Isn't the coin mechanic like artifacts on steroids?

+
The binary artifact - delayed point playing mechanic is disliked by a lot of players. Now there are coins that opponents cannot interact with at all. Similar to artifacts, coins can be saved and can be used all at once on deploy by several cards. Yes, on deploy, SY was apparently saved from Orders for some reason (not that I like Orders, but that's another story). This seems like the artifact mechanic on steroids. Your thoughts?

My first steps with SY were so-so. While I like the freedom of choice, wether to use 1 - 9 coins at once, it isn't a fair mechanic, when there is no answer to it. A card for non-SY factions that steals/burns coins from the opponent would have been nice.

All in all, while SY isn't balanced at all (I smiled like a child when I had my shield producing machine left to my protection card, which was then shielded, which allows you to fully control the unit by unlocking/boosting/whatever is needed afterwards), I lost most of my games. Sure, I only have a subset of all SY cards, but so far I don't see SY as the unbeatable faction.

(My views might change though)

Love this mechanic, but I also had the feeling that it might be a bit too strong. I guess time will tell...

I wouldn‘t mind proper counters though, for example guard units that can collect bounty for as long as they are on the board, or something like that.

I have played a few more games against SY now. Coins really are like the artifact mechanic on steroids. There's nothing to interact with, not even on a binary level. The opponent can do anything with these coins, at any time, through units already on the board or on deploy with a newly played unit. Max 9 points (or even 18 with Philippa) saved for later when it makes sense to use them, and that multiple times. Indeed tulamide, that does not seem a fair mechanic. Isn't this why in the past some artifacts were nerfed? The cards that only give coins while not playing anything on the board are just ridiculous. Nothing to interact with, nothing to see even. The coin game is a solitary one.

Coins aren't like artifacts, they're a resource that needs to be managed. You have to decide on how you want to spend them.

Do I pay this unit's fee to trigger its ability? If I do, I might not have enough coin to pay another unit's tribute when the time comes to play it. So then you'll have to think about how to generate more coin, and aside from leader abilities, you have cards like Tax Collectors, Imke and the like. And if you're opponent destroys or locks your sources of income, it won't be so easy to generate coin to pay your units, so that's one way your opponent can mess with your money.

I think the only reason they added the coin mechanic was to make this faction feel truly unique. In all honesty, I love how this faction plays but it is true that some cards are too strong. I think with proper balancing the faction can be toned down a bit. It is very easy to generate coin but the problem itself comes with some of the abilities. They're just much better in terms of value over provisions.

Coins aren't like artifacts, they're a resource that needs to be managed. You have to decide on how you want to spend them.

Do I pay this unit's fee to trigger its ability? If I do, I might not have enough coin to pay another unit's tribute when the time comes to play it. So then you'll have to think about how to generate more coin, and aside from leader abilities, you have cards like Tax Collectors, Imke and the like. And if you're opponent destroys or locks your sources of income, it won't be so easy to generate coin to pay your units, so that's one way your opponent can mess with your money.
You are ignoring the mechanic of saving up points that cannot be interacted with (not even binary like artifacts) and spending them all together when needed to create a (huge) swing, and that multiple times. Decide how you want to spend coins? Sure, just like how and when you want to use your artifacts' abilities.

The only issue with coins (and because of that, hoard abilities like The Flying Redanian) is that they cannot be interacted with. Coins are like a hybrid engine that cannot be removed. That in itself is not an issue, but it does set a dangerous precedence, namely it becomes very difficult to balance. If you let the engines run amok, then you usually lose the game. That's the gambit of NR, if your engines survive you win the game.

How can this be fixed for Syndicate?
1. Remove the (implied) Zeal from Fee abilities.
2. Limit the amount of coins that can be spend in one turn.

That should suffice.

Imagine having one - and only one - faction with completely irremovable, uninterruptible engine. Something other factions can only dream about. Something that even the old artifacts meta couldn't have due to artifacts removals. That's right, it's the Syndicate coins.

And meanwhile Syndicate cards don't even need that engine to be better than many alternative cards from other factions. Their bronzes put other factions bronzes to shame. So it's not like Syndicate is weak without the coins engine, fat from it. The cards are decent, and the coins engine makes them excellent.

Last edited:
Igor + Scribe fair play if with this 2 cards fill ful board and obtained free coins…. whatever today i say good bye gwent after 500 hours play in this game that mechanic destroy all game i think high % players who cant build this BROKEN decks stoped play this game other faction had cooldown / orders but syndicate nothing can spend coins and destroy your board / deck with 2 cards if CD PROJEKT want end develop this game now did it :) ... lose vs lvl 9 cuz had Syndicate well done

Attachments

• 2019-07-01_1504_2.png
    2019-07-01_1504_2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
Pl
Igor + Scribe fair play if with this 2 cards fill ful board and obtained free coins…. whatever today i say good bye gwent after 500 hours play in this game that mechanic destroy all game i think high % players who cant build this BROKEN decks stoped play this game other faction had cooldown / orders but syndicate nothing can spend coins and destroy your board / deck with 2 cards if CD PROJEKT want end develop this game now did it :) ... lose vs lvl 9 cuz had Syndicate well done
Play Seasonal, Arena or Casual until hotfix. It is coming this week. Don't play ranked, gather ressources and RPs. SY is brutal strong but please make no drama...it is only a game (I say this with more than 2000 hours in the game).

Freddybabes posted this video on his channel with some great ideas for further balance

I have to say. If this game does not get balanced soon I will stop playing it. Meta is to play Syndicate now.

My games vs syndacate are "no targets, coins coins coins, I loose the game. Beautiful. :shrug:

Top Bottom