Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

+

Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Don't really care. It's for the developer to decide.

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, CDPR is just like any other organization out there which is looking on profit. In my opinion, TW2 is actually a consolized experience for me. Earlier stages (you can only have the aspect ration of 16:9) on TW2. Not to mention on TW2 is a over the shoulder view where as in TW1 it has isometric view to have the combat more tactical. The design and menus of the TW2 skills, slow-motion menu wheel are all signs of it being prioritize for Console experience. Like it or not. Consoles is what makes money and PC the lesser child as most gamers play on consoles (as they are cheap) for them. I'm not trying to bash CDPR, in fact i debate and discuss solely based on facts and not so much on opinion. CDPR is a much beloved developers but TW2 is a very much consolised experience. Please note additional graphics/visual settings doesn't mean it's very much a PC game.

To be fair,
Any game should be using XBONE resources at best
Any game should be using PS4 resources at best
Any game should be using Gaming PC resources at best

Agreed, though using all three to their max is very hard to do as seen by other games.
Most times the max on pc is close to that of the consoles purely to maintain parity for sales while a lot more would have been possible.

To be fair,

True. But gameplay experience (UI/Menus/Skills) will have to be factored down to the lowest denominator. It won't make sense that consoles have 10 skills/spells and PC have 100 skills/spells. PC will have to follow the number of skills available for consoles, for example. This is not saying Witcher 3 can have 100 skills. This is merely an example. But this applies to certain games that has alot of skills/spells/abilities that could have multiple MenuBars. This will degrade the experience on console. So just unify ALL platforms to have 10 skills insteaf of 40-50 for example.

To be fair,

I agree but the last point isn't that easy to define. What are the "best resources" on PC? A Titan Black in quad SLI? I don't expect CDPR to cater to such a configuration imo. I think their prior concern should be that Witcher 3 runs well on as most PC systems as possible with a similar graphical fidelity than the consoles can deliver, Secondary goal should then be to define the maximum quality they want to offer and to optimize the engine that as many PC systems as possible could reach the maximum.

Edit: I don't see why menu and UI should be the same on console and PC. It's not a core gameplay element, it's much more about the usability and convenience.

@501105
Well, tbh parity isn't the only issue. There is just no economic reason in catering to a very little fraction of players with super-high-end rigs. If you want to do that, cool, but then it's more about your personal passion and not about delivering a good product. I think CDPR will offer better graphics on PC but I also think that they won't spend endless resources just to offer the best graphics ever possible for the 1000 customers of them with a 780 SLI setting for example.... ;)
They should offer ultra graphics on PC that are better than console graphics but that's about it.

Last edited:
I agree but the last point isn't that easy to define. What are the "best resources" on PC? A Titan Black in quad SLI? I don't expect CDPR to cater to such a configuration imo. I think their prior concern should be that Witcher 3 runs well on as most PC systems as possible with a similar graphical fidelity than the consoles can deliver, Secondary goal should then be to define the maximum quality they want to offer and to optimize the engine that as many PC systems as possible could reach the maximum.
Edit: I don't see why menu and UI should be the same on console and PC. It's not a core gameplay element, it's much more about the usability and convenience.

You can customize graphical elements on PC, if the highest settings don't push the best video card to at least 50-70% of its limits then it's a fail. But with ubersample I'm not really worried about that.

Our approach never changed. We are still trying to deliver the best experience possible across all platforms:)

Eskerrik asko( thank you in basque)Marcin momot
If, that is true(High level grafics) , I am very very happen , I have think will buy the PS4 version. And , when show you the PS4 version , marcin??
furthermore, I had send you PM, along time ago for this information.

Last edited:
You can customize graphical elements on PC, if the highest settings don't push the best video card to at least 50-70% of its limits then it's a fail. But with ubersample I'm not really worried about that.
Hm, I don't agree that this is a need. But I'm also not worried that this will be an issue here. I'm pretty sure any system will have a pretty hard time to render Witcher 3 at 4k with ultra settings and 60 FPS for example.... :p

@LordCrash, I suppose so. TW2 did that with ubersampling but with a game that releases on multiple platforms I suppose that some sacrifices have to be made.
In the end the question is wether CD Projekt have put enough effort into the pc version to make an investment still worthwhile and right now that answer seem to be maybe with a very similar console version.

@501105
Well, tbh parity isn't the only issue. There is just no economic reason in catering to a very little fraction of players with super-high-end rigs. If you want to do that, cool, but then it's more about your personal passion and not about delivering a good product. I think CDPR will offer better graphics on PC but I also think that they won't spend endless resources just to offer the best graphics ever possible for the 1000 customers of them with a 780 SLI setting for example.... ;)
They should offer ultra graphics on PC that are better than console graphics but that's about it.

I think those that spend good money on good PC should get the benefit, as it is common knowledge that PC will have better graphic and performance than consoles, otherwise it is downgraded version.

Not unifying the setting just for the sake of unity and consoles, it don't feel fair for enthusiast PC gamers.

It is of course not just a PC game.

We will be showing our game running on different platforms (just like we did during E3 with Xbox and PC) later this year, if I'm not mistaken, so stay tuned:)

furthermore, I had send you PM, along time ago for this information.Do you remenber??? jajajaja

Thank you , for give me information and answer me, my questions.

True. But gameplay experience (UI/Menus/Skills) will have to be factored down to the lowest denominator. It won't make sense that consoles have 10 skills/spells and PC have 100 skills/spells. PC will have to follow the number of skills available for consoles, for example. This is not saying Witcher 3 can have 100 skills. This is merely an example. But this applies to certain games that has alot of skills/spells/abilities that could have multiple MenuBars. This will degrade the experience on console. So just unify ALL platforms to have 10 skills insteaf of 40-50 for example.

I'm pretty sure that skills WILL have to be unified, is that disputed? Everyone keeps mentioning that PC's are capable of better performance, but there'll also be a lot of people with PC's that are at minimum requirements. They will obviously expect to get the same game as everyone else in terms of skills. I don't think that this is the kind of thing that anyone is expecting to be dependent on what you're playing the game on.

The "better experience" should be the UI and the graphics, not the game itself.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that skills WILL have to be unified, is that disputed? Everyone keeps mentioning that PC's are capable of better performance, but there'll also be a lot of people with PC's that are at minimum requirements. They will obviously expect to get the same game as everyone else in terms of skills. I don't think that this is the kind of thing that anyone is expecting to be dependent on what you're playing the game on.

True that. It's not feasible to have actually different gameplay and that is the main reason for my rejection of Consoles: they're the main reason why many gameplay elements are being streamlined, simply because the means of player input don't allow for some things (e.g. more than half a dozen active skills at any time).

I suppose that it is elitism to some extend. Expecting to be rewarded for having a powerful machine with additional effects/features and such for an amazing experience.
Right now it feels like upgrading for TW3 is kind of a waste without a real reward to it. It is not a bad thing that all version will look/function alike, not at all in fact, everyone will get a great game. No reason to break the bank either though, since the version differences sound minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom