Isn't Kambi Kind of Broken?

+
So on top of so many things we have to play around when playing against SK (many are impossible to play around), we should also play around Kambi? Lets say the right most three cards (or four cards) I have drawn are important Gold cards and all will only work towards the end of the round. Now, Kambi can be played any time. No w, should I simply throw off the Gold cards because the opponent *may* have Kambi? Since we can't rearrange the cards in hand, how else can I play around Kambi (which may not may not come)? While the Kambi player have all the time in the world to play it optimally. If Kambi has a condition that, if you have only card in hand, discard that card and discard a random card from opponent's hand, then I would say it is fair. Players will only have to anticipate Kambi at the end. Or if it is on an Order, then also it is fine. Or the most fair ability will be to Discard a random card from your hand and then discard a random card from opponents hand.

The fact that it can come anytime and there is no way to counter it and since hand can't be rearranged, this is an extremely annoying card.

Is it OP? NO. Is it broken? May be not. Is it a fair card? NO. Is it annoying? Yes, like hell.
You should worry about building your own strategy to win match instead of does or doesnt opponent have Kambi.

"the fact that it can come anytime" so now you should be able to dictate when cards must be played, please this complain is pathetic.

This is not old gwent where gold cards were always placed on right end, placement of cards is completely random so Kambi can be powerful or worthless it depends on pure luck. If you really worry that Kambi will destroy your final powerful last card then use it one turn before and keep fodder bronze for last card.

Kambi is legendary status card its effects should be powerful.

Last edited:
It's actually quite simple. As I wrote before, Kambi is high RNG and variance. Gwent is supposed to be a strategy game. In a strategy game, RNG and variance should be very limited, especially when it comes to card abilities, otherwise cards are impossible to properly balance. This is fundamental for a strategy game. On top of that, Kambi's ability is a "screw-you" ability similar to Usurper and Viper Witchers. Saying that you always need to be prepared for Kambi is similar to saying you always need to be prepared for Usurper. It's plain silly, killing gameplay and fun. So the fundamentals are wrong and this card needs to change to fit in this strategy game. If fundamentals are wrong, other arguments simply don't matter.

It's actually quite simple. As I wrote before, Kambi is high RNG and variance. Gwent is supposed to be a strategy game. In a strategy game, RNG and variance should be very limited, especially when it comes to card abilities, otherwise cards are impossible to properly balance. This is fundamental for a strategy game. On top of that, Kambi's ability is a "screw-you" ability similar to Usurper and Viper Witchers. Saying that you always need to be prepared for Kambi is similar to saying you always need to be prepared for Usurper. It's plain silly, killing gameplay and fun. So the fundamentals are wrong and this card needs to change to fit in this strategy game. If fundamentals are wrong, other arguments simply don't matter.

And Kambi's card ability is more than properly balanced despite it being high on RNG and variance, so no need to change.

This kind of complains are starting to get boring. First players asked for nerf of power or provisions on a card. Lately, everyone is asking for a complete change of perfectly fine, non-OP cards (Kambi, artifacts, discard mechanics...). Will you people ever be satisfied with anything? I wouldn't mind if those complains were made for uninteresting cards but for stuff like this?
I just hope CDPR ignores threads like this.

And Kambi's card ability is more than properly balanced despite it being high on RNG and variance, so no need to change.

This kind of complains are starting to get boring. First players asked for nerf of power or provisions on a card. Lately, everyone is asking for a complete change of perfectly fine, non-OP cards (Kambi, artifacts, discard mechanics...). Will you people ever be satisfied with anything? I wouldn't mind if those complains were made for uninteresting cards but for stuff like this?
Please explain to me how you came to the objective conclusion that Kambi is "more than properly balanced" (whatever the "more than" means). It's a simple fact that a card with high RNG and variance is by definition not "properly balanced".

Don't start with calling posts "complaints", trying to make people who want to change Kambi sound negative. Similarly, I could call your post "complaining" about the posts made here. Not very constructive is it? In fact, your post is quite offensive with "you people" and "I hope CDPR ignores threads like this".

> Kambi's card ability is properly balanced
> Depends on high RNG and variance

You realize how these two statements contradict each other....right? A card can never be properly balance if its ABILITY relies so much on variance and randomness. It effects both players and it usually only benefits one of them in an unfair way.

What kind of complaints? This is about one card. Not artifacts or specials or whatever. I never said I want Kambi to have an uninteresting ability, I don't understand how people got that from my post. I am satisfied with most of the game except for a few things so stop making assumptions based on one post.

> Kambi's card ability is properly balanced
> Depends on high RNG and variance

You realize how these two statements contradict each other....right? A card can never be properly balance if its ABILITY relies so much on variance and randomness. It effects both players and it usually only benefits one of them in an unfair way.

What kind of complaints? This is about one card. Not artifacts or specials or whatever. I never said I want Kambi to have an uninteresting ability, I don't understand how people got that from my post. I am satisfied with most of the game except for a few things so stop making assumptions based on one post.

They don't because balancing is made through provisions and power. That is the main balancing way, and i Kambi had, let's say, 2 provisions less than he has now, he would then be unbalanced and probably too strong or his disruption. RNG and variance is balanced by itself. If Kambi didn't have a RNG ability (discarding the highest power minion or highest provision card from both hands for example, or lowest for that matter) he would be even more unbalanced and it would be even harder to make him balanced. RNG and variance can be used for balancing, and it is quite good here. It is in no way unfair. Perhaps it would be best to discard a random card from both players hand (for you, and people who don't like him now) but it's hard for me to say when he is ok to me now. It is by no way unfair, you are just saying that because RNG is involved. Regis:Bloodlust is more "unfair" if you look at it from pure "unfair" point of view (how much they impact game).

I didn't mean to say, you wanted (or anybody in this thread) all of the changes to happen, but that's the overall tone of the forums these days, and it just sucks, it's like players just want to make this game more straightforward with their suggestions lately which seems pretty bad to me. Btw, I had to post that somewhere, it would be pretty bad/lame if I made a thread about it.
Post automatically merged:

Please explain to me how you came to the objective conclusion that Kambi is "more than properly balanced" (whatever the "more than" means). It's a simple fact that a card with high RNG and variance is by definition not "properly balanced".

Don't start with calling posts "complaints", trying to make people who want to change Kambi sound negative. Similarly, I could call your post "complaining" about the posts made here. Not very constructive is it? In fact, your post is quite offensive with "you people" and "I hope CDPR ignores threads like this".

More than means that he is underpowered, so he falls out of balance, and is underpowered considering other cards. Btw, what you said is definitely not a fact, randomness helps in balancing quite often, it's just that you don't like (I guess) balancing through randomness.
Btw pretty much every post here is complaining about something, no? If you find that offensive, sry, I can't help that, it just doesn't sound offensive to me. How do you want me to express the overall forum complaining, you want me to name every one that complains about ingame stuff, or writing all of those people as "you people". If you find the latter more offensive, I can't say anything than that I'm baffled.
That last bit is expressing my view on this thread without saying much words (and other similar suggestions about NON OP cards, that is the whole point).

Btw. I understand your point of view, but I think you are thinking too much about the "strategy game" title. I'd argue that MTG is a strategy game, much more complex than chess, and it has much more randomness than Gwent has (while chess obviously has none, and that makes the game quite straightforward for many people).

Last of all, sry if I sound offensive/aggressive, that's why I don't delve into this discussions too much because my dissatisfaction with something always sounds aggressive -.-

Last edited:
I had one card left, and when the chicken discarded it the game forced me to pass.
But i had units on the battlefield with "Order" abilities avaliable, so it should have let me stay to use them.

Moderator's note: "skellige's yellow chicken" is called Kambi. Updated the topic of the thread for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kambi discards your card in your opponent's turn. In your turn you have no cards, without a card you can't activate your oders. It's not a bug, it's an annoying card...

Have the devs specified that its working as intended? Because in a last turn, you can activate orders after using your last card when entering the turn with the card. I once read somewhere the forced pass should only happen when the player can literally not do anything anymore.

Skellige's yellow chicken is absolutely game-breaking sometimes. I made a thread about it a couple of weeks ago and had a lengthy discussion about it.

If you play vs SK you should expect that card and play around (like not leave card/leader abilities for the last turn).

It's all normal and not gamebreaking, it just requires basic knowledge about faction.

I don't want add any fuel to the fire but this happened to me a week or so ago :D
Didn't even knew you can get legendary from daily rewards, though I guess it is extremely rare.
666.png

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
I don't want add any fuel to the fire but this happened to me a week or so ago :D
Didn't even knew you can get legendary from daily rewards, though I guess it is extremely rare.View attachment 10999945
Well, congratulations! :ok:Recently another forum member posted a screenshot of getting a legendary card. I had got two Epic cards till now after HC, but I think, for legendary card, you should have legendary luck!

I never really passed attention to it, after the first few cards were some bronze duplicates. I think I will change that!

If you play vs SK you should expect that card and play around (like not leave card/leader abilities for the last turn).

It's all normal and not gamebreaking, it just requires basic knowledge about faction.

I don't think its right to assume your last turn is going to be taken from you on the assumption your opponent uses Kambi. Its a bad card.

I don't think its right to assume your last turn is going to be taken from you on the assumption your opponent uses Kambi. Its a bad card.
And I don't think it's right to assume the 12 str card on your hand will be set to 1. There are lot of bad cards in all factions. They are bad, when we are their victims.

Top Bottom