Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
I was really bothered by RnR and Drought at first, but it didn't take me long to get over it, and find ways to play around them. It sort depends on when they're played and with what kind of deck. Cause if it's someone who's been pummeling you through the first round with weather cards, it can suck to yet again be hit with it, and not being able to rid yourself of it anymore. I do have the fortune of playing a ST-deck focusing on special cards to a degree anyway, so if I'm playing the game right I shouldn't be without a FL-card at any point, unless I know I can waste them without fear of weather cards.

A bigger problem than RNR and Drought being very strong, is that almost all kind of tactical decisions are removed from the equation. With the old weather you usually wanted to hold onto the weather card for as long as possible. With the new weather you actually want to play the weather card as fast as possible (but not too fast).

I don't really like that all the weather effects are basically just targeted DoT spells, the rows don't feel like they have an identity anymore.

4RM3D;n8645700 said:
A bigger problem than RNR and Drought being very strong, is that almost all kind of tactical decisions are removed from the equation. With the old weather you usually wanted to hold onto the weather card for as long as possible. With the new weather you actually want to play the weather card as fast as possible (but not too fast).

Exactly. Its a dumbed down mechanic. At least with the old weather you had to build CA to use it effectively on last turn, it required some sort of minimum skill to take out the maximum potential of a weather card.

Now you just wait until they play units on 2 different rows, play RNR and pray he doesnt have FL.

dumb.

Run First Light cards in your deck. If someone wants to play a gold Drought or RNR for a maximum of 9 value then let them, clear it and win the round.

I do like they have change the weather so that each one has a unique effect rather than just lower all non-gold units to 1 strength, also the fact you can use it on any row is also good.

The problem is the fact they change it to apply only to the row of your opponent and change FL to only apply to one side, this cause people using weather without much thought or planning as it hasn't got any drawbacks.

4RM3D;n8645700 said:

Previous interation wasn't perfect either. ST won on default against weather deck as long as the match went through to 3rd round because of their passive. I wouldn't call that 'tactical decision' either. Not to mention the first light spam that ST was best at. Oh and what about weather immune Golden Boy Hanselt?

Weather was in a terrible spot because of 2 factions that heavily countered it but at least it was fun. Now it's meh.

I miss weather immune units and the interaction they had with weather. And who the hell thought adding so many agile units was a great idea?

4RM3D;n8645700 said:

Yehh I think it's good if weather will trigger it's effect if there is a X amount of strength on board or row & it's going to damage every card till 1 strength only & not going to remove cards from board as well clear sky going to reset base strength of all cards [ no boost strength ] so that you have chance to kill those cards once they get down to particular strength or even opp. can reset cards strength with clear sky.

Again I have not calculated all risks.

I'd say it's an improvement over the previous weather system. Clear skies can do so much against it to negate the value of a Gold.
One possible solution is to prevent players from running RNR and Drought in the same deck perhaps? Or only make it affect two rows?

Frontovika;n8646240 said:
I'd say it's an improvement over the previous weather system. Clear skies can do so much against it to negate the value of a Gold.
One possible solution is to prevent players from running RNR and Drought in the same deck perhaps? Or only make it affect two rows?

As I said early at least I don't have problem with RNR & Drought as those are gold & as some of you said clearing them asap only gives you 9 strength advantage & that also if there is a 3 or more strength cards are available on all 3 rows.

I am more concern about bronze weather as it's two easy to use & spawn.

I'm seriously done with this game, after few days. Every match is the same, people cast weather and then they, guess what, cast weather and you have to use clear skies and guess what, then they also cast weather- this is so boring

TH3WITCH3R;n8618720 said:
but those monster bronze wild hunt units spawning frost in each round

Don't know if anyone commented on this yet, because still not to page 7, but if they have, ignore.

I have a monsters deck that relies on frost effects due to a silver and gold card in there. It's basically a frost-centric deck. The Wild Hunt Hound requires that you have frost cards in your deck available to play. They're summoning a card, not spawning one, so if you don't have any left unplayed in your deck, you basically just played a 5 point card with no effect. It won't summon if your Biting Frost cards are in your hand either.

kaalev;n8623780 said:
Also, you're forgetting that weather decks usually have few and usually low strength units because they heavily rely on weather damage to close the gap. So slap a few weather cards in your deck and see how they suffer.

All of this, and then some. When playing my frost-centric deck, I have to be really careful, because the units that boost or support frost are quite low point value and easily neutralised. The gold card that increases damage from 4 to 8 if a card is on a row with weather is wasted if the point value of the card you're targeting under frost is below 7 points or there is no frost to boost the damage and your opponent has armour all over the place or cards with super-high point values. If someone lays weather on me and I don't have Clear Skies or the... what is that card in Monsters that clears the weather on the row [I am bad with names]... I can be in serious trouble due to the low point value.

I always had a few apply weather cards in my non-weather decks in CB, and I have them in OB too -- unless you're head to head with a Monsters Weather deck, responding to weather with weather seems to either confuse the opponent; they haven't thought about the fact someone might use weather *against them*; or you need to scramble to balance damaging them while boosting you. Sometimes, applying weather in counter to weather is a better strategy than using Clear Skies. The only weather cards that are difficult for me are Ragh Nar Roog and Drought currently, but that's partially due to having new, incomplete decks vs. a nearly complete deck in CB. I do think those could do with a little tweaking though. In their current form, they are really difficult to deal with.

daemhan;n8647970 said:
Don't know if anyone commented on this yet, because still not to page 7, but if they have, ignore.

I have a monsters deck that relies on frost effects due to a silver and gold card in there. It's basically a frost-centric deck. The Wild Hunt Hound requires that you have frost cards in your deck available to play. They're summoning a card, not spawning one, so if you don't have any left unplayed in your deck, you basically just played a 5 point card with no effect. It won't summon if your Biting Frost cards are in your hand either.

u have 3 frost in deck and maybe RnR and drought and the golden card(8str switch 5 enemy lane) that spawns more frost.. isnt this enough? noones plays with 3 clear sky lulz. so if u have not enough weather to win, then u make something wrong.

and if ur frost cards in ur hand(all 3 kappa?), then was that a rly bad luck mulligan.

so play a counter frost(weather) deck with minions that clear weather and 3 clear sky would maybe have a chance.. but lose vs all other decks.

in closed beta i was never sad about weather. i had a good chance to win or lose vs weather (with or without clear sky).. but in open beta it gives me cancer, when i see monster frost deck. trying to outplay and switchign row? then comes cards that switch ur units to frost row.

in CB it was a 1 for 1 trade. but in now, weather always makes a good/better trade, bc the effect comes instant befor u can clear sky. and if u have no clear sky u can surrender.

There aren't a lot of cards that come so close to all or nothing as weather sometimes can. if you can clear it, you do. and easily. If you can't, you often have to pass. And then, if they do it again in the next round, repeat.
I agree that the rows seem to have lost their identity, and not really just because of weather. Now we've got siege engines outside of the siege row, melee outside of the melee row, etc. The rows might as well be called row 1, row 2, and row 3, rather than their old flavor titles.

Another suggestion is.. you can only spawn 1 weather at a time. I mean if there is a frost on melee row then it's not possible to cast any other weather on any row till its get cleared.

This way player will think more before using weather & as now we have agile units we can use another is there is a weather on particular row.

As it is weather can be a real hinderance. So far through the use of weather clearing cards,buffing and reusing agiles, I have been able to work around it. It is not nice, but well, managable.

What makes weather so unbearable though is how many different ways of calling up bad weather there are, especially in monster decks. Too many instance in the oppnents' hands make weather overpowering.

I think what needs to be changed is 1) the number of cards that can conjure up bad weather 2) giving more balance opportunity to different factions in this regard.

yes it is OP,actually it's broken af now. I can already tell that there will be 1 and only 1 meta - weathers, since they do too much than they should and if you get RNR or drought thrown on you and you got no first light - then you can just pass already. Weathers should be removed, why does CDPR really wants to push trough such a broken mechanic. In ranked without gold weather you can even forget about playing there, because it's not that IF your opponent has gold weathers, it's WHEN will he put them.

EDIT: If anyone cares, I deleted the game for now, until something is done with weather cards, because it's too frustrating to play right now

Last edited:
Top Bottom