Is Voorhis Viable For A New Player Just Starting To Climb The Ladder?

+
Is Voorhis Viable For A New Player Just Starting To Climb The Ladder?

Im a very new player to Gwent, All I have really done besides a handful of quick matches is the single player challenges and the ale festival challenges. I also purchased the starter pack.

With the kegs I have received from the starter pack and using the materials i gained from the single player I realized I had a fair amount of monsters (51) and Nilfgaard (45) cards and amongst the nilfgaard I had a fair amount of reveal cards so i figured I would build around Voorhis.

After constructing a deck I am currently 0-10 in quick match lol I know im a new player with a small card collection but Im not new to card games in general so I figured I should stand to win a couple games atleast lol.

Im wondering if someone can take a look at what I have and tell me if its bother to invest more of my keg choices/ milling/ mats into nilfgaard / voorhis or is it better for a new player to start with something else that is more effective with common cards.

here is what i have:
  • 3x daerlan foot soldiers
  • 3x mangonel
  • 3x fire scorpion
  • 3x nilfgaardian knight
  • 1x nauzicaa standard bearer and 2x clear skies
  • 2x Vicovaro Medic
  • 2x Ambassador
  • 1x Fake Ciri
  • 1x Dorregaray
  • 1x Peter Saar Gwynleve
  • 1x Cahir
  • 1x Menno Coehoorn
  • 1x CIRI: Dash
any suggestions would be very welcome however keep in mind im relatively poor in terms of scraps so crafting anything above whites is gonna take a while for me... although I am thinking about getting the 15 keg pack...

thank you!

During the first 16+ ranks it's definitely possible to be successful with that leader.

As for the cards you mentioned: focus on cards that have synergy with Reveal. Cards like Menno or Ambassador make more sense in a spy deck.

For Reveal Spotters and Imperial Golems would be worth considering. Spotters are powerful in combination with 13 strength Geralt.

I'd add Spotters to your deck together with Geralt. So you reveal Geralt in your hand and can play 17 strength Spotters. I'd also remove the Ambassadors and either the Fire Scorpions or the Mangonels and stay with 15 bronzes.

Also why aren't you using all your silver and gold slots!?
Based on what you get when you start a fresh Gwent account, I'd add Decoy, Scorch and another 6th silver of your choice. Some good silvers that synergize with the reveal archetype are: Cynthia, Albrich, Sweers.
Onto golds, why do you have Menno in your list? Vattier is a good pick for reveal, however if you can't craft it, I'd remove Menno and add Geralt and Triss, or Royal Decree.

Theodrik;n9706361 said:
... I'd add Decoy, Scorch...

I am not sure Scorch is quite good for a Reveal deck. Could backfire like son of bi@tc#. Maybe add Alba Pikemen and Commander's Horn. Or at least Imperial Golems - with Morvran they are easy 4 cards on the Melee Row.

Also a tip: Combat Engineer and Alba Spearmen could be a catastrophic combo for your opponent, especially if you have won the round (the later can go to a easy 14 between R1 and R2). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it without Avallac'h, but if you are short on cards it could work pretty nasty.

DO NOT craft Vattier - way better options there, like Leo Bonhart, Assassination and even Rainfarn - pulling a Spotter with Joacim on a reveled Geralt is 27 points (-5 is 22, but, yes - you get the point).

Not really. I've seen Voorhis at ranks 9/10. Problem with reveal is that it's a round 1 deck. You get decent (so not even great) tempo round one and you're done. You've got nothing left for the other 2. I usually go 2-0 against reveal.

You're also running a reveal deck with cards that only work with a spy deck, like Menno.

Since you're just starting out, you might get some success. But go against a person with a little bit of knowledge and your mangonels get shut down and then your reveal combo doesn't do much.

My advice is, try spies.

You can make it work, I have some pretty decent result with this kind of deck but you have to be more creative than just making a "regular" reveal deck.
As others mentioned, the issue with reveal is the late game so you have to find a way to generate late game value by making some kind of hybrid deck and you're good to go.

You do have the strongest leader value in the entire game, which is definitely a plus.

I'll add that when you are beginning, Casual Mach can be much harder than Ranked match, because you are matched against a wider range of players in Casual than in Ranked. You might find it easier to get those first wins in low-level ranked, and at low levels there's no penalty for losing. Advice on Geralt and Spotters is good too. Try to leave out cards that don't have synergy with the main theme of your deck.

Top Bottom