Is this game an rpg?

+
Mmmm.... It seems to adopt bad parts of RPG with perks and attributes mostly about boosting numbers (e.g. increase damage of pistols, higher chances of critical hits etc.)

Would be great if most perks and attributes are geared towards unlocking new useful abilities. Like in the Deep Dive, it showed how high Body attribute allows us to melee an enemy in mid-combat and turn him into a human shield.

Or maybe higher Intelligence attribute and perks allows V to hack more sophisticated technology. (e.g. V cannot hack enemy cyberware with low Intelligence, but can still hack Vending Machines to distract enemies).

Just think Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Leveling up is not all about the numbers.

How does RAM work in Cyberpunk 2077?
Your maximum RAM will increase based on your intelligence attribute, so if the hacks you want to use seem a bit expensive, there is a 1:1 correlation between maximum RAM and your intelligence. You may also find cybernetics or equipment at the Ripperdoc that increases this number as well.20.12.2020 г.
Quick google...Anyway if that is right, then the problem is not as stated above, but that some cyberwar needs higher stats than it currently have. I mean you relatively quickly get enough credits to install some nice cyberdecks with lots of ram. What you are asking for (more advanced machines being harder to hack) is already in the game, it's just that the nice cyberware that give you a lot of ram is easy to access:)
Btw I think body attribute still effects how long you can hold someone before they escape.

Edit: Tho to be fair - maybe how hard it is to hack something, depends on the area level compared to my own....

I mean you relatively quickly get enough credits to install some nice cyberdecks with lots of ram. What you are asking for (more advanced machines being harder to hack) is already in the game, it's just that the nice cyberware that give you a lot of ram is easy to access
And that was already patched. Before 1.2 (if I'm right), cyberdecks required way less Street Cred for buy/install them :)
Ex: Rippler mk4 > 29 SC before 1.2, 40 SC now.

How does RAM work in Cyberpunk 2077?
Your maximum RAM will increase based on your intelligence attribute, so if the hacks you want to use seem a bit expensive, there is a 1:1 correlation between maximum RAM and your intelligence. You may also find cybernetics or equipment at the Ripperdoc that increases this number as well.20.12.2020 г.
Quick google...Anyway if that is right, then the problem is not as stated above, but that some cyberwar needs higher stats than it currently have. I mean you relatively quickly get enough credits to install some nice cyberdecks with lots of ram. What you are asking for (more advanced machines being harder to hack) is already in the game, it's just that the nice cyberware that give you a lot of ram is easy to access:)
Btw I think body attribute still effects how long you can hold someone before they escape.

Edit: Tho to be fair - maybe how hard it is to hack something, depends on the area level compared to my own....
Yes, I am coming from the perspective of creating the RPG side to be more in-tuned with the lore.

So from perspective of lore, it should be that hacks which are more sophisticated (e.g. hacking cyberware directly etc.) need higher level attributes/perks and V should not be able to do that from the start as it quickly became too overpowered.

Maybe a Netrunner V starting out may only hack basic environmental objects regardless of his RAM and cyberdeck. Then gain more experience to level up until he is able to use incredible powerful hacks such as Suicide.

Area level should also be more in-sync with the lore. By right, Pacifica should be a more dangerous place (e.g. higher level enemies etc.) than, let's say, Heywood.

Mmmm.... It seems to adopt bad parts of RPG with perks and attributes mostly about boosting numbers (e.g. increase damage of pistols, higher chances of critical hits etc.)

Would be great if most perks and attributes are geared towards unlocking new useful abilities. Like in the Deep Dive, it showed how high Body attribute allows us to melee an enemy in mid-combat and turn him into a human shield.

Or maybe higher Intelligence attribute and perks allows V to hack more sophisticated technology. (e.g. V cannot hack enemy cyberware with low Intelligence, but can still hack Vending Machines to distract enemies).

Just think Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Leveling up is not all about the numbers.

hacking actually requires higher intelligence to hack higher level nodes. A base level 3 int only let's you use access point in the first area. There is also a lot of non dmg related perks in hacking. Keep in mind each Stat limits your perk trees. so intelligence decides what perks you can access.

big sleep(puts all cameras on net to sleep)
turret tamer(turns all turrets friendly)
extended network(highlights access points)
cloud cache, breach protocol reduces cost of next quickhack
efficiency,(uploading 3 daemons at once gives ram regen)
head start(uploads first daemon free/automaticly)

point being, mechanic/gameplay changing perks are not uncommon.

also int effects certain story options and interactions. It gives a different possible ending to delamain story for example.

hacking actually requires higher intelligence to hack higher level nodes. A base level 3 int only let's you use access point in the first area. There is also a lot of non dmg related perks in hacking. Keep in mind each Stat limits your perk trees. so intelligence decides what perks you can access.

big sleep(puts all cameras on net to sleep)
turret tamer(turns all turrets friendly)
extended network(highlights access points)
cloud cache, breach protocol reduces cost of next quickhack
efficiency,(uploading 3 daemons at once gives ram regen)
head start(uploads first daemon free/automaticly)

point being, mechanic/gameplay changing perks are not uncommon.

also int effects certain story options and interactions. It gives a different possible ending to delamain story for example.
Not need to talk about legendary QHs who have passive abilities or deamons. It's very useful to have high INT for uploading many deamons in the same breach protocol with "Quick Start" and "Compression" perks (level 20).

Edit : well, yes with low INT and good Cyberdeck, you can hack... but not fighting with. It will take forever to recover enough RAM units (you can launch one QH and after that, you must fight with another method...)

Last edited:
It is according to its new ps store listing :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-202236_PS App.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-202236_PS App.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 69
No. Not even a little. Which is funny, considering they advertised it as one right up until about 6 months before release.

Which tells me that they scrapped entire portions of the game because they weren't going to have time to finish them, for the stale, sterile, repetitive gameplay that the game currently has.

Last edited:
short answer is a resounding "NO!"

long answer is they have surface level RPG mechanics but they only affect combat, which isn't very fun anyways

After many threads and discussions, I did a short-list of things that some people think is a "must" for a RPG :

-The game needs to be open-world with sandbox elements.
-The game cannot be an open-world, RPGs in open-world are shallow and can only be hub based.
-The game perspective can only be 1st person.
-The game perspective must be 3rd person.
-The game perspective must be isometric.
-The game can only be real-time because turn-based is immersion breaking.
-Combat can only be turn-based to decouple player skills from character skills.
-The skill checks should be hardcoded and with random number generation.
-The skill checks cannot rely on luck (people complaining in Baldur's III about failing dialogs).
-Skill checks should not block a player to achieve something because is stealing player agency.
-All characters need to be voiced.
-All characters need to be voiced except de protagonist.
-All dialogs need to be text based because voice limits the amount of dialog.
-The game need to have branches that close other branches, but all should lead to equally satisfying endings.
-The player should be confronted to decisions, but it should know beforehand the consequences because its unfair to close something for an early game decision (relates with above, in CP2077 I saw it related to punching Fingers...).
-Leveling system has to offer flexibility.
-Leveling system only makes sense if it increases skills like in D&D (I would not dare to say that a class system is flexible).
-Need to have a lot of loot.
-The loot needs to be exciting to discover.
-But loot cannot rely in random generation.
-No loot please.

I hope CDPR devs take a look to this short list and implement all the features in the next game it will be a huge success and probably some Nobel prize will be awarded.

Role Playing Game.

Can you do roleplaying in this game: Yes.

Everything that comes next that one could discuss about is what people believe should or should not be present in the game and how explicit that must be. but broken down to its core, its an RPG
I know, I'll probably get some flak for this. but fine.

After many threads and discussions, I did a short-list of things that some people think is a "must" for a RPG :

-The game needs to be open-world with sandbox elements.
-The game cannot be an open-world, RPGs in open-world are shallow and can only be hub based.
-The game perspective can only be 1st person.
-The game perspective must be 3rd person.
-The game perspective must be isometric.
-The game can only be real-time because turn-based is immersion breaking.
-Combat can only be turn-based to decouple player skills from character skills.
-The skill checks should be hardcoded and with random number generation.
-The skill checks cannot rely on luck (people complaining in Baldur's III about failing dialogs).
-Skill checks should not block a player to achieve something because is stealing player agency.
-All characters need to be voiced.
-All characters need to be voiced except de protagonist.
-All dialogs need to be text based because voice limits the amount of dialog.
-The game need to have branches that close other branches, but all should lead to equally satisfying endings.
-The player should be confronted to decisions, but it should know beforehand the consequences because its unfair to close something for an early game decision (relates with above, in CP2077 I saw it related to punching Fingers...).
-Leveling system has to offer flexibility.
-Leveling system only makes sense if it increases skills like in D&D (I would not dare to say that a class system is flexible).
-Need to have a lot of loot.
-The loot needs to be exciting to discover.
-But loot cannot rely in random generation.
-No loot please.

I hope CDPR devs take a look to this short list and implement all the features in the next game it will be a huge success and probably some Nobel prize will be awarded.
I would give you like five redpoints for this if I could. Expect random redpoints on other posts ... but they're also for this one.

EDIT: But seriously, we try way too hard to categorize things. When forced to define RPG in the past, I've gone with this -

Oh no! "What is an RPG" debate! I personally prefer this definition that I first saw on "sinister design" several years ago and have used ever since:

"A game is a ... RPG if it features player-driven development of a persistent character or characters via the making of consequential choices."

At their heart RPGs are about assuming a role, making choices within that role, and having the player's choices have consequences on the environment (whether it be the characters, the story, the setting itself, or ideally all of these) the game is set in ...

Generally if it fits that definition, I'm comfortable calling it an RPG, even though it leads to some weird games being RPGs (like Detroit: Become Human). But weird results are fine ... like I said we try way too hard to categorize.

Last edited:
Role Playing Game.

Can you do roleplaying in this game: Yes.

Everything that comes next that one could discuss about is what people believe should or should not be present in the game and how explicit that must be. but broken down to its core, its an RPG
I know, I'll probably get some flak for this. but fine.

Yes, but it is understandable why people want to further define what exactly makes an RPG RPG. Otherwise, if we just take 'role playing game' that can mean most FPS (maybe all?) too so....:)

Yes, but it is understandable why people want to further define what exactly makes an RPG RPG. Otherwise, if we just take 'role playing game' that can mean most FPS (maybe all?) too so....:)
Haha, yeah. I know. but seeing as how the subject matter can explode into a wildfire of pro and cons as to why Cyberpunk is an RPG/or not for any given player, I though ... why not go back to its basic building blocks ...
I know, I cheated a little there ;)

Top Bottom