Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
Weather is fine, since gold weathers are going away. Weather is kinda importent since they make deeper strategies avalible. without weather im not even sure i would play Gwent anymore.

VONFIDDE;n8864600 said:
Weather is fine, since gold weathers are going away. Weather is kinda importent since they make deeper strategies avalible. without weather im not even sure i would play Gwent anymore.

I personally don't think I'll play Gwent for much longer if weather stays as it is now. *Shrugs*

And I'm saying that as someone who played Weather Monster deck in CBT. Even when heavily countered by NR and ST I had a lot more fun in CBT.

Also, what deeper strategies are you talking about? You just spam weather now.

kaalev;n8864700 said:
I personally don't think I'll play Gwent for much longer if weather stays as it is now. *Shrugs*

This. This is important - if weather makes people feel miserable, the devs should react.

kaalev;n8864700 said:
Also, what deeper strategies are you talking about? You just spam weather now.

Not this. I play a weather deck. I beat lots of people who play poorly. I lose to a lot of people who play better or have better decks and know what they're doing. I have some great games against people with good decks who are around my skill level.

Weather makes lots of people not want to play Gwent? Fix Gwent. You think weather doesn't lead to complex gameplay? Fix you.

I made a skelige deck with axemen, white frost, blueboy. Manage in a crazy game to beat NR that had 3witchers,2knights and igni .
thing is that i dont have any card that clear weather, so RN fucks me

I refuse to give "Good game" anymore to Weather players,it''s absurd to play 1 round with 5 weather cards and at end to win with 1-2 point cards its cheating.

I don't think weather is OP. Some decks revolve around it, so you know that some factions will be carrying loads of weather. Gotta work around that, it's the meta of some certain builds.

Thomasartois;n8865430 said:
I don't think weather is OP. Some decks revolve around it, so you know that some factions will be carrying loads of weather. Gotta work around that, it's the meta of some certain builds.

How do you propose we work around that when bronze weather is clearly much better than bronze weather clear as it deals damage at the start of turn? Not to mention units spawning/summoning weather further deepen the disparity in power.

kaalev;n8865740 said:
How do you propose we work around that when bronze weather is clearly much better than bronze weather clear as it deals damage at the start of turn? Not to mention units spawning/summoning weather further deepen the disparity in power.

I wouldn't say bronze weather is better than bronze weather clear. A weather card gives no strength to your side, yet most bronze clear cards clear weather from a row, plus add strength. The problem is not how weather is working, it's that some people play 9 of the damn things. Unfortunately I have no idea how they could fix it where weather works the same, but a player is limited in how many weather effects can be played per match.

supafreaky;n8866010 said:
A weather card gives no strength to your side

Unless you are using hounds or foglets.

I'm getting tired of repeating it, but, oh well: weather has to be symmetrical again. This is the only way of preventing pretty much any faction of spamming weather if they want to.

Laveley;n8866090 said:
Unless you are using hounds or foglets.

I'm getting tired of repeating it, but, oh well: weather has to be symmetrical again. This is the only way of preventing pretty much any faction of spamming weather if they want to.

Not necessarily. I think making units weather resistant again could work. But not resistant to any weather, only a specific type. If every faction had a few of those, (except NG, they already have everything in their favor) I think it might make weather a lot more managable.

supafreaky;n8866240 said:
Not necessarily. I think making units weather resistant again could work. But not resistant to any weather, only a specific type. If every faction had a few of those, (except NG, they already have everything in their favor) I think it might make weather a lot more managable.

The ideal imo was to make both weather resistant and symmetrical weather.

Laveley;n8866440 said:
The ideal imo was to make both weather resistant and symmetrical weather.

That would probably work, it did in CB after all. But if weather only affected opponent rows like it does now, but every faction had weather resistant units against a particular type of weather? i personally think it would make playing a weather deck much more strategic, and eliminate the "I'm gonna spam as many weather cards as I possible can for the win" players. If done right, I think this could be pretty neat. Except gold weather cards. as I've expressed in many posts, Those are bullshit cards.

golden weather is too powerful, other than that it's kinda fine, although there should be a few weather resistant units in every faction.

At least for me weather immune units are not a solution as giving all weather immunity to any card is wrong as well justifying some units & it's immunity to proper weather is hard too like making pirates immune to fog is not makes any sense & same goes with many other units as well it's not going to work as weather is now free from particular row so it's possible for anyone to damage one weather immune unit with different weather & as I said above giving immunity from all weather to units is not a great idea.

Proper solution imo is I think...

- Make Bronze weather works only for 2/3 turns as for bronze card removing 6/7 strength is enough I think. Gold weather is only removable by clear sky OR
- Remove strength from units in weather after 2 turns. Every turn damage is too high for bronze weather at least OR
- Limit the weather use par round OR
- Weather is only going to damage cards till 1 strength & Clear Sky will reset all cards to there base strength [ going to remove buff from all cards ] As we can remove 1/3 strength cards pretty easily even before opp. going to use clear sky.

Last edited:
Weather decks are going to make me stop playing this game. Last 10 or so matches, all weather decks. Most of which Monster. I dont want to play a game where i either have to have a weather deck or have a counter deck for one meta. That is not fun IMHO.

I am sick of those monster weather decks. Clear sky doesn't apply to both sides, weather decks could ultimately have countless weather cards which is more than ALL OF WEATHER CLEAR METHOS that other decks could bring (3 clear sky+ usually one weather counter silver). I have been playing this game for 75 hours. The problem is that weather cards are too easy to play but TOO HARD TO BE BEATEN. In open beta, weather's damage is PERMANENT! The longer i wait, the more damage i have to bear. Put a weather on a row and waiting until your opponent plays a clear sky. THERE IS NO WAY TO COUNTER especially when the weather effect can be triggered by UNITS for the monster faction! Im fine with other faction's weather decks but monster decks? Just tell me how to play against them :) Those decks could easily get 4 weather effects and ALL OF THEM can be triggered by units. This means the deck has ridiculously high chance to trigger these effects and even if effects are cleared, units are still there. At the same time, others units could be boosted or summed trough weather effects. This is just too strong comparing to any other decks.
You may say there are other bronze units i can bring to clear the weather on the row. Here's the question: why should i bring all weather counter cards just to assure i will have the opportunity to win the match against monster decks (Its not even guaranteed)? Bringing all weather counter cards makes my deck vulnerable against other decks and the discrepancy is quite fatal if i have to bring more than 4 weather counter cards.
Overall, the problem is that there is no efficient way to counter weather decks currently. Maybe Nilfgaard and Scoia'tael could have less disadvantage, but is there any Skellige or Nothern decks can counter weather decks? :) Even bring all clear sky methods, Skellige is ridiculously weak in front of weather decks. In closed beta, weather deck was an issue, and it becomes the issue again in open beta. Seriously, i wish you guys could find some ways to balance the game. Brainless decks are what destroyed Hearthstone. Please do not ruin my hope of card games. I understand that unbalance is inevitable during the process of developing the game, but please, pay more attention to the weather function. Make wise adjustments.
No matter what, i wish all the best to this game and the group of people who develop it. As an enthusiastic player, i hope my feedback could help the development.

I mean... clear skies is pretty much the worst way to clear weather. That alone rubs me the wrong way. Mages, CS units, moving units from weather, armor specials and even self-inflicted Dbomb constitute better ways to "counter" weather. These special/weather spam decks may seem fun to some but I honestly think such decks are dumb and shouldn't exist. It's not because they're magically OP. It's just irritating to face them and in many regards mindnumbing to use them.

I'm not entirely sure how making every weather agile, removing all immunity, letting weather deal damage on the turn of the casting player and gold weather working as it does seemed like a good idea. And with certain unit interactions weather/special spam becoming a thing couldn't have come as a surprise. Worst of all I don't see how old weather from CB was necessarily broken, in need of fixing. It was a supplemental concept for a deck, like every other special. There were synergy, time and place considerations like every other card. Now... not so much.

Complete noob here, but I'm thinking it would be best if weather effects faded over a couple of turns. Say, 2-1-1 damage, then removed from the board. You could roll across rows spamming weather, but in the end you'd just exhaust your deck, and most opponents units of strength would probably still be standing, while you have not played for points at all.

Clear Skies could also have a preventive effect, banishing new weather effects in the next turn so it can be used both pro- and retroactively. It should also only clear one row, so that Gold weather effects actually are Gold weather effects.

Last edited:
TH3WITCH3R;n8870290 said:
At least for me weather immune units are not a solution as giving all weather immunity to any card is wrong as well justifying some units & it's immunity to proper weather is hard too like making pirates immune to fog is not makes any sense & same goes with many other units as well it's not going to work as weather is now free from particular row so it's possible for anyone to damage one weather immune unit with different weather & as I said above giving immunity from all weather to units is not a great idea.

I concur, there would just be too few instances where this wouldn't be a stroke of luck.

TH3WITCH3R;n8870290 said:
Proper solution imo is I think...

- Make Bronze weather works only for 2/3 turns as for bronze card removing 6/7 strength is enough I think. Gold weather is only removable by clear sky OR
- Remove strength from units in weather after 2 turns. Every turn damage is too high for bronze weather at least OR
- Limit the weather use par round OR
- Weather is only going to damage cards till 1 strength & Clear Sky will reset all cards to there base strength [ going to remove buff from all cards ] As we can remove 1/3 strength cards pretty easily even before opp. going to use clear sky.

I'm more or less with you on the first 3, not so sure about the last one. :) See my suggestion above.

Wow I just checked the forums for the first time to say exactly this. Glad to see most people agree weather decks are a bit too strong right now.

It seems like every single ranked battle is against a weather deck. There's clearly something wrong when 8/10 of the matches I play are weather spammers.

My issue with weather is that it applies a tick at the start of the turn rather than at the end. It makes it so that even if you do counter with a weather removal card, the weather still gets value. In most cases the damage is already done.

Not to mention if you do use clear skies to counter a weather card, its a bad trade. The weather already did damage, it got value, all your clear skies did however was prevent further damage. Its essentially trading something for nothing, especially since rally was added to clear skies.

I think applying weather affects at the end of a turn would fix most problems. It would allow players to respond to it, and still punish those without a counter. And decks centered around weather will still be viable since they're likely to have more weather cards than the enemy has weather clear.

Top Bottom