Is this game an rpg?

+
With the same outcome. You die in 6 months.

And since they made the endings both wildly divergent and final in outcome, how can you even have a post-game DLC to elaborate? How are you gonna walk back the suicide ending, or having soulkiller used on you by Arasaka to store your engram in their database? Maybe Takemura will find you a suitable body despite the fact he just told you they didn't have the technology for it? In which case the technology is developed in as short a time span of 6 months.

Let's not even talk if you gave Johnny your body.

In other words, they would have to code the post-game DLC to require that you not choose any of those closed off endings that kill off V 100%. By which point you have problems because you release a product that bars certain users' save files from participating.

This has all been atrociously managed. We're going to be stuck with these garbage Mass Effect 3 style endings on top of getting DLC's that are basically mid-game DLC's that lead to nowhere because the endings will be the same anyways, leaving the feeling of any actions pointless.

you don't need to walk back suicide. If a player believes suicide was Vs end, they wanted an end to V's story.

They wouldn't have to walk back any digital answers, they could find new bodies for you, or have the story not continue in a body.

all the V characters don't need to have the same goal, or the same story. Just like act 3 had 3 different paths that told 3 different stories, they could do the same.

They could also drop dlc/expansions that provide an alternate path, side quests, and endings.

that said, initial dlc will probably be fairly small and not world changing. They said they had similar plans to witcher. free dlc is probably pre ending, expansions might go beyond the main quests.

With the same outcome. You die in 6 months.

And since they made the endings both wildly divergent and final in outcome, how can you even have a post-game DLC to elaborate? How are you gonna walk back the suicide ending, or having soulkiller used on you by Arasaka to store your engram in their database? Maybe Takemura will find you a suitable body despite the fact he just told you they didn't have the technology for it? In which case the technology is developed in as short a time span of 6 months.

Let's not even talk if you gave Johnny your body.

In other words, they would have to code the post-game DLC to require that you not choose any of those closed off endings that kill off V 100%. By which point you have problems because you release a product that bars certain users' save files from participating.

This has all been atrociously managed. We're going to be stuck with these garbage Mass Effect 3 style endings on top of getting DLC's that are basically mid-game DLC's that lead to nowhere because the endings will be the same anyways, leaving the feeling of any actions pointless.

Yes if you're being pessimistic, I think we should just hang back and chill out in general and give them time to see what they come up with, heck if they botch it up I'll be right there with you, but I don't like jumping the gun :)

Writing a post game DLC for V is easy sauce.

Look at the three life paths - oh no, how will they get all those divergent beginnings to end up at the same place? You lead them all to the same place and go from there. Just do the same thing with the endings we have now.

No, you don't need to include the suicide ending - that was a final ending. For those people (or people who just want to jump into the DLC) you create a blank starter V with a somewhat ambiguous past and jump into the story.

Really, this stuff happens all the time in stories. All you need is a little time skip and voila! threads suddenly tie back together. Start the DLC two or three months down the line - write a few paragraphs detailing what V's been doing in this time (these can be different based on the save game) and start up the first DLC mission.

After reading this thread, I realized that Far Cry 5 is an RPG.
You create your character, customize the appearance. You can upgrade weapons, buy cars.
You can go through missions shooting enemies, you can use stealth, you can use environments and wild animals. You can decide who to kill and who not to kill.
You can do side quests or not.
For completing missions the protagonist gets experience and perks - and not just +5% damage, but new abilities.
You have to complete three storylines to unlock the ending. At the end of the game you choose the ending.

Someone tell Ubisoft that they made an RPG and not a FPS in the open world.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I realized that Far Cry 5 is an RPG.
You create your character, customize the appearance. You can upgrade weapons, buy cars.
You can go through missions shooting enemies, you can use stealth, you can use environments and wild animals. You can decide who to kill and who not to kill.
You can do side quests or not.
For completing missions the protagonist gets experience and perks - and not just +5% damage, but new abilities.
You have to complete three storylines to unlock the ending. At the end of the game you choose the ending.

So what different roles do you play in Far Cry 5 if you don't mind me asking?

Guest 3847602

Haven't played 4 and 5, but if they've included dialogue choices and specific builds (so you can't unlock every single ability with one character), then yes, it is indeed an action RPG like Cyberpunk or Mass Effect.

So what different roles do you play in Far Cry 5 if you don't mind me asking?
You can play the role of Rambo and level up your shooting skills. You can play the role of a spy and complete missions without being noticed. You can play the role of an operative and quietly eliminate enemies.
You can play the role of an animal friend and use them to eliminate enemies.
You can play the role of driver and shoot enemies without leaving a car.
You can play role of pilot and shoot enemies from your helicopter.

If we say that the different gameplay options in Cyberpunk make it a Role Playing Game, then this is also true for Far Cry 5.
Post automatically merged:

Haven't played 4 and 5, but if they've included dialogue choices
No, there is no dialogue choices in FC5.
But the thing is, I often don't understand why CDPR even made a dialogue system in Cyberpunk if it has almost no effect on anything. Most dialogues have 1 answer choice. If there are 2 choices, they probably mean the same thing.
And I really didn't expect this after The Witcher 3, where dialogues played a big role: choices and consequences were present in even the smallest quests.

In Mass Effect, thanks to the dialogue system, I can play the renegade Shepard, the professional Shepard, or the paragon Shepard. I don't have to always choose just one direction. I can be kind to some team members, professional to others.

In Cyberpunk V is always the same V. Sometimes he talks like Nomad or Corpo, but most of the time it's the same character in every playthrough.

So the problem is not only that choices in Cyberpunk dialogues don't lead to consequences, but also how much those dialogues are restrictive to the player. Only one dialogue choice in an RPG? I haven't seen that anywhere before Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
You can play the role of Rambo and level up your shooting skills. You can play the role of a spy and complete missions without being noticed. You can play the role of an operative and quietly eliminate enemies.

If we say that the different gameplay options in Cyberpunk make it a Role Playing Game, then this is also true for Far Cry 5.

But is combat the only option?

Post automatically merged:

No, there is no dialogue choices in FC5.
But the thing is, I often don't understand why CDPR even made a dialogue system in Cyberpunk if it has almost no effect on anything. Most dialogues have 1 answer choice. If there are 2 choices, they probably mean the same thing.
And I really didn't expect this after The Witcher 3, where dialogues played a big role: choices and consequences were present in even the smallest quests.

dialog effects a lot of things in cyberpunk. That whole narrative is factually false on many levels. Not every dialog option in a an RPG is going to change things, because in an RPG many options are to act out a role, or to gain information.

Maybe witcher had less of these options, because witcher has predetermined characters/personalities, and predetermines the amount of information a player should have.

that does not make it more RPG, it actually makes it less.

but yes, choices effect side quests, gigs, and main quests, and even the ingame world.

Guest 3847602

It's mostly for flavour, deciding the tone of conversation. It's not that different from TW3, only the last dialogue choice would sometimes lead to a tangibly different outcome. It was still handled better in TW3, you could see the effects of your actions more often, but, in the end CP2077 and TW3 are more similar in this regard than TW3 and TW2. TW2 gave you branching paths, TW3 gave you linear story where you could only affect the ending.

But is combat the only option?
It depends on the mission. If the mission involves walking around with NPCs and dialogues, there will be no combat. If the mission involves obtaining an item, the player chooses how to obtain it.

Not every dialog option in a an RPG is going to change things, because in an RPG many options are to act out a role, or to gain information.
But you can't play different roles in Cyberpunk 2077. You are the same V, no matter what you say. You can't even say something wrong in Cyberpunk. For example, in Automatic Love quest you can choose what V think about what happened to Evelyn. Options are "It's cyberpsychosis" or "she was hacked remotely". Try to choose first line and V will say "It looks like cyberpshychosis, but i think she was hacked remotely".
Why should the player even be given the choice of dialogue at this point? Replace it with a cutscene and nothing will change.

I remember people criticizing Fallout 4 for its limited dialogues choices. Five years later, Cyberpunk comes out where most dialogues have 1 answer choice and everyone is happy? Am I in a parallel reality?

By the way, can you give me examples of RPG, where the player would have only 1 choice in most dialogues?

but yes, choices effect side quests, gigs, and main quests, and even the ingame world.
I can give you example from Witcher 3. When you find Baron's child, you can attack her or not. If you don't attack, you need to help Baron to get back to his castle. If you attack, you will get completley different quest with different characters, different dialgoues and different task.

If you let Keira to meet Radovid, later in the game you will get unique quest about her death with unique dialogues. If you decide to fight her, you will get unique boss fight and she will not save Lambert in another story quest at Kaer Morhen (if your different decisions will lead to Lambert's death), if you convinces her to go to Kaer Morhen, she can save Lambert or just help in Battle.

And all of this in The Witcher 3 depends on your choices in the dialogues.
Can you give me an example of something like that in Cyberpunk story quests? I went through the game twice, specifically chose different lines and didn't see anything like that.

TW3 gave you linear story where you could only affect the ending.
The path to the ending will be different for players, depending on the decisions they make in the storyline of The Witcher 3. In Cyberpunk, the path is the same.

cyberpunk 2077.png
witcher 3.png

Last edited:
It depends on the mission. If the mission involves walking around with NPCs and dialogues, there will be no combat. If the mission involves obtaining an item, the player chooses how to obtain the it.

What I meant was this - does the player have a choice to not be a combatant, and I'm not referring to dialogue sections, I mean the actual mission, does not killing and not being detected count as valid approaches in every mission or as a general gameplay options when you deal with enemy NPC's?

It depends on the mission. If the mission involves walking around with NPCs and dialogues, there will be no combat. If the mission involves obtaining an item, the player chooses how to obtain the it.

But you can't play different roles in Cyberpunk 2077. You are the same V, no matter what you say. You can't even say something wrong in Cyberpunk. For example, in Automatic Love quest you can choose what V think about what happened to Evelyn. Options are "It's cyberpsychosis" or "she was hacked remotely". Try to choose first line and V will say "It looks like cyberpshychosis, but i think she was hacked remotely".
Why should the player even be given the choice of dialogue at this point? Replace it with a cutscene and nothing will change. By the way, can you give me examples of RPG, where the player would have only 1 choice in most dialogues?

Can you give me examples of dialgoue choices that affect main quests? I can give you example from Witcher 3. When you find Baron's child, you can attack her or not. If you don't attack, you need to help Baron to get back to his castle. If you attack, you will get completley different quest with different characters, different dialgoues and different task.

If you let Keira to meet Radovid, later in the game you will get unique quest about her death with unique dialogues. If you decide to fight her, you will get unique boss fight and she will not save Lambert in another story quest at Kaer Morhen (if your different decisions will lead to Lambert's death), if you convinces her to go to Kaer Morhen, she can save Lambert or just help in Battle.

And all of this in The Witcher 3 depends on your choices in the dialogues.
Can you give me an example of something like that in Cyberpunk story quests? I went through the game twice, specifically chose different lines and didn't see anything like that.

The path to the ending will be different for players, depending on the decisions they make in the storyline of The Witcher 3. In Cyberpunk, the path is the same.

View attachment 11178197View attachment 11178200

you are not the same V. The V who says fuck you Johnny, and the v who says we re best friends, isn't the same V. V who doesn't care about Jackie isn't the same V. V who has constant arguments with pan am isn't the same. V who refuses to kill/do hit jobs isn't the same V.

the pickup: decision decides fight maelstrom or fight militech, meredith dies or Gilchrist dies. unlocks different npcs at totentantz

Judy friendship convos, determine future Judy relationships, judies appearance in the ending.

voodoo boys, side with netrunners, side with vodoo boys, kill voodooboys (agro in area) don't kill (neutral in area)

panam friendship, unlock separate ending path, and further quests, side with Saul, unlock unique car.

choose to help maiko take over clouds, take bribe. Judy never leaves night city,

panam quest, kill raffen per her request, she shares room with you. Skip raffen she doesn't.

talk to guard holding mitch hostage succesfully, can get to hellman without beef

takamura: listen to Johnny, or search building to find takamura, spare oda. alters corpo ending.

do Johnnie's quests, unlock rogue ending path. befriend Kerry, unlocks us cracks quests.

befriend Aldecado, unlocks a side gig where you help them with scavs.

where does Jackie's body go, unlock funeral, unlock engram, unlock memory

Gustavo Orta, get in unnoticed, can convince him to leave town.

sinnerman kill Joshua in the car, or do whole questline and nail him to the cross

spare dude get Johnnie's car

conversation choices with Johnny, unlock secret ending

takamura roof observation, multiple methods of breaking into Arasaka including stealing a uniform and going in van, bribe guard.

river, save his family, or fail to save nephew. unlocks Peralez mission

there are many other consequences, and interactions, even in smaller quests, and many different quest resolutions. It is literally false that conversation choices don't effect the game story/world/charachters

I mean the actual mission, does not killing and not being detected count as valid approaches in every mission
Not in all missions. Just as not all Cyberpunk missions can be completed by stealth. In The Witcher 3 there is no stealth option at all, but the game is an RPG.

The V who says fuck you Johnny, and the v who says we re best friends, isn't the same V.
If you tell Johnny to fuck off, you're just going to miss the dialogue with him. You can't make Johnny your enemy.
If you skip the dialogue in the game, it doesn't make the character different V. If you turn off the game, it doesn't make the V a character who has given up.

V who doesn't care about Jackie isn't the same V.
I found no options in the dialogues to treat Jackie very neutrally or say him to fuck off. All of the V dialogues with him are friendly.

the pickup: decision decides fight maelstrom or fight militech, meredith dies or Gilchrist dies. unlocks different npcs at totentantz
Yes, it's a great mission with choices and consequences. Every mission in the game (gig, side job) should be like Pickup. That's would be Witcher 3 level of quests.
Judy friendship convos
I tried to be rude with Judy, she still offer me her side jobs. So my dialgoues with her in story missions doesn't affect anything. Replace it with cutscenes and nothing will change.
voodoo boys, side with netrunners, side with vodoo boys
This decision has no consequences for the player. Even if you don't side with the Watch, you can still kill Voodooboys. They won't appear in the story any more, no one will avenge them and won't help in future quests if you let them live.
panam friendship
Be rude to her in story missions and she still offer you a side jobs. So dialogues with her in story missions have no consequenсes. Repalce it with cutscenes and nothing will change.

And so on. Almost all of the decisions you described only have an effect on the dialogues. Or deprive the player of some content without offering anything in return. By comparison, in The Witcher 3, you don't lose content by making a choice. You get extra content in exchange for other content.
In The Witcher 3, the decision about the Baron's child leads to two different quests with different characters, dialogues and cut-scenes.
In Cyberpunk, you may or may not agree to do an extra quest.

I don't understand why you think these are equal examples.

If killing Woodman in the Automatic Love quest led to a new quest with new characters and dialogues to help V find the Fingers Clinic, it could be compared to The Witcher 3.

What is the point of the dialogues with Joshua in the Sinnerman quest? You can't talk him out of his decision. You can't trick Rachel into giving you the money and still continue the quest.
You can't even kill Joshua after you get in the car.
All of your decisions in this quest lead to only one phone conversation at the end.

By the way, I still hope that you can name another RPG besides Cyberpunk, where most of the dialogues have only 1 dialogue choice.

Last edited:
Not in all missions. Just as not all Cyberpunk missions can be completed by stealth. In The Witcher 3 there is no stealth option at all, but the game is an RPG.

So you're telling me as a general rule you can go around Far Cry 5 and not kill anyone and still complete the missions and the game?

Yes in fact, in Cyberpunk all the missions have an option to not engage in direct combat, including the boss fights, every boss in the game has a stealth take-down option and mechanics associated with it.

Many missions offer dialogue options to bypass combat all together.

All these things serve the player's actions in confinement of a role they chose to play.

As far as I can tell from playing Far Cry you're always a combatant and there's no other role to pick from, just like in Assassin's Creed you're playing the role of an assassin, the character of this combatant is limited to the linear narrative and cannot be molded by player choice hence why RPG cannot be used as a main descriptor of the game.

The Witcher 3 is a narrative driven RPG, just like Cyberpunk, but unlike Cyberpunk you're stuck to playing one role, the role of a witcher, the role has different facets to it, like dialogue options to shape the character of Geralt.

In this respect Cyberpunk is a deeper role playing experience as the character of V is not confined by a singular role, they can be a Solo, Netrunner, Assassin, Ghost etc. and also has the narrative options to shape V's past and current character.

In Far Cry you're stuck to playing a combatant akin to Assassin's Creed, there's no other option, you can chose how to approach combat, but you can't avoid it as a rule, it's the main gameplay loop, while both The Witcher and Cyberpunk have options to bypass combat with role play mechanics, some through general gameplay other through narrative choices.

Such a branching system is not part of Far Cry, which is primarily a first person shooter set in an open world with skill system elements, which do not serve anything else but how to facilitate the combat which cannot be avoided.

That does not exclude the fact that a lot of the genres today have a blurry line in between them, they overlap borrowing elements from other genres but it's not always the focus.

In Cyberpunk and The Witcher, the character development is the focus, this is not the case in Far Cry.

Last edited:

If you tell Johnny to fuck off, you're just going to miss the dialogue with him. You can't make Johnny your enemy.
If you skip the dialogue in the game, it doesn't make the character different V. If you turn off the game, it doesn't make the V a character who has given up.

I found no options in the dialogues to treat Jackie very neutrally or say him to fuck off. All of the V dialogues with him are friendly.

Yes, it's a great mission with choices and consequences. Every mission in the game (gig, side job) should be like Pickup. That's would be Witcher 3 level of quests.

I tried to be rude with Judy, she still offer me her side jobs. So my dialgoues with her in story missions doesn't affect anything. Replace it with cutscenes and nothing will change.

This decision has no consequences for the player. Even if you don't side with the Watch, you can still kill Voodooboys. They won't appear in the story any more, no one will avenge them and won't help in future quests if you let them live.

Be rude to her in story missions and she still offer you a side jobs. So dialogues with her in story missions have no consequenсes. Repalce it with cutscenes and nothing will change.

And so on. Almost all of the decisions you described only have an effect on the dialogues. Or deprive the player of some content without offering anything in return. By comparison, in The Witcher 3, you don't lose content by making a choice. You get extra content in exchange for other content.
In The Witcher 3, the decision about the Baron's child leads to two different complete quests with different characters, dialogues and cut-scenes.
In Cyberpunk, you may or may not agree to do an extra quest.

I don't understand why you think these are equal examples.

If killing Woodman in the Automatic Love quest led to a new quest with new characters and dialogues to help V find the Fingers Clinic, it could be compared to The Witcher 3.

What is the point of the dialogues with Joshua in the Sinnerman quest? You can't talk him out of his decision. You can't trick Rachel into giving you the money and still continue the quest.
You can't even kill Joshua after you get in the car.
All of your decisions in this quest lead to only one phone conversation at the end.

By the way, I still hope that you can name another RPG besides Cyberpunk, where most of the dialogues have only 1 dialogue choice.
most diaglog prompts are not one choice, and the ones that are saying nothing is the other choice.
You can in fact get cut off from Judy and pan am missions. Get them more angry.

not killing Woodman in the office opens up a side mission later on where Judy can get her revenge personally.
You can choose not to kill the voodoo boys at all, making VDBs neutral.
you can ruin Joshua's performance making the BD a failure.

i literally showed multiple instances of different stories, changed events, different paths added quests, changed world options that changed outcomes. Your response is essentially I don't care about these changes, so they don't exist.

you can say you don't care about the choices in the game or you don't like the choices.

to say they don't effect the plot, story, characters, or world is 100% incorrect, and apparently you already knew this.

my beef was never your subjective comparison to witcher 3, my beef was you said no dialog choices change anything in the game. You literally can't get certain endings, or certain relationships based on your dialog, you apparently knew that the world, the lore, the endings, and the characters, side quests, bonus quests are all effected by your choices, so why were you saying they were not?

Last edited:
Top Bottom