Is using taunts like "Dammit!" on purpose metagaming?

+
Is using taunts like "Dammit!" on purpose metagaming?

I had this thought today. I am using a skellige deck that slowly sets up (so keeps to really low numbers) before unleashing its true potential, so I try to let my opponents build up, set up their units and strength and allow them to score a really high amount of total strength at first. So tonight I played a "herbalist" in full knowledge that the only torrential rain card was in my hand but used "Dammit!" to make my opponent think I made a mistake and push further without passing. Now my question is, was that an ok thing to do? What do you think? Or is it attempting to lead my opponent into different conclusions by using functions that are not strictly game related?

A lot of opponents won't even notice because they muted all taunts. Many others probably won't give it that much thought.

But yeah, in general it's not a bad idea and some people definitely try to use it like that.

Well, technically, bluffing is a viable strategy in Gwent -- unless one wants to play in total honesty with a conscience.

However, some people simply hate the taunts.

In fact:
playgwent.com said:
IF YOU CAN’T OVERPOWER YOUR ENEMY, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO OUTSMART THEM!

GWENT® is as much a battle of force, as it is a battle of wits. We’ll always try to match you up with a player whose cards are of similar strength to yours.

To win, play it smart and lure your opponent into using up their cards first. Alternatively sacrifice one round and take the game by emerging victorious in the next one.

Oh, some people just throw taunts non-stop just to annoy you and interrupt your thinking... It's like twice a second they use a taunt, which is why, when I play competitively, I mute all Gwent sounds completely and just listen some ambient music to concentrate better.

DRK3

Forum veteran
ser2440 Another Kambi user?

Well, i think it's a fair move and i've used similar strategies for a long time. Basically the worst thing an opponent can do is pass before i do my power play (this on R2, i usually lose R1), so i'll always lead him into thinking he has the upper hand and everything in control.

The problem is there are 2 types of players: those that are cautious and that pass after they've got a big lead, and the ones that like to go for 2-0 (the ones that usually end up losing...)

Another mindgame strategy is to wait a bit before you play the card even when you know exactly what you're going to do, so your opponent thinks you're struggling (dont do that on every turn though, or he'll just assume you're being annoying... which you are)

Maerd;n9760821 said:
Oh, some people just throw taunts non-stop just to annoy you and interrupt your thinking... It's like twice a second they use a taunt, which is why, when I play competitively, I mute all Gwent sounds completely and just listen some ambient music to concentrate better.

You can listen to all the ambient music you want but against my Eredin you will get shredded to pieces.

:glee::glee:

I think using taunts strategically is fine. Although ... I will say I always consider that my opponent may be lying about a misplay.

Riven-Twain;n9759561 said:
However, some people simply hate the taunts.

Even with that funny accent, Odrin is auto-mute for me. I don't mind the others and use taunts myself but Odrin is just plain annoying but that's the point of taunting anyway. Kudos to the voice actor.

On the side note Geralt should say just "Dammit" and that would be the best thing to happen in game.

I think it's fine. All part of the game and players can juts turn them off if they don't want to listen. Generally it doesn't bother me, but once I someone was emoting before every one of their moves and every one of mine. It was Dandelion too so everything sounded like BM haha

Top Bottom