Is this game an rpg?

+
Actually from GOG no:
1614803058665.png

Marketing tends to target different audiences through different media,so you might argue that in twitter they target a broader audience while in GOG they want to appeal hits by RPG fans. So both captures actually doesn´t seem relevant to me for what is being discussed.

Last edited:
View attachment 11188885
does this answers the question?
So... yes? Action-adventure story game is a broad classification that can also be considered a role playing game. Calling it action-adventure story broadens the potential market, since it is an action game, and an adventure game, without excluding role playing game. (edit: some people are afraid of role playing games and won't buy them)

I think that's why so much criticism is directed and placed upon this game because there is a fundamental lack of realizing that the game is designed to experienced like an RPG; so that being said, the atmosphere and feelings invoked are quite important as well as anything else, and you need to have kind of like this ability to comprehend or adequately experience the game in a specific way without expecting or relying on non-stop bombastic thrills and explosions.

But then I honestly cannot really think of many other games to compare it to right now besides maybe the Mass Effect series and other RPG's like Final Fantasy, where you are supposed to enjoy the vast amount of subtleties in the games, that often go without being spoken. I don't play outright pure action games that often I guess so it is harder for me to compare. I just think of like Halo or something where everything is kind of beaten over the head of the player and very obvious.

Along with the stat and attack trees, the ability to level up and change your equipment or gear I don't see how it could be denied to possessing RPG elements. The atmosphere and tone are really important to game along with the story and characters. I guess I imagine that action purists are somehow disapointed because like I said it relies on a lot of subtitles of mood and environment which makes maybe the ADHD-addled among us bored and oblivious to certain aspects of the game or it just falls flat for a lot of people, but then again, the themes and art styles are a whole other topic for me altogether but this is coming from someone who could pass for an art school student, so...

Last edited:
Actually from GOG no:
View attachment 11188888

Marketing tends to target different audiences through different media,so you might argue that in twitter they target a broader audience while in GOG they want to appeal hits by RPG fans. So both captures actually doesn´t seem relevant to me for what is being discussed.
Actualy from gog:https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077
Screenshot_20210304-072519.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Three questions:
1) Do you think it's coincidence that all those games you mentioned except D:OS were released between 18 and 11 years ago and D:OS had to be funded through Kickstarter?
2) Do you think there's inverse correlation between depth and complexity of an RPG and their sales?
3) Do you think a AAA studio like CDPR can afford to sell as many copies of Cyberpunk as those games did?
The explanation is gaming has declining.
Game releases have less depth and complexity, are more often containing big empty boring worlds with no real substance, casual, easy experiences with no real challenge, full of fixes, patches after release, full of dlcs, season passes, loot boxes, pay walls, virtual stores selling virtual items for even hundreds of dollars with many franchises and game companies going mobile, moba, multiplayer, battle royal (see Diablo, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Apex, Overwatch, Heartstone, League of Legends, Pubg, Fornite, Dota, Valorant, Valve, Bethesda, EA, Activision-Blizzard) or get inundated with ~yearly releases of basically the same boring thing (see Ubisoft(Assasins Creed, Far Cry, Tom Clancy), EA(Fifa, Madden, Sims, Battlefield)).

The glory days of games like Witcher 1, 2, KOTOR 1,2 , VTM B, Half Life 1,2 , Gothic 1,2 , Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 1,2,New Vegas, TES Morrowind, Hitman codename 47, System Shock 2, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, Diablo 1,2 , Empire Earth, Age of Empires, Max Payne 1,2 , Baldur Gate 1,2 , Thief 1,2, GTA San Andreas, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, FEAR, Company of Heroes , Bioshock, Portal, Pathologic, Penumbra, Amnesia The Dark Descent are over.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Actualy from gog:https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077
View attachment 11189092
Post automatically merged:

The explanation is gaming has declining.
Game releases have less depth and complexity, are more often containing big empty boring worlds with no real substance, casual, easy experiences with no real challenge, full of fixes, patches after release, full of dlcs, season passes, loot boxes, pay walls, virtual stores selling virtual items for even hundreds of dollars with many franchises and game companies going mobile, moba, multiplayer, battle royal (see Diablo, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Apex, Overwatch, Heartstone, League of Legends, Pubg, Fornite, Dota, Valorant, Valve, Bethesda, EA, Activision-Blizzard) or get inundated with ~yearly releases of basically the same boring thing (see Ubisoft(Assasins Creed, Far Cry, Tom Clancy), EA(Fifa, Madden, Sims, Battlefield)).

The glory days of games like Witcher 1, 2, KOTOR 1,2 , VTM B, Half Life 1,2 , Gothic 1,2 , Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 1,2,New Vegas, TES Morrowind, Hitman codename 47, System Shock 2, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, Diablo 1,2 , Empire Earth, Age of Empires, Max Payne 1,2 , Baldur Gate 1,2 , Thief 1,2, GTA San Andreas, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, FEAR, Company of Heroes , Bioshock, Portal, Pathologic, Penumbra, Amnesia The Dark Descent are over.
I partially agree, Hitman Codename 47 is the odd example though, it's the worst and least complex game in the franchise (that Abomination from 2012 doesn't count :mad:), and World of Assassination trilogy exceeds the old games in pretty much everything one can imagine.
That holds true only for AAA scene, games like Disco Elysium, Pillars 1 and 2, Tyranny, Wasteland 2 and 3, Tides of Numenera, Divinity 1 and 2, Pathfinder, Kingdom Come are still being made...
So, if you want something reminiscent to old-shool RPGs, you still have a decent amount of choice. It's just that you won't get it from Bethesda, BioWare or CDPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, its not a surprise that big budget stuff needs to sell more to recoup and make money and for that you need to appeal to broader audiences.
For the gaming decadence and such,I think you can find people in 2000's( san andreas,vampire release dates) also making that statement. For example,i have still my k7 copy of "Saboteur" in my Spectrum computer,and I can say Splinter cell only added better graphs and sound to the genre(not true,just playing "old man yelling to the clouds" here); its more that old times always looked better + many concepts/gameplays dont look new after 40/50 years of gaming.
For software updates,fixes,patches... before there was no technology for hot patching,so QA was more extensive but also compare the amount of code in my beloved "Saboteur" with the 60 Gb!!!!,wtf we used to have 48kbytes of memory,and verification explodes exponentially with complexity (microsoft dos patches were rare,windows 10 you know). DLC/loot box etc,is a separate thing for me;if players are willing to pay,companies are going to provide that(ive never paid for anything,except expansion pack with new content/campaign) and i'm fine with that as long i can play the "core" without paying anything more.
PS: you can check game concepts repeated over an over with abandonware sites if you want
"Airborne Ranger" was kind of "Ghost Recon"
"Saboteur" kind of "Metal Gear"/"Splinter Cell"
"Hostage" kind of "Swat" and the original "Rainbow Six". Just to put 3 games that I loved at that time

Last edited:
I partially agree, Hitman Codename 47 is the odd example though, it's the worst and least complex game in the franchise (that Abomination from 2012 doesn't count :mad:), and World of Assassination trilogy exceeds the old games in pretty much everything one can imagine.
That holds true only for AAA scene, games like Disco Elysium, Pillars 1 and 2, Tyranny, Wasteland 2 and 3, Tides of Numenera, Divinity 1 and 2, Pathfinder, Kingdom Come are still being made...
So, if you want something reminiscent to old-shool RPGs, you still have a decent amount of choice. It's just that you won't get it from Bethesda, BioWare or CDPR.
I liked more Hitman first ones for some reason. But you are correct last three hitman were pretty good.
I spoke in general of all types of games, mostly about single player experiences.
I don't like or play only RPGs.
You are right about isometric cRPGs. But first and third person good cRPG seem to be dying. They all seem to be going action adventure direction.

Since we deviated from the main question and Vampire bloodlines was already discussed,I wonder what makes Diablo1,2 good computer RPGs compared with CP.I doubt that story driven decisions/player impact/character development is deep and most people i doubt they can summarize story without googling it. On launch I suspected that it was originally a game concept created by a consortium of medical practioners for carpal tunnel treatments and manufacturers of keyboards and mouses(it was an update of rogue/nethack actually,but doesnt stick to ascii and turn based)

This whole "turn based" argument seems a bit dodgy to me, LARP is role-playing but definitively isn't turn based. When playing a tabletop rpg most combat is turn based because of the mechanics required to roll dice and calculate saves, damage etc. Most modern systems try to streamline that process as much as possible. Surely live combat where a computer auto generates the hit calculations is better? Personally even though I enjoyed final fantasy 7 the most boring bit was the combat.

I'm not very experienced in
what constitutes an RPG, so I'll just give my opinion after finishing the game.

Personally I think it's a bit more RPG than call of duty but not as RPG as something like skyrim or witcher.

Saying that though, I did kinda feel some immersion in my role as a Merc, being asked to do stuff, and successfully doing said stuff. Being paid for the job. Often getting a sense of achievement if I pull it off in style or manage to kill the target or steal the data without being seen.

To be completely honest, I actually thought cyberpunk 2077 was going to be mainly a first person shooter. In fact I was slightly concerned about the advertised RPG element, as I really liked the idea of a cyber shooter and wanted more action than dialogue.
In the end though I enjoyed the 'extra elements' and actually found I would have been happy with even more RPG once I got into the gameplay, and can now understand why many people say the RPG was lacking.
I think cdpr tried to squeeze a lot of different elements into the game without leaning too far in any single direction (or genre) . Even so, it was always going to be impossible to please everyone.

just for fun
wiki description
rpg is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world, usually involving some form of character development by way of recording statistics

let's take fifa
player controls character or party - check
well-defined world - check
development - check

just for fun
wiki description
rpg is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world, usually involving some form of character development by way of recording statistics

let's take fifa
player controls character or party - check
well-defined world - check
development - check
Defined area maybe 🤔

I'm not sure if it's considered an RPG. I'm not sure what to call this game but definitely not an RPG.

This game can easily be put in RPG category due to dialogue choices, and the progression system with various ways to build your character. It's an action adventure rpg like so many other games.

There's a lot of contention about what is and is not an RPG. For me, what I like a game to FOCUS on are:

1. Expansive dialogue choices for the PC that let the player establish personality, background and motive
2. Detailed companion characters/side characters with a relationship system
3. A good character creator
4. Choice and consequence in the narrative

Cyberpunk....kinda has a decent go at all of them? I (as anyone on the forums may have noticed) have some issues with the romances and I think V ought to be more malleable with more varied dialogue choices to differentiate his personality through playthroughs. It's a really good game with lots of potential, but not the best RPG I've ever played by the above criteria.

Top Bottom