Is traffic density high enough?

+

Is traffic density high enough?

• Total voters
Cyberpunk 2077 compared to GTA 5, Watch dogs 1/2, Saints Row or any modern open world game how does Cyberpunk stack up? I hope I'm overreacting, and it isn't really an issue.

I can't confidently vote yes or no to the traffic density being high enough because I'm confident that it's going to be fine since they made it varied enough depending on the time of day or the danger of the area and other factors etc. This really makes me happy because it makes the world feel more alive, rather than having it always be very full (and have no space to go fast) or have it always be empty and quiet and depressing and spooky and fake. Instead it's always changing so I will probably get to experience all kinds of different extremes between quiet empty streets to very high traffic and the gray areas in between that will make for lots of different traffic densities and a very varied and fun driving experience.

Edit: I saw in a recent video (not sure if it was Neon or someone else) that mentioned that supposedly when V is on foot, they will see more cars so that the game looks more full (depending on the weather and the area of the game, just like NPC density) but when V is driving that there will be slightly less vehicle density so that driving is more smooth. This is a very interesting way of doing it for sure, and I think I kind of like it, if it's true.

Last edited:
CDPR did state that the lastest demo with male V driving to the afterlife was bugged, and Night City will be much more crowded at release. No need to be worried.

From what we've seen recently im inclined to say no but its better to wait and see
Just to be clear, this game is set in a cyberpunk megacity, so i feel by default, it should be generally more crowded than GTA and whatnot but not too much
the 2018 demo outside of V's apartment was impressive, despite the duplicate NPCs, i hope it stays that way

Guest 4211861

No, it should look like the 405 in California, fleeing a fire.

I'm not worried about that aspect. I recall reading/seeing in an interview (I believe it was an interview for a Russian outlet, but the answers from the dev are English) that different areas will have different population counts depending on time and circumstance. E.g. crime filled gangland will be devoid of most regular civilians at night, while nightlife districts will be busy and crowded at night, if its raining less people will want to be outside compared to nice weather, etc.

From what we've seen recently im inclined to say no but its better to wait and see
Just to be clear, this game is set in a cyberpunk megacity, so i feel by default, it should be generally more crowded than GTA and whatnot but not too much
the 2018 demo outside of V's apartment was impressive, despite the duplicate NPCs, i hope it stays that way
Yea I hope so too

Honestly, I would not mind the duplicate NPS's from the 2018 demo if the game is engaging and just plan fun. Still as you said, it's best to wait and see until we all jump to conclusions. I have faith in CDPR.

Hell it`s California so there should be bumper to bumper grid lock :p

I am sure the traffic will be fine , i don`t want so much traffic i can`t drive with feeling road rage :mad:

Does it even matter how much traffic there is?

On one side, you could argue that it’s a major metropolis and that the streets should be crowded to get the feel right.

On the other, there are any number of lore contrivances that can be used to put the minimum amount of cars on the street. Isn’t there still a fuel and energy crisis in Cyberpunk, either actual (for lack of fossil fuel) or artificially (low scale corp war making delivery of synthetic fuels scarce).

I’d say that any amount of traffic, is the right amount of traffic, and the reasons for it can be made-up on the spot.

Does it even matter how much traffic there is?

On one side, you could argue that it’s a major metropolis and that the streets should be crowded to get the feel right.

On the other, there are any number of lore contrivances that can be used to put the minimum amount of cars on the street. Isn’t there still a fuel and energy crisis in Cyberpunk, either actual (for lack of fossil fuel) or artificially (low scale corp war making delivery of synthetic fuels scarce).

I’d say that any amount of traffic, is the right amount of traffic, and the reasons for it can be made-up on the spot.
Since at least 2020 vehicles have been running on biofuels as opposed to fossil fuels due to shortage, yeah, and sure, lore could be made to justify lower amounts of vehicles on the roads, but ultimately a higher density of traffic helps make the city feel more alive, regardless of what lore excuse can be attributed to a lower amount of vehicles. I'm not worried about the amount, I trust in CDPR a ton, but if the traffic density was really light and it was just written into the lore it still would feel less alive and lived in than it would with more dense traffic.

...but if the traffic density was really light and it was just written into the lore it still would feel less alive and lived in than it would with more dense traffic.
I hope they will strike a balance between what is immersive but also not annoying and frustrating like actual traffic. The people who would complain about the lack of cars would then complain about too many cars. GTA V levels seem fair. We shall see, maybe this Friday ;)

Would be a nice thing to see a little more traffic from an immersive point of view...
but I hate driving in games so I hope not ^^

Since at least 2020 vehicles have been running on biofuels as opposed to fossil fuels due to shortage, yeah, and sure, lore could be made to justify lower amounts of vehicles on the roads, but ultimately a higher density of traffic helps make the city feel more alive, regardless of what lore excuse can be attributed to a lower amount of vehicles. I'm not worried about the amount, I trust in CDPR a ton, but if the traffic density was really light and it was just written into the lore it still would feel less alive and lived in than it would with more dense traffic.

On the plus side though, V being one of the few people to own a car would be a total-ego trip and bad-ass.

I totally understand your aesthetic point though. Just be prepared for a counter-arguer like me to pop up and debate otherwise at the first hint of a proper "Too few cars confirmed. Game not realistic enough and ruined" thread. :p

Top Bottom