Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

Hello... After playing few games till reaching lvl 4 I realize that weather is actually more powerful then previous which now gives you total freedom too choose side & row plus clear weather not resetting strength is really bad as I don't know how much clear weather card should I keep ?

Those Mo players hammering frost like ease & tackling them is going pretty hard :/

P.S. Please any mod correct the "Powerful" spelling in thread title.. sorry for trouble.

Last edited:
I feel weather is stronger now too. Even if you use clear weather, harmful weather still get's to tick off once doing damage. Previously when cleared it's effect where nullified.

zhiphius;n8617730 said:
I feel weather is stronger now too. Even if you use clear weather, harmful weather still get's to tick off once doing damage. Previously when cleared it's effect where nullified.

Yehh & even though many units are agile due to their abilities we need to stack them on row to get advantage :(

The no promote for NR & no weather immune for sk/monster certainly doesn't help, and so are the gold weather cards too. I'm not sure weather is stronger, but many faction are weaker to it than before. The fact that it always deals damage even if you clear sky right away, as well as the effect don't acceft both side of the board anymore is another factor.

Last edited:
I don't think that it's more powerful, but rather more useful as far as tempo goes... Most of the time weather is played to get good value from it, and players want to clear it ASAP, which is usually done with fairly low tempo cards. That alone can be pretty harsh for anyone without means to catch up.

Last edited:
A Question About Weather or Not It Is Balanced

Before anything else i would like to say that, my issue is not the Weather as it is of now. I think it is good, hard, but it is in a better spot than previously. My issue is with the amount of Weather a Deck can spawn per match. Similarly i am certain many had issues with a particular archetype Scortching 6-7-8 times per match. Isn't this a mater of balance?

At this moment i am level 5, not even in Ranked and perhaps things changed higher up but, it is an issue at low levels. At least to Decks that have the specific Weather archetype. More or less, besides the personal experience an individual may have about value and how to counter and such, the Tutorial also provides some information on the Weather archetype. I had a deck with First Lights and a couple Nauzicaa Standard Bearers and Decoy to bounce them if needed and yet, it is extremely hard to counter them.

One reason being, well, i want to actually have a Deck with cards i like and have fun with the Deck and it's synergies. Perhaps it is to soon, i don't know for sure. If others feel ok with it perhaps i am overreacting. The frustrating thing is not losing btw, the frustration comes when you try to cover all angles and still have a competitive and fun deck and yet there's something...impenetrable.

(Even the two OP Golden Weathers are kind of ok btw.)

Thanks.

Just RNR and skellige storm (and maybe drought, aint seeing many of these since RNR is so blatantly obviously better, drought should at least remove 4 points to compare to RNR). Those two take 3 to 9 points per turn, which is nuts. Also, a lot of players dont seem to realize that if you opponent played RNR and you dont have an answer, its suicide to keep playing cards on that round.

IMO 2 FL on any deck is kinda mandatory just because of those two cards.

Blizzard, rain and fog are ok imo. They need a lot of units on the row to give real value and with so many agile units, is kinda easy to play around them.

Weather legendary problem

Round 1 opponent usesRagh Nar Roog, i dont have first light, ok i guess i lose this round
Round 2 opponent uses Drought, i still dont have first light, ok i guess i lose the game

Really fun and interactive :facepalm:

arkhalon;n8618550 said:
Round 1 opponent usesRagh Nar Roog, i dont have first light, ok i guess i lose this round
Round 2 opponent uses Drought, i still dont have first light, ok i guess i lose the game

Really fun and interactive :facepalm:

Yep. Just like that.

But assuming you will run RNR too (because OPness) and at least 2 FL, thats very difficult to happen.

Sorry but frankly I don't have any problem about RNR or Drought as those are gold cards but those monster bronze wild hunt units spawning frost in each round plus other weather cards I mean seriously?

Even ST is using so many weather cards now & buffing some unit in hand :/

Last edited:
For the complaints about the weather,

I tend to agree that the new weather system isn't perfect, but it is far better as far as game design goes than the previous iteration. Before, weather was often a binary mechanic. It was so strong that either you had ways to clear it/deal with it and you won, or you didnt and you lost. Pocket weather was popular for awhile but that just had to be nerfed because again, far too strong.

This new system does strip some of the charm away, but getting weathered doesn't feel like an instant loss/win anymore which is good. I think the devs just need to focus on developing stronger faction identities and then as a trickle down effect, weather will start to feel better as well.

Personally, I think the far more pressing issue with weather right now is that there is no way, aside from the play tracker, to tell what any weather on the board currently does. It should have some sort of mouse over effect that tells people what the applied weather is doing.

PinkFloyd76;n8618530 said:
Before anything else i would like to say that, my issue is not the Weather as it is of now. I think it is good, hard, but it is in a better spot than previously. My issue is with the amount of Weather a Deck can spawn per match. Similarly i am certain many had issues with a particular archetype Scortching 6-7-8 times per match. Isn't this a mater of balance?

This... That's what I am thinking too. Using weather for own synergy is ok but damaging opp. needs some limits otherwise soon we going to see more & more weather & control decks.

More or less it's ok. But the removal of weather immune units just straight pisses me. Also, the previous go-to monster weather deck loses out against ST terribly. I mean, spell focused ST deck is pure cancer. Now they have units that promote from using weather, units removing weather from row, units that grow stronger from using spells, units that pick spells from deck, cards that revive spells... That's just pure BS.

cheeto101;n8618870 said:
I tend to agree that the new weather system isn't perfect, but it is far better as far as game design goes than the previous iteration. Before, weather was often a binary mechanic. It was so strong that either you had ways to clear it/deal with it and you won, or you didnt and you lost. Pocket weather was popular for awhile but that just had to be nerfed because again, far too strong.

I agree with this. But it doesnt changed too much; everyone uses RNR, and its still binary; or you have an answer and you are ok or pretty much you lost the round.

Ragh Nar Roog, Drought and Skellige Storm are too strong. The rest of the weather is ok, but there's too much of it. Some Monster decks spawn weather almost every turn.

The problem is that one weather effect can cost you the round if you don't have a counter and it turns the game into gambling. If the weather effects stay like this, they will be a problem for as long as the game is played.

Best suggestion I can come up with: Weather only lasts X turns and all affected units are affected until the end of the round. That solves several problems:

+ Players can't carelessly throw weather on an empty board, but have to time it a bit.
+ Weather doesn't fuck up the entire round if you can't counter it.
+ Weather duration can be changed per card for better balancing.

sh3llc0de;n8619950 said:
Ragh Nar Roog, Drought and Skellige Storm are too strong. The rest of the weather is ok, but there's too much of it. Some Monster decks spawn weather almost every turn.

The problem is that one weather effect can cost you the round if you don't have a counter and it turns the game into gambling. If the weather effects stay like this, they will be a problem for as long as the game is played.

Best suggestion I can come up with: Weather only lasts X turns and all affected units are affected until the end of the round. That solves several problems:

+ Players can't carelessly throw weather on an empty board, but have to time it a bit.
+ Weather doesn't fuck up the entire round if you can't counter it.
+ Weather duration can be changed per card for better balancing.

I agree with what you are saying but disagree with your solution.

The best solution is simply make weather affect both sides of the boards again.... i dont even know why they changed that.

Right now theres no drawback of using any wather effect; your units are safe anyways. Thats why everybody will use RNR/storm.

If it affect the whole board again, than you put the tactical sense again on the weather. You suddenly cant use RNR with whatever you are playing with and you will be able to use blizzard/storm only on the rows you wont utilize.

Ya Ragh Nar Roog and Drought, I've found to basically be round winning cards with Skellige Storm to be less powerful but quite dangerous.

Laveley;n8619160 said:
I agree with this. But it doesnt changed too much; everyone uses RNR, and its still binary; or you have an answer and you are ok or pretty much you lost the round.

Oh I agree, RNR is just way too strong, but I think thats a card issue not necessarily a mechanic issue

Laveley;n8620140 said:
I agree with what you are saying but disagree with your solution.

The best solution is simply make weather affect both sides of the boards again.... i dont even know why they changed that.

Right now theres no drawback of using any wather effect; your units are safe anyways. Thats why everybody will use RNR/storm.

If it affect the whole board again, than you put the tactical sense again on the weather. You suddenly cant use RNR with whatever you are playing with and you will be able to use blizzard/storm only on the rows you wont utilize.

True. I don't even know why they changed it, but I assumed they don't want to go back to that.

Top Bottom