Is this game an rpg?

+
I'm not sure if it's considered an RPG. I'm not sure what to call this game but definitely not an RPG.
There's a lot of contention about what is and is not an RPG. For me, what I like a game to FOCUS on are:

1. Expansive dialogue choices for the PC that let the player establish personality, background and motive
2. Detailed companion characters/side characters with a relationship system
3. A good character creator
4. Choice and consequence in the narrative

Cyberpunk....kinda has a decent go at all of them? I (as anyone on the forums may have noticed) have some issues with the romances and I think V ought to be more malleable with more varied dialogue choices to differentiate his personality through playthroughs. It's a really good game with lots of potential, but not the best RPG I've ever played by the above criteria.

what games are "good" rpgs to you

Something interesting.

Some people, mostly in the academics that study role-playing, in our society and in a game sense, argue that.
The electronic games are not real role-playing games, because of their limitations and how the player is not making his choice, but choosing from a limited list of actions.

The real ones would be the tabletops were they follow a set of rules, and in the narrative the player have all the freedom in the world to play the role of his character.

But if we are going in a very simple term, you can argue that yes, '77 is a RPG because XP and level up, and no, because you don't really make your own character, you have something similar to Mass Effect, where there you have your Shepard and choose his actions and here you have V with a even stronger personality and you choose his path on how to solve his problems.

what games are "good" rpgs to you

Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Inquisition come to mind based on the specific criteria I mentioned. DA:i I thought did an admirable job of balancing having a voiced protagonist but still allowing for race, class, different personalities etc. Bloodlines (lack of companions aside). As I said, this is all relative and I do think Cyberpunk is great, but I wish I had more control over V's personality.

Guest 3847602

DA:i I thought did an admirable job of balancing having a voiced protagonist but still allowing for race, class, different personalities etc.
For female inquisitor - yes, but both male options sound really awkward if you want to play as a dwarf or qunari.

Hello, must ask you because i am comfused. All time was Cyberpunk presented how “OPEN WORLD ROLE-PLAY RPG”. But is it long time when description of game on twitter was in silent changed on “OPEN WORLD ACTION ADVENTURE”. I am comfused. What Cyberpunk is? Action adventure or rpg...?

ROLE-PLAY RPG?
I dont know because on twitter is now presented how “action adventure”. Before sometime there was presented how “role-play rpg” but someone change the description of game on official Cyberpunk twitter account. And i asking why...? It is normal changing game genre after release...?

In xbox store (on xbox), it's a Role Playing game :)
But if you look on Xbox web site, it's an action-aventure. I never paid attention, if it was changed or always like that.

In xbox store (on xbox), it's a Role Playing game :)
But if you look on Xbox web site, it's an action-aventure. I never paid attention, if it was changed or always like that.
Probly yeah. On twitter it was changed after long time when was game released. It is huge fail presented and solding game how “action rpg” and after release chenge it on “action-adventure”.

Probly yeah. On twitter it was changed after long time when was game released. It is huge fail presented and solding game how “action rpg” and after release chenge it on “action-adventure”.
I don't pay too much attention to the categories displayed, ME Andromeda, ARK, Yakuza LAD or Terraria are RPGs on the store... so it can be misleading :(
Whatever the category, i like anyway :)

Last edited:
I dont know because on twitter is now presented how “action adventure”. Before sometime there was presented how “role-play rpg” but someone change the description of game on official Cyberpunk twitter account. And i asking why...? It is normal changing game genre after release...?
From what I could see, people complained that it wasn't a pure RPG in two senses:

1. Character customisation wasn't make or break. The story doesn't change from black to white depending on what you chose your character to be. At the end of the day you are V, and certain things come with being V, like visitations from Keanu Reeves.

2. It's not infinitely open world, in that the game is focused around stories and narrative, so if you walk into it just expecting endless baddies for ten years, that is not what this game was designed for.

So the description got changed after release.

For what it's worth, I do think those who complain loudest have missed that there are a number of different play styles that you can adopt, from hacking to stealth to physical combat with an array of different weapon styles each of which have their own characteristics. The vast majority of quests (and there are a lot of quests) seem to have been designed very carefully to allow you to adopt any of those play styles to get through, or a mixture of them.

Also for what it's worth people have complained that character customisation and skills are superficial compared to purer RPGs. E.g. It's hard to find outfits you like that have useful stats, some skill perks aren't particularly useful while others are overpowered, etc.

Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.

Absolutely it is an RPG. Still a few rough edges after 1.22 but getting better.

its action role playing but it lacks the cool rpg mechanics in games like deus ex or new vegas but its still arpg

Guest 3847602

Replying here to avoid off-topic discussion:

Indeed... But the reasons were totally different. You see i am a fan of the pen and paper game and like other i was feed this was going to be an RPG based on our beloved Pondswith setting.
Yeah, I know that and I said that you guys have my sympathies because the game isn't turning out to be what you dreamed of.

I still don't see where you were deceived, though, because you and other forum members (correctly) concluded, based on interviews, official announcements and marketing that CP2077 won't try to be faithful representation of CP2020 PnP campaign.
They were never showing open world gameplay.
Yup, which is why me and others were saying: "Open world is there to house the story and sidequests, don't expect a sandbox, they don't talk about it, they're not showing it".
Attempted to feed off this whole idea the game was more "immersive in first person" calling a Stylistic decision to remove third person cutscenes.
Whatever their reasons may be (in my subjective opinion, 1st person is more immersive) they didn't deceive anyone about their removal.
THing is.. Yes i am disappointed about the same stuff as for why. Well is pretty clear. I don't think cdpr did a good jobs to represent a digital thing of Pondswith work but that is my personal opinion. I didn't felt like cyberpunk it felt like a themepark in the Cyberpunk theme. Some things were there visual were there but in the juice of it was far from the source material.
It's perfectly OK to feel that way and you can criticize them for that without stooping to "they lied to us about it".

ya1

Forum regular
There are two ways to read into what RPG actually means:

1) The literal meaning: Role Playing Game. A game where you take on a role of a character, while the game attempts at make you feel "in their shoes" thanks to narration, freedom of choice, character customization, etc.

2) The second meaning, more relevant to today's gaming industry, I call it RPG mechanics. It revolves around implementing a character progression system (with levels, character stats, stats on gear, etc.) and a system of combat (as well as non-combat rolls) governed by a set of mathematical rules (with damage, HP, buffs, etc.).

So...

The first meaning is subjective. Some people might be immersed in V, others won't. Personally, I think the game is solid here. But the second meaning - this is a definite fail. I've played RPG games and genre related game for over 2 decades. Table top RPGs, collectible card games, miniature wargames, and hundreds of titles of video games of different subgenres. I've learned rpg mechanics in so many different games, and those in CP77 are some of the worst I have ever seen. Both in design and implementation. It's obvious this was thrown together last minute and untested.

In conclusion about CP77 being an RPG...

When it comes to the "roleplay" part of it, fine, okay, pass. But when it comes to the RPG mechanics, it wants to look like an RPG and does a pretty convincing job trying. But when you look closer, you see the fakeness of it all.

DC9V

Forum veteran
There are two ways to read into what RPG actually means:

1) The literal meaning: Role Playing Game. A game where you take on a role of a character, while the game attempts at make you feel "in their shoes" thanks to narration, freedom of choice, character customization, etc.

2) The second meaning, more relevant to today's gaming industry, I call it RPG mechanics. It revolves around implementing a character progression system (with levels, character stats, stats on gear, etc.) and a system of combat (as well as non-combat rolls) governed by a set of mathematical rules (with damage, HP, buffs, etc.).

So...

The first meaning is subjective. Some people might be immersed in V, others won't. Personally, I think the game is solid here. But the second meaning - this is a definite fail. I've played RPG games and genre related game for over 2 decades. Table top RPGs, collectible card games, miniature wargames, and hundreds of titles of video games of different subgenres. I've learned rpg mechanics in so many different games, and those in CP77 are some of the worst I have ever seen. Both in design and implementation. It's obvious this was thrown together last minute and untested.

In conclusion about CP77 being an RPG...

When it comes to the "roleplay" part of it, fine, okay, pass. But when it comes to the RPG mechanics, it wants to look like an RPG and does a pretty convincing job trying. But when you look closer, you see the fakeness of it all.
I personally wouldn't go so far to call the RPG elements in CP2077 "fake", but I have to say: The dialogue options do not feel like they would impact the storyline in a way like it was the case with The Witcher 2, which felt more like a virtual gamebook. I think the whole open-world-idea was a mistake from the beginning.
Post automatically merged:

I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.
It's definitely not a sandbox title. Minecraft is sandbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom