Is this going to be Cyberpunk 2020 or Cyberpunk 2077?

+
It's an adaption, so I expect CDPR will add and take away where appropriate. Slavishly translating it to digital form should not be the goal. It's their game now.

Well. We-ell. Weee-elllll.

You've already seen what's been done in Cyberpunk, just in the teaser. They picked up the property for a reason - they're huge fans. if YOU were a huge fan of something, wouldn't you like to do something of yours in THAT world? I would. That's why I'd spend the millions I don't have doing so.

So i think it will be very much Cyberpunk 2020...done by the amazing Gming team of CD Projekt Red. I look forward to their gameplay, rules, setting and timeline changes because I like their other games.

I really hope it will be Cyberpunk 2020 in terms of technology.

I beleive the real reason for the leap forward in timeline is that no one who wasn't a fan of the tabletop game would really buy so much change in just 5 years.

To reiterate, looking at the trailer, tech hasn't advanced AT ALL from 2020. Not a whit. So I'd bet on 2020 tech and setting with a few changes. Apparently they are going to introduce more energy weapons than in typical 2020..probably have more robust wireless, etc.

Well, the 57 year leap in time should account for something.

Maybe allow "old timers" to have old tech... if they want it. But us youngsters... give me the juicy new stuff. I want sweet swag.

Note: Over the last 5 years in RL think about the social networking surge and how it's changed us today. Go back 20 - 30 years. Compare your Atara 2000 to your PS3. Imagine 1980's tech. Now imagine 2037. ... Now imagine 2077.

So... are we playing an old game with the tech from yesteryear... or a new game set in the future of the old game with old gear .... or a new game set in the future of the old game with new gear/tech/world?

Edit: They have my money, no matter the direction they want to go. I was sold on this game long before the teaser came out.

My personal hope is that they largely stick to 2020 tech levels in areas where we clearly aren't close to yet, while updating some of the things where we have moved forward.

A lot of the tech of 2020 still seems pretty "futuristic" even today, and arbitrarily trying to push it even farther I think would push it too far. The appeal of Cyberpunk to me was the imaginatively futuristic while still being relatively understandable as a "near future" type of tech. I think pushing it much farther will move it beyond that.

Oh, I'm not arguing your point, Massa. The timeline would indicate serious change, absolutely. So much so that I'm not sure it would be 2020 anymore, setting and feeling-wise. that's because CP2020 was set tooo early.

A very smart friend of mine, advanced degree in history, once figured the 2020 social/cultural setting couldn't last more than 40 years, tops, as depicted in the books. Something would change and given the rapid pace of technology, it would probably be something surprising, like social networks have been the last ten years.

We think little is going to change in 2077 the game because 2020 HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE. Not here. You-still- haven't gone toe to toe with a booster outside Totentanz or met RipperJack coming out of a bar. No AV-4 has flown above you, you have never used a Dataterm and the word "chombatta" is yet to be yelled at you in-game by any NPC or PC.

So, in that sense, EVERYTHING from 2020 is the new sleek stuff. And there is much of it. So much of it. Main book, all the chrome books, the fan stuff like Wisdom's, the Interface mags, Blackhands Guide, the Corp Books, the setting books like Home of the Brave and Eurosource...

You will never run out of sleek new things to try in this setting. Ever. I guarantee it. Deric guarantees it. Hell, Mike Pondsmith guarantees it. He already has, there is so much out there. And crazed fans stand ready to make you more. Sooooo much more.

Oh, I'm not arguing your point, Massa. The timeline would indicate serious change, absolutely. So much so that I'm not sure it would be 2020 anymore, setting and feeling-wise. that's because CP2020 was set tooo early.

A very smart friend of mine, advanced degree in history, once figured the 2020 social/cultural setting couldn't last more than 40 years, tops, as depicted in the books. Something would change and given the rapid pace of technology, it would probably be something surprising, like social networks have been the last ten years.

We think little is going to change in 2077 the game because 2020 HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE. Not here. You-still- haven't gone toe to toe with a booster outside Totentanz or met RipperJack coming out of a bar. No AV-4 has flown above you, you have never used a Dataterm and the word "chombatta" is yet to be yelled at you in-game by any NPC or PC.

So, in that sense, EVERYTHING from 2020 is the new sleek stuff. And there is much of it. So much of it. Main book, all the chrome books, the fan stuff like Wisdom's, the Interface mags, Blackhands Guide, the Corp Books, the setting books like Home of the Brave and Eurosource...

You will never run out of sleek new things to try in this setting. Ever. I guarantee it. Deric guarantees it. Hell, Mike Pondsmith guarantees it. He already has, there is so much out there. And crazed fans stand ready to make you more. Sooooo much more.

We haven't used all the stuff on my site, and I wrote the bloody thing...

And am still writing for it... working on an update to Miracle Mile even now... or would be if I could stop posting here...

We haven't used all the stuff on my site, and I wrote the bloody thing...

And am still writing for it... working on an update to Miracle Mile even now... or would be if I could stop posting here...

Sounds good guys! I'm very excited about the game and I hope the fans, new and old, get what we hope to from the ahem... "franchise"! (hint, hint)

There is a good chance this will be(come) a part of a franchise, who wouldn't love it?

Top Bottom