Is this game an rpg?

+
Missed "interaction with world", which Skyrim has and CP falls short on. For me, this is what makes the RPG feel like you are doing more than the action adventure missions that the devs expect you to complete. Being able to go everywhere in an open world is rather pointless when, once you get there, all you can do is stare at it.

Since I mentioned it, "open world" is true, but this is basically within the bounds of the action adventure narrative from the developers. Too many times, once you are done with a quest, you cannot return. The place is a "set" that is only used for the quest. Doors no longer work where one would expect that they should still work. Places that are not used as set pieces are, too frequently, just back drops. Doors are unopenable. Containers cannot be interacted with. People have nothing interesting to say.

CP2077 is an RPG game, and I have no doubt of that, but it isn't an RPG game that encourages the player to stick around. There are action-adventure reasons to stick around, but not really RPG reasons.

Edit: If they have decided to recast the game as "action adventure story" rather than "action adventure RPG", they were correct in that decision.
What? More interaction with the world? What are you talking about? Only thing I can think of is the house creation in skyrim.

How many doors are openable in NC vs skyrim world? I bet there is a lot more in NC :)

Once you complete quests in Skyrim, what is there to go back for? Since you mean it's different?

Isn't 99% of the world in Skyrim totally static? I meant what else can you do to a tree or a stone then stare at it?

also, what interesting does random npc have to say in Skyrim?

Please explain because I played both games and I do not understand!

Since we're arguing semantics and definitions, Soulsbourne games aren't jRPG's - they're western RPG's (which happen to be made in Japan). A church doesn't have to be built in Germany to be called a gothic cathedral.

As for people comparing this game to Skyrim:

In Skyrim you can join various guilds, take part in either side of a civil war, and alter your character by becoming a werewolf or vampire. You have various crafting skills armor/weapons and potions. You can customize your gear using enchantments.

Cyberpunk doesn't hold a candle to Skyrim in the RPG department, and no, cyberpunk isn't an RPG. It just has some RPG elements.
Wait, have you even played CP2077?

You can customize your gear using enchantments.
You can upgrade your gear and put in mods.

You have various crafting skills armor/weapons and potions.
You have crafting levels and once you obtain a blueprint you can craft armor/weapons/potions/hacking mods/grenades.

In Skyrim you can join various guilds, take part in either side of a civil war, and alter your character by becoming a werewolf or vampire.
While you can't become a vampire you can alter yourself to become a cyborg also you choose which side in the war you take against arasaka.... Obviously.

I don't see a difference.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say better. More like different. Of course to engage a quest giver you have to talk to them directly.
However, how many times has your boss arrived at your door asking you to do a last minute change to the current project.
Never? Duh, we have phones.
Im totaly fine with the phones, but there should be an option to NOT pick up. Also maybe actualy meet the Fixer face to face the first time, not just get a call from some random like the two of you go back years.

What? More interaction with the world? What are you talking about? Only thing I can think of is the house creation in skyrim.

How many doors are openable in NC vs skyrim world? I bet there is a lot more in NC :)

Once you complete quests in Skyrim, what is there to go back for? Since you mean it's different?

Isn't 99% of the world in Skyrim totally static? I meant what else can you do to a tree or a stone then stare at it?

also, what interesting does random npc have to say in Skyrim?

Please explain because I played both games and I do not understand!
skyrims bounty system is on another level than 2077 and their AI, it really puts the AI in 2077 to shame. I think 95% of the doors in skyrim can be opened, but i would hope there's more in NC since its a bigger world. You must've not played Skyrim thoroughly . Joining different Factions creates different dialouge and NPC responses, NPCs can get killed and you lose them for the rest of the game. You can get married in the game if you want lol. It has that abundance of choice that 2077 is lacking. Don't even start with the mod's, the mod's made Skyrim as one of the best star war games in a long time lol. But 2077 is not an rpg even though it was beated into our heads for 7yrs that it was, then the last year it became an open world action adventure, so we got to stop looking at it as one.

skyrims bounty system is on another level than 2077 and their AI, it really puts the AI in 2077 to shame. I think 95% of the doors in skyrim can be opened, but i would hope there's more in NC since its a bigger world.
Like said, there is like few thousand doors more in NC then Skyrim, openable doors are also more.

You must've not played Skyrim thoroughly . Joining different Factions creates different dialouge and NPC responses,
Same in Cyberpunk.

NPCs can get killed and you lose them for the rest of the game.
Same in Cyberpunk. You can choose to kill some NPCs and it will affect your options later.

You can get married in the game if you want lol. It has that abundance of choice that 2077 is lacking.
That's just terrible comparence... Hello? You can have sex in Cyberpunk, can you in Skyrim?
Don't even start with the mod's, the mod's made Skyrim as one of the best star war games in a long time lol. But 2077 is not an rpg even though it was beated into our heads for 7yrs that it was, then the last year it became an open world action adventure, so we got to stop looking at it as one.
Mods will probably end up being more then skyrim in the end. Dude the game have been out for like two months... Already many mods! Live with it :)

skyrims bounty system is on another level than 2077 and their AI, it really puts the AI in 2077 to shame. I think 95% of the doors in skyrim can be opened, but i would hope there's more in NC since its a bigger world. You must've not played Skyrim thoroughly . Joining different Factions creates different dialouge and NPC responses, NPCs can get killed and you lose them for the rest of the game. You can get married in the game if you want lol. It has that abundance of choice that 2077 is lacking. Don't even start with the mod's, the mod's made Skyrim as one of the best star war games in a long time lol. But 2077 is not an rpg even though it was beated into our heads for 7yrs that it was, then the last year it became an open world action adventure, so we got to stop looking at it as one.

Dude I would advise you not to waste anymore time. You could offer all the proofs of the world and yet somehow CP2077 will come off as some sort of untouchable miracle. Doesn't help that we are in CDPR forum, but still.
As you can see there are always the same 4-5 users writing the same thing with every answer without offering an actual rebuttal which speaks volumes about this mess.

Like said, there is like few thousand doors more in NC then Skyrim, openable doors are also more.

Same in Cyberpunk.

Same in Cyberpunk. You can choose to kill some NPCs and it will affect your options later.

That's just terrible comparence... Hello? You can have sex in Cyberpunk, can you in Skyrim?

Mods will probably end up being more then skyrim in the end. Dude the game have been out for like two months... Already many mods! Live with it :)
choosing to kill some NPC, is not all NPCs lol.
yes sex lots of sex with the same person, are you 12 or 13?
and also...um you know us pheasants on console don't get mods for big bad cyberpunk.

choosing to kill some NPC, is not all NPCs lol.
yes sex lots of sex with the same person, are you 12 or 13?
and also...um you know us pheasants on console don't get mods for big bad cyberpunk.
Wait... Can you kill all NPCs in skyrim?? How is didn't knew that?!

I think I'm older then you, because I for one know the answer to "who would want to get married in a game?"

So it's possible to get mods for skyrim on playstation?

Wait... Can you kill all NPCs in skyrim?? How is didn't knew that?!

I think I'm older then you, because I for one know the answer to "who would want to get married in a game?"

So it's possible to get mods for skyrim on playstation?
yes you can kill basically 95% even the main quest characters.

yes skyrim has mods on playstation and xbox

you are actually wrong.

you don't need to loot random enemies to have the best gear in game, in fact it is the worst way to gear up

you can be a complete ass and say fuck everybody

there multiple ways to complete many quests.

you can refuse many quests that don't fit your character.

Quests it make sense to talk your way out of, you can talk your way out of. Quests that don't, you can't, the same is true for the other games.

you can talk to Woodman to find out where Evelyn is, or you can kill him. You can steal a VIP pass and walk around freely, or you can beat up everyone, or you can sneak through windows.

Almost no encounter needs to be solved by shooting and killing. You can kill no one in this game, you can never use a gun outside of car chase scenes and Johnny Memories.

Running in and out isn't "gamey" thats how many things are done irl , if the objective is obtain X. And thats not due to difficulty, its usually harder to run in and out than to eliminate the enemies.

Mass effects morality system was cartoonish and illogical. I don't think it was a great example of choices of and rpgness. But to each their own.

In what real life scenario would you be able to run through a whole ware house of commandos with AK or what not and not die ? That is a very gamey tactic.

Yeah, you can talk your way through some things but it is very, very few and about some of the options you are talking about will fail the mission if you for example go through roof instead of front door.

How are you talking your way out of the psychos and police gigs ?
You can't even do them in a sneaky way, the closest you can get is using system reset on psychos but that to me is still active combat.

Police gigs you can't even do that sure you can do on one or two if they are close and you have legendary one but the rest you need to shoot, or elctrocute or soemthing.

I still claim at least 90% will need you to shoot things, if you want to finish everything.

Most story related missions there is no way to be bad and fuck all screw all they are still your friends it's impossible to get anyone killed off that will help with ending. It is impossible to save jackie. All big changes in the game are forced and not really up to you and your actions.

The mass effect way was just a way to display to player what path your character was taking and here is a thing about RPG also choices and decisions should be done by "your character" so if your character is mostly a good person they can't all of a sudden do something really bad.

Or as Fallout games if you are not good enough with esplosives you cannot talk about how to make or use TNT.

While there are some things like that in CP also the difference is that in CP you still almost always end up in the same ending in the convo there are no changes.

The only place this happened that did surprise me was when talking to the guy in the doll house, if you done a special quest line to the end before going there you can talk him into helping you. This is something there should have been a lot more of.

And technically you can finish the game without killing anyone even by using weapons since there is cyberware making all your damage non-lethatl.

In what real life scenario would you be able to run through a whole ware house of commandos with AK or what not and not die ? That is a very gamey tactic.

Yeah, you can talk your way through some things but it is very, very few and about some of the options you are talking about will fail the mission if you for example go through roof instead of front door.

How are you talking your way out of the psychos and police gigs ?
You can't even do them in a sneaky way, the closest you can get is using system reset on psychos but that to me is still active combat.

Police gigs you can't even do that sure you can do on one or two if they are close and you have legendary one but the rest you need to shoot, or elctrocute or soemthing.

I still claim at least 90% will need you to shoot things, if you want to finish everything.

Most story related missions there is no way to be bad and fuck all screw all they are still your friends it's impossible to get anyone killed off that will help with ending. It is impossible to save jackie. All big changes in the game are forced and not really up to you and your actions.

The mass effect way was just a way to display to player what path your character was taking and here is a thing about RPG also choices and decisions should be done by "your character" so if your character is mostly a good person they can't all of a sudden do something really bad.

Or as Fallout games if you are not good enough with esplosives you cannot talk about how to make or use TNT.

While there are some things like that in CP also the difference is that in CP you still almost always end up in the same ending in the convo there are no changes.

The only place this happened that did surprise me was when talking to the guy in the doll house, if you done a special quest line to the end before going there you can talk him into helping you. This is something there should have been a lot more of.

And technically you can finish the game without killing anyone even by using weapons since there is cyberware making all your damage non-lethatl.

running in and out is a common form of thievery IRL, look up smash and grab.
sneaking is another common form, usually called burglary.
this not a "gamey" mechanic.

How easy it to do depends on the situation, and in game, it is usually harder than killing things. You can in fact do it in many situations, even if you would die in 1-2 hits. Its less "gamey" than combat in general, but this is a game, combat is simulated. Its an rpg, so things are based mostly on stats. It was said this is only possible due to being overpowered, when its actually possible because if the game doesn't tell you you must kill, it should be possible.

by shoot, you mean what exactly? because there is also hand to hand, knives bats, swords and monowires. Assuming you mean combat.

is choking some one considered combat?

what do you consider being completely undetected?

Look, if the quest objective is kill or capture someone, Whether you can do it is about the situation. You can't talk you way out of everything in mass effect, or Skyrim, or any other game I played(or real life come to think of it) You can actually do it a decent amount in this game.

almost every steal gig is doable without combat.
most rescue gigs are doable without combat
every blue assault mission only requires you to find the evidence.
Most hitjobs require you to capture or kill, but many of them actually have dialog options if you can reach the target undetected.
blue skull missions require combat, thats the mission, to capture or kill everyone in the area
every stash mission doesn't require combat.

cyberpsychos you must capture or kill, thats the premise, these are not reasonable people you can talk to.

you can finish the game mostly non lethaly, without the non lethal attachment. blunt weapons and most quick hacks are non lethal, as long as you don't double tap. The only time you have to use a gun is the car chase stuff.

there is also a lot of options based on your Skills. Tech often opens other paths, Int often allows you to gain special info. Body has multiple situations where you can intimidate to avoid combat.

As far as talking your way out, there is way more of that than you think. Sometimes it requires not alerting enemies in order to get that option, or the proper sequence of talking/stats/events

Id say the vast majority of the game does not require combat, though its harder, especially if you cant even knock people out. Some of it does. but no one claimed this was a completely pacifist game. neither are most other RPGs.

You could offer all the proofs of the world and yet somehow CP2077 will come off as some sort of untouchable miracle. Doesn't help that we are in CDPR forum, but still.

You'd have to be a fool to think that Cyberpunk is flawless and everything went smoothly and I really don't think anyone is arguing that here, it's mere logical fallacies and subjective opinions that come out as facts that's being debated in this thread as far as I'm aware.

As you can see there are always the same 4-5 users writing the same thing with every answer without offering an actual rebuttal which speaks volumes about this mess.

I just have. :)
Post automatically merged:

No you can't, if the NPC is related to a quest it's not possible to kill them.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Essential_NPCs

I can't wait for people to explain to me how the story in Skyrim branches...

If the Mass Effect series is considered RPG, then Cyberpunk 2077 is as well. There is a focus on narrative and character skill progression, though as with all AAA titles in this amorphous genre (action RPG) since 2011 (and the heyday of New Vegas and Dragon Age: Origins), meaningful player choices are limited mostly to whether or not to engage with available content.

I'd consider Cyberpunk 2077 an AAA open world action adventure with RPG elements, that permits a wide variety of gameplay experiences, at least within "hostile territory". There's no shame in that: its what the market has demanded and what supports 9-digit AAA development budgets, and for players like me who mostly play video games to explore fictional worlds, I think the idealized Cyberpunk 2077 (after the bugs are patched and the side-job presentation becomes more immersive) to be a very good iteration of the genre.

Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.
More of a very expensive movie as I spent more time stuck in cut scenes than I did playing the game!

Gotta get it out there that I'm not 100% against the game. It's a damn beautiful city if u point the camera UP. It's a VERY COOL WORLD, it's just not what it should be. Guys this is a world where u can switch out body parts, but cant get a new haircut or tattoo. ALL GEAR only affects combat....we need social stats!!! We should be able to sit in ANY CHAIR Bethesda style or legit have an animation for taking a shot at a bar. What about Braindances??! What about the "unprecedented number of romance options "? CDPR told us SOOOO MANY things in interviews and articles that they havent delivered on. Personally IM NOT REFUNDING, I'm hanging in there cause they did the Witcher!!! They can SOO do this they just need to focus and give us OPTIONS, and a truly LIVING, BREATHING CITY like they said.

Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.
You R NOT WRONG!! I was pumped for this RPG in this type of world, but was given an Action/Adventure game instead. I personally STILL play the tabletop EVERY OTHER TUESDAY! It's such a cool world but this video game adaptation is not done correctly. It's all just fight, fight, fight. "Oh u got some eddies from ur last 2 missions? Awesome! Now spend them on NEW WEAPONS OR CLOTHES FOR LITERALLY MORE COMBAT!!!" Wheres the opportunity to LIVE in this world like I do every other Tuesday?

Dude I would advise you not to waste anymore time. You could offer all the proofs of the world and yet somehow CP2077 will come off as some sort of untouchable miracle. Doesn't help that we are in CDPR forum, but still.
Get em!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom