Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
Iuliandrei;n8624630 said:
If you taken each weather card individually it doesn't seem OP, my problem is with the amount of weather sources one can stack in their deck. Also nobody asked for Drought, why is this even in the game? I know they tested it on the PTR with a different effect but if that didn't work out why keep it?

Personally i like Skellige Storm, i think it's the best weather effect out there and has some interesting counterplay, there should be more effects like this that plays with position cause not long ago this was the new best thing and everything was changed to have a positional effect.
Now you have this opportunity and what they do? "Damage the lowest unit on the row by 3" freaking genius

I said it earlier in the thread, this is the exact problem. The weather effects on their own are fine, its the fact that its INCREDIBLY easily to keep all 3 opponent rows covered in weather for all 3 rounds thats once again breaking it. The same issue Weather had in closed when Silvers spawned 2 rows then. We've now just done a loop-di-loop and ended up back nearly exactly where we were.

I lost today even with my armor deck! I had 3 clear sky, 1 unit to clear the row just in case. I used armor build and Quen. even then I got my ass kicked. well,he played a expensive monster with all the weather he needed. But still that's just way to much dmg.

I agree with the idea from the others. Both side weather or fix weather row. No more spam frost where you want. Also gold weather are way to strong. 9 dmg per turn is insane.

or give us better toys again weather. Maybe make weather just damage armor for 1 per turn. Or weather immune for a unit till end of the round or some promotion cards.

The whole mechanic seems silly now, spawning it on any row and it not affecting both players like it used to just makes for boring braindead games at times. Also the argument of run multiples of Y in every deck for X is not valid. If a single card limits deck space because it's that good and needs to be countered then it clearly needs balancing. I understand that Ragh Naa Roogh is a gold card and a simple Clear skies can nulilfy it but if the game comes down to you drew X and I didn't draw Y gg then Gwent has taken a big dip. The versatility of Clear skies doesn't necassarily mean it's a staple in every deck especially when you have only 25 slots of which 10 are filled by golds and silvers. I mean they removed faction abilities for so called deck diversity so it just doesn't make sense.

P.S. Make Iorverth Geralt Great again.

It all came full circle. When I first played on November 16 I choose monsters and never played anything else since (not even during PFI worst meta ever). I got to rank 13 just by spaming weather, then mardro came and I lost 20 000+ places on leaderboard, and a brief moment in February when weather was most OP (nerfed clear skies) when I switched to consume and got to top 700 players.
Open beta came and now I am spaming weather again lol, people don't feel the urgency of weather anymore and mostly ignore it or try moving units, but jotunn, aard and drowners do some serious stacking damage.

Lore wise this implementation of weather is a complete disaster, gameplay wise I like it, it provides so much more variety to decks but I also feel they might remove the weather from game or to make you to only have maximum 3 weather cards (of any kind) in deck

merim_10;n8626750 said:
It all came full circle. When I first played on November 16 I choose monsters and never played anything else since (not even during PFI worst meta ever). I got to rank 13 just by spaming weather, then mardro came and I lost 20 000+ places on leaderboard, and a brief moment in February when weather was most OP (nerfed clear skies) when I switched to consume and got to top 700 players.

So the maximum you achieved with weather was rank 13?

Imo weather wasnt really a problem on closed beta, specially on the last patches, and your experience just confirms that.

Now its way more powerful (not saying its op though i think the new mechanic obviously needs adjustment). For one to succeed on the CB with weather you should have CA, otherwise the opponent would just last turn clear weather. Now its the exact opposite, you play weather and if your opponent has FL he has to use it right away to minimize the damage, and if he dont have FL, than he is basically screwed.

But ultimately what is screwing this game is the complete lack of consistency and objectiveness on balancing the game. I already tired of saying this here; the devs needs to start balancing tha game around some staple cards that cant be changed.... they need to draw a line!

Every patch we have the game changes a lot if not almost completely. We will never have a balanced game this way, we jump from one problem to another... seriously, if you pick up the game on the first weeks of closed beta and compare it with now it is literally a complete different game on all aspects... and the worst is that i feel i enjoyed the game better on those first weeks of CB even with the problems we had back than.

Laveley;n8627020 said:
So the maximum you achieved with weather was rank 13?

Imo weather wasnt really a problem on closed beta, specially on the last patches, and your experience just confirms that.

Now its way more powerful (not saying its op though i think the new mechanic obviously needs adjustment). For one to succeed on the CB with weather you should have CA, otherwise the opponent would just last turn clear weather. Now its the exact opposite, you play weather and if your opponent has FL he has to use it right away to minimize the damage, and if he dont have FL, than he is basically screwed.

But ultimately what is screwing this game is the complete lack of consistency and objectiveness on balancing the game. I already tired of saying this here; the devs needs to start balancing tha game around some staple cards that cant be changed.... they need to draw a line!

Every patch we have the game changes a lot if not almost completely. We will never have a balanced game this way, we jump from one problem to another... seriously, if you pick up the game on the first weeks of closed beta and compare it with now it is literally a complete different game on all aspects... and the worst is that i feel i enjoyed the game better on those first weeks of CB even with the problems we had back than.

I think people need to stop immediately screaming for nerfs every time anything ever happens (wishful thinking, I know). It's hard to balance the game if the community is howling about how unfair everything is 15 seconds after they make a change, without even giving things a chance to settle down.

I mean, seriously, people complain about discarding and revealing and weather and resurrection and promotion and resilience and locking and replaying and leaders and boosting and on and on and on...

Last edited:
Those saying weather isnt, dont know what they are talking about. It's so powerful that I cant even understand the purpose of testing the obvious. I made all challenges pretty fine with starter decks, but the dagon spamming weather strategy.

Now I am not yet calculated all pros n cons about this but my simple solution is to add body to weather cards too like leaders... WHY ?

SO that removing them by board, locking it or clearing weather is going to remove the weather so that at least every one going to have more option to counter weather. As well it's always good to see those weather premiums on board :)
Bronze Weather 2 strength card [ any row / side ] may be more effects as par placing side?
Silver Weather 4 Strength Card
Gold weather 6 Strength Card

And off course these cards are going to be weather immune & other advantages are...

You are giving opp. little strength [ if placed on opp. side ]
You can decoy / destroy / banish / lock or use first light to remove weather [ clear weather is only going to remove weather & not a cards from board ]

I think it's good to make these cards doomed but then ST needs something to be changed.
Again I have not calculated all possibilities whit this so healthy constrictive feedback's are welcome :)

Last edited:
Plus I want to see more cards to tackle weather with their abilities like....

- clear weather on row after 2 turn
- auto draw from deck if there is weather on all row [ player side only ] & clear all weather
- while on row units on row become immune to weather
- while on row reverse the weather effect [ going to add strength rather then remove with same effect ]
- while on row damaged opp. side units on same row too or damage only opp. side units.

I actually believe weather is moving in a good direction, with this change to gradually and permanently damaging units instead of dropping them to 1 power until removed.

But what we have now is two gold weather cards that are an auto include in basically any deck that wants to be competitive, and an obligation to run multiple first lights to be able to deal with the gold weather. It makes very little sense, balance wise, IMO.

I really think that the change the weather system needs, is to become a mix of both recent iterations. With these changes, I think it'd become balanced and fun and viable for every faction:

- All weather cards (regardless of color type) should affect both sides of the battlefield, while retaining the any row+different effects for weather type.

- Weather immune units should return, but with specific weather immunity, making it so each faction had good synergy with one or two types of weather (IE monsters wild hunt with frost and foglets with fog, skellige units with torrential rain, scoia'tael ambushes with fog, etc). Only gold units would be immune to gold weather, making it so the cards would only be good in a deck and strategy built to make them good (playing around the amount of units you put on the board, and/or staking them all on a row, becoming vulnerable to other things in the process, but making good effective use of an extremely powerful spell that can wype the board on the other side.)

- add more synergy for every faction with their intended weather types (like we see with nithral and frost).

- amount of agile units should be returned to what it was in closed beta.

- first light should remain as is, as it can clear the effect of multiple weather cards if you're willing to wait and optimize it's use, and is never a dead card in hand.

This way, weather wouldn't just be spammed, you'd need to build your deck to work around it (with the limitations that implies), making it an archetype, but it would be possible for every faction to do so. IMO that'd be a pretty perfect middle term between fun and balanced. Right now it just feels like gold weather is simply too strong and bronze weather is too easy to work around, and it seems nonsensical for weather spawning units to not be invulnerable to it.

Sorry to the wall of text xD anyone have the patience to read through it? Thoughts?

It can be used pretty much indiscriminately now, as it no longer risks affecting your own side of the board. So if I have weather, I'm going to use it. That was not always the case in the closed beta, depending on the deck design and card draw.
Also seemed a little odd, watching a frost giant and wild hunt die from the cold. ;)

I just watched Lifecoach for 2 hours as he leveled from 5 to 7. He's running both gold weather cards. Not one single person he faced in two hours ran First Light. Absolutely ridiculous. Really is so good that everyone should be running at least 1. One bronze card limits an opponents gold slot to a maximum of 9 value.

Every faction has access to 3 First Lights, 3 bronze cards that clear weather on a row on your side and a silver mage with Clear Skies. Weather isn't the problem.

Is that even legal ? ? ? ? ?

How the am I supposed to play vs this ? ? ? I'm starting to hate this game. every deck has tons of weather you can't do a shit cause u have only 1-3 weather removal but they have like 5-6 weather spawn cards.

Attachments

• photo137600.jpg
    photo137600.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
In the closed beta i ran a weather deck and couldnt go past rank 13. Weather as of now is good but i agree about cards like RNR. They are still struggling to balance this card. they want it to have a huge effect to synergize with the witcher game without making it OP but it seems they are still failing. Maybe if the ability trigger at the end of your opponent turn, he can clear skies it without taking any damage. You would have spent a gold card that did nothing which will make it riskier to add in deck.

TH3WITCH3R;n8618900 said:
This... That's what I am thinking too. Using weather for own synergy is ok but damaging opp. needs some limits otherwise soon we going to see more & more weather & control decks.

Yes, i was thinking the same in terms of amount of weather though. The counter to Weather is First Light and as i mentioned some Factions now have a unit that also does that. It feels redundant to repeat myself at this point but since the Posts were merged.. Even with 2 or 3 FL's and 2-3 of these units Weather is overwhelming. Again, i am talking mostly for the amount of Weather's a deck can cast per match, and per round now that i think of it.

I definitely say that the only thing bugging me in this OBT is, unfortunately, Weather again. Otherwise, stellar production and OBT. GL with the balancing.

I would prefer that weather stay symmetrical, and cards like Whildhunt units retain resistance. It feels bad to make everyone run 3 FL because every faction is able to abuse weather which is still more powerful than regular control cards.

Hello all,
I spawned frost in a round, then a second one with a wild hunt thing, and then the other wild hunt thing i spawned didn't span its frost. And then the third wild thing didn't spawn it either. Is there some unwritten rule about weather capping it ?
Is there a comprehensive rulebook up to date of Gwent ?

1. Print some obviously overpowered legendary cards (best part - they are neutral, so an auto-include in literally any deck).
2. Wait for people to craft them (800 scraps each) because you either play them or get the fuck out.
3. Nerf these cards to the ground with no refund.
4. Repeat from step 1!
PROFIT!!

I have seen bli$$ard doing that cyclic balance in all of their games, hope that CDPR aint going to follow in their footsteps

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea that Wild Hunt Hounds play a frost card from your deck. A nice way to thin your deck and it comes with a small risk.

But I agree that RNR needs some adjustment and weather in general isn't entirely fleshed out at the moment - probably too many changes in this area (hard to tell - I made a break from Gwent for two months). To me it seems pretty weird that one type of weather isn't limited to a certain type of row anymore. Then again since most cards can be placed anywhere you want (which I don't like), weather wouldn't be that effective if it's just limited to one row (unless you have Caranthir).

Anyhow, I find weather manageable, but I guess that's mostly because I'm playing with Skellige.

Top Bottom