Is Triss Merigold a viable option for Geralt? (Spoilers)

+

Is Triss Merigold a viable option for Geralt? (Spoilers)

• I think Triss IS NOT a viable option for Geralt.

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • I think Triss IS a viable option for Geralt.

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. That was his answer to MANY annoying questions whether he's going to write a continuation of Geralt's story or not. He said that Geralt's story is over :(

That's not "he died". That's more like "I don't want to write somethin after(!) the saga because the story of the saga(!) (read: Geralt)is finished".

That's not "he died". That's more like "I don't want to write somethin after(!) the saga because the story of the saga(!) (read: Geralt)is finished".

Well..that's true. With this guy you just never really know...:p But I personally think that Geralt died and lives in another world.

* too OT again :D

And that where the game come in

Well:
-People who choose Yen will make a story where Geralt love her more, while Triss should remain their friend
-People who choose Triss will make a story where Geralt love her more, while Yen should remain their friend

So for me both is viable option. Geralt player, CHOOSE or end up alone :whistle:

That's not what I wanted to refer to. You were "sad" that the books didn't give us a closer look of Geralt and Triss. I just explained why. Wasn't really about the topic of this thread, just this single statement of you. ^^

Ok now this about Geralt being alive is getting really :eek:fftopic: it should probably stop

PS: I read that Sapkowski confirms Geralt survives to CDPR as can be seen in "the making of the witcher", haven't watched it yet though.

That's not what I wanted to refer to. You were "sad" that the books didn't give us a closer look of Geralt and Triss. I just explained why. Wasn't really about the topic of this thread, just this single statement of you. ^^

Well if that is the case, then i agree with you previous post ;)

Actually, the game itself constantly hints you that Yen is the one...
Of course. Because she and Geralt literally never break up (from the end of book to the beginning of W3)

Maybe it was awkward.

There is no Djinn, no Yennefer, and no Ciri. ( well in my post this time)

But the Rose is a symbol of Love, not Love. so stop thinking like that. It never ends.

If Geralt Think about Triss Merigold, what he could think about her, about the Lady, about the Women, and not something everyone know about her.

something secret maybe ? something funny from her ? something Geralt and Triss have beetwen them from their first meet?

Only Geralt can answer that. Only Him. that's all, if He doesn't want, well what can we do, not much.

Triss ending = politics, king's court, high society life, doublets... Things that Geralt hates, no?

Yen ending = the life that Geralt wanted.

So i think that the viable option for Geralt (not for us, players) is Yen. They have been in love for about 20 years, they have Ciri, the chemistry in the dialogues is evident, they are old and tired...

Real canon Geralt would end up alone because he's indecisive and never knows what he wants. Even if he was "with" Yen, he would run away after a few months, and there would be no more fate/destiny to bring them back together.

I kinda like the idea of this, I just don't feel Geralt (as a character) would want to settle down for so long either way.

Geralt's truest choice is dictated by what Sapkowski deems canon. The games are not canon. Thus Triss is not a viable choice.

While the games are nice, if we're to consider the true option, we need to realise that in the end they're just glorified fan fiction.

Meh, I find the whole idea of "canon" to be silly. We're talking about a fictional universe here, with make believe characters and events that never happened.

As someone who hasn't read Sapkowski's works and doesn't really have a desire to do so, I don't really care what "book Geralt" would do. The games are their own thing, and my "canon" is whatever I say it is.

Triss ending = politics, king's court, high society life, doublets... Things that Geralt hates, no?

Yen ending = the life that Geralt wanted.

So i think that the viable option for Geralt (not for us, players) is Yen. They have been in love for about 20 years, they have Ciri, the chemistry in the dialogues is evident, they are old and tired...

-Triss ending:
+Geralt work as witcher, their house is in a outskirt of the city (that what i think :p). So only Triss involve in polictic, while Geralt go around do what he want to
+Well maybe one day Kovir's king need witcher work and somehow hire him as bodyguard, at this point Triss and Geralt can run away together
+And Triss can drop any of this if Geralt don't like it in the fountain scene. It just we don't have a choice to refuse, Geralt automatically agree with her.

-Yen ending: Somehow i think they will get bore of that life (as describe in ending), then go to find some new adventure await them outside, with or without each other

Meh, I find the whole idea of "canon" to be silly. We're talking about a fictional universe here, with make believe characters and events that never happened.

As someone who hasn't read Sapkowski's works and doesn't really have a desire to do so, I don't really care what "book Geralt" would do. The games are their own thing, and my "canon" is whatever I say it is.

The Witcher games (and by extension Geralt's character) are based off Sapkowski's novels. The topic of the thread is who Geralt would choose, and for that topic it makes no sense to disregard the work that established Geralt's character.

-Triss ending:
+Geralt work as witcher, their house is in a outskirt of the city (that what i think ). So only Triss involve in polictic, while Geralt go around do what he want to
+Well maybe one day Kovir's king need witcher work and somehow hire him as bodyguard, at this point Triss and Geralt can run away together
+And Triss can drop any of this if Geralt don't like it in the fountain scene. It just we don't have a choice to refuse, Geralt automatically agree with her.

-Yen ending: Somehow i think they will get bore of that life (as describe in ending), then go to find some new adventure await them outside, with or without each other

When you explore the dialogue trees with Triss there are 7 different things Geralt can think about their future, and Triss responds positively to all of them. The 3 responses in the fountain scene all indicate that Triss will do whatever is needed to make the relationship work.

Yen's dialogue tree about the future only 2 possible responses from Geralt, and one of them is rather bleak. The first response is love slave/puppy dog Geralt obediently following Yen everywhere. In the 2nd option Geralt is skeptical about whether it will work, and Yen's response is "try it for a month and then you can leave if you want."

Triss's ending is optimistic about the future- both characters stay who they are and look forward to a better life. Yen's ending is pessimistic, with both characters losing who they have been and seeking to withdraw from the world. For people with long life expectancies, Triss's ending seems happier in every way.

Well, you did read the intitial question of this thread?

It's not about what YOU'd but what GERALT'd do. And you cannot answer that question only based on the games imo. Basically the question is just a synonym for "What would Sapkowski say about that?"...

And what I find silly is that people claim to be Witcher fans while they refuse to read the books. I just don't get it, sorry. It's ok to be new to the series. But just downright refusing to ever read them and even being some kind of "proud" about that just seems silly to me. Everybody who loves this franchise and respect its history and creator should read the books, even if just out of curiosity...

Last edited:
Personally I feel that because of the events of the games that there is a good chance he would choose triss. Just don't think things would go back to normal after he gets his memory back. The feelings he had for her in the book plus their relationship in the games, I doubt he could simply forget about it

My opinion. And I am probably not doing a good job looking at it objectively

Prior to the games though, no I don't think so

Last edited:
PS: I read that Sapkowski confirms Geralt survives to CDPR as can be seen in "the making of the witcher", haven't watched it yet though.
He never confirmed that since it simply makes no sense for him doing so. What you mean is that he gave his "ok" to CDPR to pretend that Geralt survived and to create their own story based on that premise. That has nothing to do with the books though. The ending of the books is kind of open for a reason, you know... ;)

idk Triss doesn't seem to develop as a character all throughout the games until Geralt declines her affections and lets her go. honestly, the games only take what was in the books of Triss and giver her more screentime -- we don't really observe her changing at all. In fact, I'd go so far to say that she goes /backwards/ between tw1 and tw3. If that is the case, and I think it is so this point is where whoever disagrees with me will disagree, then taking into account all the events from the books and the games, we're back with book Triss who Geralt declined a relationship with. Some people would probably argue that she accepts that Geralt doesn't love her etc. right up until he either confirms or denies it at the docks scene and therefore this is actually character development. I would say no -- Triss was very much having those sorts of conversations with Geralt during Blood of Elves already and we knew at that time she was pining for him still like no body's business. Thus I conclude that Geralt had his reasons for declining her then and if he really did regain his memory then he would probably still let her go at the docks. I personally feel like there is a better chance of her developing as a human being if she went her own way. i feel kinda proud of her getting on the ship to Kovir rather than sticking around with me because I'm an emotionally inept burly witchman.

this is my interpretation of characters and events and there is obviously a reason why the option to go your way with Triss exists in the first place. while the discussions are interesting, there's not going to be some definitive conclusion -- the devs, authors of the games, obviously think there is enough space for players to make up any reasoning that Triss is a viable option. honestly, i feel like this thread is a repeat of the other thread with a more specific focus on the interpretations of the books and the games. tbh i should probably go post this in the other thread as well. but basically, personally I wouldn't pick Triss simply because the narrative is better for it and in my heart of hearts Geralt is Geralt and that's how I play him. the answer is probably yes, Triss is a viable option becaue Pani Blacha says so.

Last edited:
Well, you did read the intitial question of this thread?

It's not about what YOU'd but what GERALT'd do. And you cannot answer that question only based on the games imo. Basically the question is just a synonym for "What would Sapkowski say about that?"...

And what I find silly is that people claim to be Witcher fans while they refuse to read the books. I just don't get it, sorry.

From OP : Since this is Geralt at the end of his whole journey, by that I mean books AND games, please take in mind you HAVE to consider the events from the games too.

He now have both memory from books and games, so he can choose Triss, he can choose Yen, Sapkowski has nothing to do here. I think this topic is pointless, simple because many people who choose Yen won't consider Triss is viable choice and vice versa....

@Brian6666 is a special case :whistle:
@mecha_fish too :lol:

When you explore the dialogue trees with Triss there are 7 different things Geralt can think about their future, and Triss responds positively to all of them. The 3 responses in the fountain scene all indicate that Triss will do whatever is needed to make the relationship work.

Yen's dialogue tree about the future only 2 possible responses from Geralt, and one of them is rather bleak. The first response is love slave/puppy dog Geralt obediently following Yen everywhere. In the 2nd option Geralt is skeptical about whether it will work, and Yen's response is "try it for a month and then you can leave if you want."

Triss's ending is optimistic about the future- both characters stay who they are and look forward to a better life. Yen's ending is pessimistic, with both characters losing who they have been and seeking to withdraw from the world. For people with long life expectancies, Triss's ending seems happier in every way.
I found out Triss vs Yen topic have been disappear, not lock but disappear, curious ???

You also count 4 from lighthouse right ? Yeah agree with you about this, no need for more opinion here ;)

But i don't agree with you about Yen, i think that is what they want after all (calm life with each other), Boring, you say? But both have sought this more than anything else. Still i can see it only work in few month, not their whole life.

Geralt want to drop political, and he have his doubt when talk with Triss in fountain scene. Well, but he ultimately agree with her (even with the option a witcher's life for me...). And thing work out in the end, Triss can continue her ambition about helping all mage for their better future, while Geralt con continue his work (part-time) with no need to haggle this time, sure many people in Kovir will like him :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom