg when comparing them with for example Gothic, Diablo, Baldur Gate.

Deus ex hr is much close to being an a true RPG then Cyberpunk 2077.
I would not put it in the same class with Deus Ex, Witcher, Dragon Age games.

I would put Cyberpunk în same category with Borderlands, Skyrim, FFantasy, FO4, games which are more action games.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk is a 1st person action adventure RPG. Can we all agree it has all of those elements? I think that people who don't think it's a RPG missed the character generator, the experience system with clear perk and skill point allocation per level to simulate experience and growth, and they missed the open world sandbox with all that lore.

Just what exactly were the expectations? So the NPCs are kind of stupid, and some of the side missions are a little bland. This thing feels like GTA when you look at it through the lens of someone who does nothing but grind the missions in an attempt to 100% complete. I get that, but can I suggest one thing after you guys 100% clear the game?

My suggestion is this: Try building a character with clear goals in mind. For instance, a netrunner doesn't do the assassination contracts unless they can assassinate by proxy. Avoid combat missions unless there is a way to infiltrate as a netrunner. Hack cameras and use them to clear the field of enemies as a netrunner would do. Secondly, play the role: talk to people like you would in whatever attitude or style you think your character should have. Wander the city or don't -- what you would do as if you were a netrunner means thinking about things from that angle. Would you drive like a madman, or would you keep the speed limit? I know, what limit? Make one up. Be social as if there were dialogue to be made with the nearly dead NPCs shuffling around the city like zombies. Listen to that guy playing guitar or go cyberpsycho on him just because. Create your own story too because half of role playing is making your own thing up too. Get into the spirit of your character.

The point I'm making is the game can be as little fun or as much fun as you make it. There are a lot of things missing here for a greater RPG experience, but there are also things here that make it glorious. For one, the main stories and side missions are not bad. Some arcs I would even say are pretty epic.
If you finish the Nomads, romance a love interest, and then finish the game there's a chance he or she will show up for the epilogue.

I also understand that there is a lot of things that really should be implemented, like police chases, and a better wanted system -- with police that aren't invincible until maxtac shows up. I get that, and I really hope the're working on it. In the meantime, we have this thing that isn't half bad for this company's 1st attempt at an IP other than The Witcher.

Cyberpunk is a 1st person action adventure RPG. Can we all agree it has all of those elements? I think that people who don't think it's a RPG missed the character generator, the experience system with clear perk and skill point allocation per level to simulate experience and growth, and they missed the open world sandbox with all that lore.

Just what exactly were the expectations? So the NPCs are kind of stupid, and some of the side missions are a little bland. This thing feels like GTA when you look at it through the lens of someone who does nothing but grind the missions in an attempt to 100% complete. I get that, but can I suggest one thing after you guys 100% clear the game?

My suggestion is this: Try building a character with clear goals in mind. For instance, a netrunner doesn't do the assassination contracts unless they can assassinate by proxy. Avoid combat missions unless there is a way to infiltrate as a netrunner. Hack cameras and use them to clear the field of enemies as a netrunner would do. Secondly, play the role: talk to people like you would in whatever attitude or style you think your character should have. Wander the city or don't -- what you would do as if you were a netrunner means thinking about things from that angle. Would you drive like a madman, or would you keep the speed limit? I know, what limit? Make one up. Be social as if there were dialogue to be made with the nearly dead NPCs shuffling around the city like zombies. Listen to that guy playing guitar or go cyberpsycho on him just because. Create your own story too because half of role playing is making your own thing up too. Get into the spirit of your character.

The point I'm making is the game can be as little fun or as much fun as you make it. There are a lot of things missing here for a greater RPG experience, but there are also things here that make it glorious. For one, the main stories and side missions are not bad. Some arcs I would even say are pretty epic.
If you finish the Nomads, romance a love interest, and then finish the game there's a chance he or she will show up for the epilogue.

I also understand that there is a lot of things that really should be implemented, like police chases, and a better wanted system -- with police that aren't invincible until maxtac shows up. I get that, and I really hope the're working on it. In the meantime, we have this thing that isn't half bad for this company's 1st attempt at an IP other than The Witcher.
The problem they hyped it as more rpg experience then it is. People bought expecting that. Then they turn the game into action actventure.
Its normal for people to be upset. Plus the game its not finished, there are many bugs, the game runs poorly.
Lesson to be learn.
Dont lie or dont false advertise.
If you promise a true rpg experience deliver.
If you promise you will release when ready do that.
If you promise the game will work well on last gen consoles do that.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

They are more close in my opinion to action games then rpg when comparing them with for example Gothic, Diablo, Baldur Gate.
They are all essentially action-RPGs, and this trend of merging action games and RPGs is present since the first Deus Ex, and has basically become a norm for all AAA RPGs ever since the first Mass Effect. True RPGs nowadays are all indie titles and more often than not Kickstarter projects.
Deus ex hr is much close to being an a true RPG then Cyberpunk 2077.
Why? What RPG elements are present in HR and are missing from Cyberpunk?
I would not put it in the same class with Deus Ex, Witcher, Dragon Age games.
Out of all games on the list I gave, I feel like DAI is the closest one to being similar in spirit to the classic RPGs. TW3 is easiest to compare to Cyberpunk, one youtuber did just that and (as expected) Cyberpunk does indeed have more RPG features. Doesn't make it a better game, just more of an RPG.
I would put Cyberpunk în same category with Borderlands, Skyrim, FFantasy, FO4, games which are more action games.
Haven't played Borderlands and I'm not a fan of JRPGs, which leaves Skyrim and Fallout 4, so yeah, I agree with that one.

There is no roleplaying in this specifically because you are not yourself playing a role, not enacting the character of V in his or her setting as per roleplaying... as in playing-a-role, as in getting in-character and immersing yourself. You do not do that in this game, therefore it is not an RPG. You do not change V, you do not get to be you, you simply are part of an on-rails adventure/action game as they advertised. There is no roleplaying in here because you are V. You are not Geralt of Rivia, a written character in lore who somehow gets to make choices in his gameplay that affect the story and let you roleplay the Geralt you want... No, you are V, a fictional one-sided character crafted out of random by the developers who is written one way and one way only. There is only one route, one way to behave, one voice you hear when you play.

This is not a roleplaying game and the developers recognized that when they changed it to action-adventure. I am not sure why anyone is still concerned about this; the answer is clear. The developers scrapped a promise in the worst possible setting to do so. Literally everything in vanilla, pen-and-paper Cyberpunk is player driven as the plot is set in stone. It cannot change but the players can adapt to it, as we are intended to as a... street kid. This was the setting and impression crafted by Mike way back Wednesday.

Last edited:
They are all essentially action-RPGs, and this trend of merging action games and RPGs is present since the first Deus Ex, and has basically become a norm for all AAA RPGs ever since the first Mass Effect. True RPGs nowadays are all indie titles and more often than not Kickstarter projects.

Why? What RPG elements are present in HR and are missing from Cyberpunk?

Out of all games on the list I gave, I feel like DAI is the closest one to being similar in spirit to the classic RPGs. TW3 is easiest to compare to Cyberpunk, one youtuber did just that and (as expected) Cyberpunk does indeed have more RPG features. Doesn't make it a better game, just more of an RPG.

Haven't played Borderlands and I'm not a fan of JRPGs, which leaves Skyrim and Fallout 4, so yeah, I agree with that one.

Regarding missing elements :
In Deus Ex HR perks influence more the gameplay. Are useful and affect gameplay. Like in Gothic 2.

Dialogue tree is more dynamic result in different cirsumstancies. Has almost perfect conversation systems.
Feels like your choices in the dialogue matter.

What you do in the game affect the world. In the begining you can head to Pritchard to fix your retinal display, you can go to the boss office, you can head directly to the chopper so that pilot can take you to the plant, or you can stand around building and hack for example the offices. Taking too long would have big consequence. when u arrive at the plant the hostages are dead. The result is ou have bad reputation among cops, other people, which means they will not help u in the future. Other character help me once also later in the game for being good guy.
More freedom and interactivity with the world. In one play i killed Seurat and i could not buy from him. In a another i could for i did not kill him. You can move items in the world like boxes, fridge, barells to acces areas or hide from camera or throw at enemy. Its fun.

The loot is low and make it more impacting the game. If u do not loot everything, if you lose a upgraded weapon.
Deus Ex has hacking like a mini-game. Very fun and suspensful. I would go and hack offices, building, garages as side activity. I would spend hours doing this.

Regarding witcher games : witcher 1, 2 are more rpg then cyberpunk. Witcher 3 had more outcomes for its quests and influence in the world. In Witcher 3 with fixed protagonist you can have different haircuts and facial hair style. In witcher 3 you have open world activities like a great mini game, horse races, hidden treasure which is a nice break from quests. You can go to hookers, you can go to tavern sit down and listen to some nice music and enjoy the atmosphere. In cyberpunk 2077 u cant even sit down. Common.

Witcher 3 and Deus Ex HR are much better games, better RPG.

But Diablo 1-2, Gothic1-2, Baldur Gate1-2, KOTOR 1-2, Fallout 1-2, Vampire MAsquarade games are even better rpgs then Witcher 3 and Deus Ex HR making Cyberpunk a shallow of RPG, mediocre game.

Last edited:
There is no roleplaying in this specifically because you are not yourself playing a role, not enacting the character of V in his or her setting as per roleplaying... as in playing-a-role, as in getting in-character and immersing yourself. You do not do that in this game, therefore it is not an RPG. You do not change V, you do not get to be you, you simply are part of an on-rails adventure/action game as they advertised. There is no roleplaying in here because you are V. You are not Geralt of Rivia, a written character in lore who somehow gets to make choices in his gameplay that affect the story and let you roleplay the Geralt you want... No, you are V, a fictional one-sided character crafted out of random by the developers who is written one way and one way only. There is only one route, one way to behave, one voice you hear when you play.

This is not a roleplaying game and the developers recognized that when they changed it to action-adventure. I am not sure why anyone is still concerned about this; the answer is clear. The developers scrapped a promise in the worst possible setting to do so. Literally everything in vanilla, pen-and-paper Cyberpunk is player driven as the plot is set in stone. This was the legit setting and rules crafted by Mike way back Wednesday. If you are not familiar with the idea, maybe you should have done Neuromancer 2020 or some other lore to establish your deep thinking.

For all the Hollywood hype and Keanu, there really was nothing deeper that he could have done for a plot that was literally about someone else hijacking the main character's plot... all the while they tried to live their childhood Cyberpunk fantasy of a character maybe one of the core corporate developers liked. Thank you CD and thank you Keanu for orchestrating disappointment in the most spectacular and expensive way possible.

As a parallel for your weird level of thinking, the more you delve into Johnny and his plot, he is no different from the same terrorists that sent two towers and thousands of lives to the ground. Try a little harder if you want me to be emotionally invested in someone who resulted, in-lore, in hundreds of thousands of deaths due to radiation poisoning. But do yourself a favor and try to write me as a good character as I am supposed to emotionally accept even an engram and false impression of a terrorist. Am I a bad character by design? Am I supposed to be the V that says yes to evil? Then I am not roleplaying. You wrote my V, not me. I never got to be myself in your world, you wrote an answer for me because you didn't listen to your development team. I get to be a corporate V, afterall, even though my start was very fucking different. Fuck off.

Edit 10.05 Hotfix: I had to edit some typos, let me see if I can hotfix out the fact that dialogue options consist of Cut Throat (Left SIde Start) or Cut Throat (Right). Not very enticing to be given choices on how I get to breathe, thanks. I am not impressed.

Disagree almost completely. Base on how you are describing it, then almost no game that is labelled as RPG, has the right to be called a RPG to begin with cause no game gives you enough liberty as to come up with a dialogue or decision you may have in mind, to proceed as to the NOW. And funny thing you bring up The Witcher 3 as an example.

Let's analize. The game (GM) has this predetermined character called V (Be) where he/she can have three different starting lifepaths which purpose is to serve as a reference to start molding your V around that fact. Knowing the universe's lore serves to role-play your V accordingly; same as knowing the lore when playing the tabletop 2020 RPG. Although, in my opinion, the lifepath mechanic doesn't do a great job introducing the player to the lore. They are too short.

Now, If I role-play my V to be a Nomad Engineer, who knows a lot about engine and he just likes driving Nomad cars and Nomads motorcycles, I can be it. I make my V drives Nomad cars only when traversing and choose lifepath + tech dialogues when it pleases me so according to when the game (GM) puts those options available (in addition, I must add, they are accurately well placed around the game if you analyze this, like for example, the moment you tell Jackie about his motorcycle; but this is for another subject).

NOTE: I'm not talking about missing features here. Pretty sure, someone may come here and reply me, "how can your V know about engine if it is not possible to car-tunning within the game?"

If I want my V to be in love first sight with Evelyn Parker, I can think my V does, and choose the dialogues the GM puts on screen as every dialogue counts to mold your V arround the scheme. Of course, you don't have the option to come up filtring with Evelyn Parker whenever you feel like it. You don't have the option to tell Evelyn Parker "I wanna have sex with you now"; NO RPG game gives you this level of instant decisions+consequences & subtleties; it doesn't even makes same. You follow the path and rules of what the GM tells you, and you choose dialogues as how you think your V should think within the situation put.

If I want my V so in love with Evelyn, the. I support her all the way. I don't tell Dexter about her behind scene schemes. I make my V jealous of Yorinobu Arasaka, by living the Braindance scene in first-hand and I question her more about it with the available dialogues about her past relation with Yorinobu. I tell her I'm all in with her deals. I'm gonna think even part of my V has no option than to call Evelyn Parker during the heist because my V was so blindly for her as a well as, of course, she being the only person you know that knows about the biochip integrity according to the GM and lore put (in case someone comes here complaining about no option to choose who to call at that moment).

Now, Evelyn's fate is always the same according to the game, however you still mold your V around that fact. Your V may be devastated, especially after:

finding out that the Voodo Boys were all behind it (which also, this information can be missed if you don't inquire enough). That puts another perpective on your V about Voodo Boys. Maybe your V has the decision set over killling The Voodo Boys due to what happened to Evelyn Parker over everthing else; if the game gives the option, which it DOES

There're many ways, many subtleties sorrounding the dialogues, decisions, and consequences (short and long span) to TRULY ROLE-PLAY your V around the path the game and everything Cyberpunk 2077 is build on in term of lore. The world is there, and you just need to approach it.

If you are gonna deny me this is role-playing, then funny thing. I can assure you that you thought out of the box during conversations and dialogue options, and you did it in multiple occasions. The game is written subtly for it.

Finally, again, taking genre change on the CD Projekt Red page as a barometer, is a laughable excuse.

Last edited:
Let's summurize my thoughs about the game :
- Someone in french Youtube called it an AAA narative game, which is quite accurate.
- The game lacks too much interaction in the world to be called RPG. Choice are not THAT impactfull, and the story is pretty much on rails. As a result, someone in US on Youtube told in CP77 the player explores the map and not the world, which means to me that CDPR miss the essence of RPGs.
- I'd call it a walk sim. With combat / driving / stealth, because this game, in my opinion, is a platform which miss about 50% of it content (or even more).
As a walk sim, it's not well received by the public because 33-50% of its current content have bugs, which breaks the fourth wall.

When the player explores an area, he immediatly receives a huge number of phones calls, which fills the map instantly. It's not well designed here. Between missions, CDPR should limit the spam of phone calls with a limit of 1 per 10 minutes. That would also cure that stupid double phone calls problem.

I want so much to mod that game...

Interesting this isn't an RPG yet W3 was yet at the same time this game gives you more agency. Geralt couldn't even kill an NPC for Christ's sake.

Interesting this isn't an RPG yet W3 was yet at the same time this game gives you more agency. Geralt couldn't even kill an NPC for Christ's sake.
Player agency isn't a special characteric of RPG (are JRPG, RPG ? Or narrative games ?).
Remove the story choices of a RPG and/or consequences of choices and you get a narrative game imo.

Also, in an RPG, you explore the world through it's geography first.
Here, you explore the world through it's map markers first. Therefor you have less agency in the second case than in the first in definitive, since the game tells you the path to follow. First case you explore, second case you follow.

Exploration is #1 characteritic of RPG.

"Killing an NPC" is a meaningless choice. You shouldn't put that in strong agency. And bugged / broken cop chases are the self-provided invisible walls that player impose to themselves to not kill NPCs.

The player have no escape to the main gameplay loop in CP77 => you follow a beacon 100% of the time in CP77.

The "return to the village" shopping/equipement phase from JRPG is broken since day 1 in CP77, since economy is broken since day 1.
You can't buy (broken prices + too much loot combo), and you can sell anything in a trash can never farer than 200m away. That's why some told badlands have a better setting btw (you have a true "return to the village" feeling there).

That economy (broken prices, broken shops, levelled shop lists) removes agency for the player also. You don't choose your equipement in CP77, you wait for the loot roulette to give it to you. Even if you have a "long term" goal of buying THIS gun for 120k eddies, this will take you hours to complete and the shoplist may have re-roll in the interval, so equipement choice is really forbidden by the game (atm).

I keep telling gamedesign choices were not good. They were not geared toward exploration.

Last edited:

What you're talking about is head canon.

What I want is to be able to talk myself through a situation, as one example, because I'm focused on a pacifist monk Cool build(not a non murdery build, actually pacifist). Sure, there are times Cool pops up in casual conversation, but they never return anything comparable to murdering your way through the game. If I'm trying to RP a gear head, I want to be able to spend money on parts to make my vehicle a tiny bit better, get a different exhaust sound, have a certain look, or w/e.

I'm not necessarily raging that these features aren't in the game a month after release, but I can't understand not wanting them. This experience is not complete enough to be satisfied with it, let alone making apologies for it by using your imagination to replace game systems that actually give you faculty and agency. Everything is scripted... none of the relationships you develop throughout the game impact the game you're playing in anyway outside Johnny and Panam.

None of this is saying the game can't add such systems to get there, but as things currently stand the My Player mode of Madden has a more variable storyline than Cyberpunk from one playthrough to the next. If my only options for quest completion are sneak and fight I don't really have options, and if the only difference between sneaking and fighting is the occasional bump in pay they matter even less. In a modern RPG you have options, and your choices affect the world in ways that are not limited to the player's imagination.

People can say ARPG means action RPG all they want, that doesn't make them the same thing.

@OrigNN It's one thing "modern RPG" removes from the players.
"The player must have a story lead" is that new dogmatic law stupid videogame designers took these days. In reality, players needs goals, not leads. Leads work against exploration, since leads are what reward exploration. You stop exploration when you have a lead.

Giving leads for free is the opposite of all modern researches in gamedesign in D&P RPG. VG RPG are 15 years late before the D&P RPG ones in term of exploration (Disco Elyseum or, again, Heaven's Vault are rare exceptions).
Modern VG "gamedesign" follows gamification studies made for social networks instead of true game studies. Giving leads for free is the pinnacle of social networks, where you follow a path choosen for you by algorithms : goals are blurred, leads are given : aka just scroll. Exploration is not something socal network wants you to do, and gamification studies, that provides lots of game theory these days, revolves around that.

To keep player's interest, CP places its design goal in the reward loop where it should be in the exploration loop.
Here, the game borrows too much from looter-shooter to ignore that reward was the design goal. In my opinion, reward / cyberpunk doesn't work together. Fixing CP's economy isn't only few number to change. It is required, to fix CP as a game, but still there are missing pages and pages of gamedesign doc to write there. Again, gamedesigners made a bad job on CP, in my opinion. (and that is just a simple opinion, "I speak from my couch, ya know...")

Only a few games have those kind of loop revolving around "true" exploration (Her Story isn't a RPG but is another exemple).
Post automatically merged:

Voodo Boys

(...)

If you are gonna deny me this is role-playing, then funny thing. I can assure you that you thought out of the box during conversations and dialogue options, and you did it in multiple occasions.
No, not in multiple occasions. The Voodoo boy point of the story is were it is written for that, but there is less than 3 times in the game that you can do this : begining when choosing the path, this point, and the end. And yes, this is a strong point in the game, and yes this was well done. TW3 is full of these moments.

But that voodoo boys parenthesis re-branch on the same point. So no matter what you choosed, you will still pass the episode and what was cristalized in the story for the player at that moment stays at that moment. No matter your choices, the plot result is the same : X is dead, Y is not your friend, and next you must go to Z.

Choices AND consequences.
Not meaningless choices : this is called illusionism Gming in D&P and, while I'm one of its craftsman in D&P GMing, it can't be used in VG for the same goals. In D&P you use it for rythm. In VG rythm isn't the same problem, since it's not a human that present a situation.

Meaningless choices is the cancer monster any VG RPG gamedesigner should avoid. CP doesn't hide this very well (like TW3 did).
Post automatically merged:

What you're talking about is head canon.

What I want is to be able to talk myself through a situation, as one example, because I'm focused on a pacifist monk Cool build(not a non murdery build, actually pacifist). Sure, there are times Cool pops up in casual conversation, but they never return anything comparable to murdering your way through the game. If I'm trying to RP a gear head, I want to be able to spend money on parts to make my vehicle a tiny bit better, get a different exhaust sound, have a certain look, or w/e.

I'm not necessarily raging that these features aren't in the game a month after release, but I can't understand not wanting them. This experience is not complete enough to be satisfied with it, let alone making apologies for it by using your imagination to replace game systems that actually give you faculty and agency. Everything is scripted... none of the relationships you develop throughout the game impact the game you're playing in anyway outside Johnny and Panam.

None of this is saying the game can't add such systems to get there, but as things currently stand the My Player mode of Madden has a more variable storyline than Cyberpunk from one playthrough to the next. If my only options for quest completion are sneak and fight I don't really have options, and if the only difference between sneaking and fighting is the occasional bump in pay they matter even less. In a modern RPG you have options, and your choices affect the world in ways that are not limited to the player's imagination.

People can say ARPG means action RPG all they want, that doesn't make them the same thing.
Denying rewards in that game is a true monk job :p
The game isn't made around it :)

(+ it doesn't solve the stealth paradox : stealth doesn't net the same material rewards as violence. It would be ok in a less "all is about reward" gameloop than CP :) )

Last edited:
I keep hearing lack of player choice.
You do realize that compounding decisions effect outcomes in this game.
If you make even the "technically" favorable decision in your mind you still may end up
with a bad outcome. Making choices in this game are rarely binary. They're organic and
I feel this is where a lot of people are misunderstanding the way the game was designed.
This is not Mass Effect where you have three options with resulting outcomes almost instantly
to communicate to the player in a blatant non nuanced way their decision right there in that moment
had a repercussion.

For instance there's a NPC you do missions with who will off a dude even if you plead for them not to do it.
The reason being you didn't previously make dialog choices that slowly steer that NPC in the right direction.
If you reload this sequence you will think your decisions don't matter as that NPC always will kill the gonk regardless what you say.
However, that NPC can be talked out of killing the gonk but you need to have had made previous dialog choices that align with V's
previous demeanor about the subject.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

In Deus Ex HR perks influence more the gameplay. Are useful and affect gameplay. Like in Gothic 2.
Maybe, but Cyberpunk still offers greater variety: In HR you only have perks (because Jensen is already full upgraded, you only need to re-enable specific functions), so of course perks are going to have greater influence than Cyberpunk's skills. But, in addition to skills, Cyberpunk features attributes, cyberware and mods, and all of that combined allows for more distinct playstyles.
What you do in the game affect the world. In the begining you can head to Pritchard to fix your retinal display, you can go to the boss office, you can head directly to the chopper so that pilot can take you to the plant, or you can stand around building and hack for example the offices. Taking too long would have big consequence. when u arrive at the plant the hostages are dead. The result is ou have bad reputation among cops, other people, which means they will not help u in the future. Other character help me once also later in the game for being good guy.
That's true. I'm glad they put it in the game, but I'm not sure why should this feature count as "RPG feature". In vast majority of RPGs I've played it makes no difference how much in-game time it takes for you to go from one mission to next.
More freedom and interactivity with the world. In one play i killed Seurat and i could not buy from him. In a another i could for i did not kill him. You can move items in the world like boxes, fridge, barells to acces areas or hide from camera or throw at enemy. Its fun.
You can kill Fingers and few other vendors during gigs.
The loot is low and make it more impacting the game. If u do not loot everything, if you lose a upgraded weapon.
Deus Ex has hacking like a mini-game. Very fun and suspensful. I would go and hack offices, building, garages as side activity. I would spend hours doing this.
Well, I agree that CP throws too much loot your way, I agree about it being completely unnecessary, but that still doesn't mean you have to loot everything you see. Why would you bother with picking up sniper rifles or SMGs if you play as a melee character?
Cyberpunk also has hacking mini-game. It's just not as fun as in HR.
Regarding witcher games : witcher 1, 2 are more rpg then cyberpunk. Witcher 3 had more outcomes for its quests and influence in the world. In Witcher 3 with fixed protagonist you can have different haircuts and facial hair style. In witcher 3 you have open world activities like a great mini game, horse races, hidden treasure which is a nice break from quests. You can go to hookers, you can go to tavern sit down and listen to some nice music and enjoy the atmosphere. In cyberpunk 2077 u cant even sit down. Common.
Witcher 1 is probably more of an RPG than Cyberpunk, but not by much. Average TW2 and 3 quest does have more outcomes than in CP2077, but that's all there is. Character customization, different builds, skillchecks in dialogue and exploration, level design suited for different approach (combat, stealth/lethal, stealth/non-lethal) etc... These are all categories where Cyberpunk has big advantage over Witcher.
As for taverns and sitting down to enjoy the music - you can't sit down in CP, that's true, you couldn't sit down in any Witcher game either, and you certainly can go to the clubs to enjoy the music.

Last edited by a moderator:
@batouyukinawa the problem of CP is not lacks of choices, it is lacks of consequences.

Typical choice :
- NPC gives ABC choices

=>
- Player choose A
- NPC replies 1
- Then NPC branch on DEF choice

OR

- Player choose B
- NPC replies 1 anyway, because 1 still works
- Then NPC branch on DEF choice

OR

- Player choose C
- NPC replies 2
- Then NPC branch on DEF choice (or AB).

Then the game ignores what you chose.

Apart with the voodoo boys arc, CP77 is filled with that. Approaches took by the player are also rarely an option and also yield no consequences. You may have one more dialog for this or that approach, maybe one item and that's it. The story doesn't change. The Parker arc have one following optional mission with Judy and this is appreciated.

+/-25% of the content of this game is main story anyway : most of the game are optional missions, containing atomic content, isolated mostly one from the other (so choice in them have no impact on the others).

For a start, lots of optional missions could have been used for branching content.

Top Bottom