it feels like you pretty much make no difference in this game [Spoilers]

+
and i love that, not sure it was on purpose but most games you are the centre of the universe and the entire universe is your playground while in this you are just fighting to stay alive, doesnt matter who you kill not much changes, nightcity swallows you up and its a great feeling because it makes the storyline feel more personal

I really do wish your actions had consequences and repercussions: how you approach gigs might unlock or lock out subsequent jobs, gangs remembered you and changed their tactics or even came after you, Arasaka was gunning for you, people you helped or hindered remembered, etc
i am going to be honest i wish you had the chance to kill or spare a specific character who betrays you early on, i think there should be far more choices and consequences in your own story i am just glad your story doesnt affect the rest of the city

speaking of things i wish was improved street cred..........apart from being able to buy a few new things, getting a new new missions ect it changes nothing and that sucks

I don't mind not being the center of the universe in a game.

...but I do mind that it was like we were never there.

You may as well get rid of all the gigs, all the side quests, life path, character options, and dialogue choices and just give us a visual novel broken up by some shooty shooty bang bang.

RPG choice and consequence doesn't mean you have to change the world - but it should change a part of it.

I have to say I am quite disappointed by the lack of consequences to your actions. Like someone said in another thread, the first act is the only one leading to real consequences of your decisions and it really sucks. Being able to chose for all endings no matter how you played the game feels like a robbery when you bought an RPG.

I don't mind not being the center of the universe in a game.

...but I do mind that it was like we were never there.

You may as well get rid of all the gigs, all the side quests, life path, character options, and dialogue choices and just give us a visual novel broken up by some shooty shooty bang bang.

RPG choice and consequence doesn't mean you have to change the world - but it should change a part of it.
i honestly agree with you i love the feeling of nightcity being so big that you are not important to nightcity but the fact that you make no difference to those around you apart from a few specific missions(the voodoo boys) is disappointing as hell

and i love that, not sure it was on purpose but most games you are the centre of the universe and the entire universe is your playground while in this you are just fighting to stay alive, doesnt matter who you kill not much changes, nightcity swallows you up and its a great feeling because it makes the storyline feel more personal
True ... I had this issue with Diablo 3 ... Besides all the other lore-breaking rubbish in this game, me being the eternal whatever and the heart of a universe was by far too much.

I like that V is a nobody, a nobody with street cred, but still ... and the world is the same as before ...

NC and the whole world is a demon for its self, and everything that happens is just a side note.

Love that.

Regards

I have to say I am quite disappointed by the lack of consequences to your actions. Like someone said in another thread, the first act is the only one leading to real consequences of your decisions and it really sucks. Being able to chose for all endings no matter how you played the game feels like a robbery when you bought an RPG.

Hey now guys, you're being entirely unfair here! Didn't CDPR change their CP2077 listing a few months back from an RPG to an Action Adventure? /S

It's not like you damaged Kang-Taos property and incurred a loss of around 120 million €$ and even more horribly you made the news reporter eat n old microwaved burrito because of the EMP that blew the lights out for some time. :)

YEah, you make no difference... because if you dont save Hanako, Yorinobu takes power, and turns Arasaka on Militech and starts another Corporate war, because he wants to destroy the Arasaka from inside.... no difference whatsoever....
Post automatically merged:

I really do wish your actions had consequences and repercussions: how you approach gigs might unlock or lock out subsequent jobs, gangs remembered you and changed their tactics or even came after you, Arasaka was gunning for you, people you helped or hindered remembered, etc

there are multiple gigs that have follow up gig - for example in Watson, you get a gig to put the tracker on a car of some Russian.. then you get a gig to get the shard from his apartment and deliver it to Chinesse agents... you can see same russian during early stages of Heist...

Another example is the hit on Jotaro Shobo, which then gives you gig to hit the producer of those raw snuff BDs... and it also allows you to intimidate Woodman during main quest at Clouds...

And some gigs even evolve into full blown quest line like Sinerman..

Last edited:
YEah, you make no difference... because if you dont save Hanako, Yorinobu takes power, and turns Arasaka on Militech and starts another Corporate war, because he wants to destroy the Arasaka from inside.... no difference whatsoever....
Who cares?! There is no difference between corps, doesn't matter, who among them wins or lose. So yes, no difference whatsoever.
Mike Pondsmith himself clearly stated that his world is about small personal stories about heroes who survive and solve their small personal problems. CDPR didn't get it at all - V's actions have some influence on balance of power between corpos, but unable to save himself.

Really good stories are linear by nature. They can't be read out of order and the outcome of key events cannot change otherwise it alters character motivation etc.

But in the medium of videogames you can still do choice and consequence in a linear narrative and a good example of that is SOMA. For anyone who hasn't played it, I highly recommend it and wont be spoiling it for you. For those who have, what I'm about to say will be less cryptic.

Nothing you do in the game materially changes because of anything you choose to do, or not as the case may be. But by confronting me with the choice, the game asked some incredibly difficult ethical questions of me that I struggled to answer and still do, 3 years after I finished the game. I still think about it sometimes. In a way it has transformed much of my beliefs on what it means to be alive.

These choices don't result in materially different outcomes but I agonized over these decisions nonetheless. Part of it came down to, could I live with this decision? How am I going to rationalize it? Why do I feel I have to when theres nobody left to judge me anyway?

Its not about right or wrong. Its not about what path leads to the more preferable end state. That is irrelevant in the setting. Its about you and whats in your own head. How you think and why you think the way that you do. It made me look at things very differently. It was then that I realized that even if the outcome doesn't change, the question matters. Your choice matters. You will get your hands dirty, but how you get them dirty and why is everything. I can't think of many games that got into my head and stayed there for years like SOMA did. Cyberpunk asks some similar questions.

Who cares?! There is no difference between corps, doesn't matter, who among them wins or lose. So yes, no difference whatsoever.
Mike Pondsmith himself clearly stated that his world is about small personal stories about heroes who survive and solve their small personal problems. CDPR didn't get it at all - V's actions have some influence on balance of power between corpos, but unable to save himself.

So you are now saying there are things you directly influence, but you DONT CARE....

Johnny Silverhand entire goal was to destroy Arasaka.. and yet Yorinobu had exactly same goal from the start... with Adam Smasher backing him up.... yeah it doesnt matter...

and if you want to save yoursef.. side with Arasaka.. they will made an engram of V, and give him new body once such is available... that doesnt mean he is dead.

Cyberpunk asks some similar questions.
And then kill you with cancer in the very end no mattter what you decide. V clearly has one and one only motivation - survive. And he failed, not because of player's decisions, but because of writer despotism. Nice, deep story about futulity of any effort and inevitability of death and undisputed despotism of corporations, like CDPR)

So you are now saying there are things you directly influence, but you DONT CARE....
I don't care this corpo wars, for the reasons i stated. Capitalism itself is bad by nature, fight corpos is meaningless. Morever, i don't believe in power and significance of one man, even on the top. Not any Arasaka rules the corps alone, he hasn't absolute power, he is main stakeholder and chairman of the board of directors, he mainly does what the board and stakeholders want from him. So i see not big difference between Hanako or Yorinobu in chair.
Moreover, if such a giant corpos like Militech and Arasaka are going to war, this is a serious decision of many rich and powerful men, not the result of personality of some single person. Single persons very rarely defines global processes, usually they follow them.

But, i must admit, V can make a difference, by helping his friends. And that was, perhaps, the only good thing in the game - NPCs and side stories.
Post automatically merged:

and if you want to save yoursef.. side with Arasaka.. they will made an engram of V, and give him new body once such is available... that doesnt mean he is dead.
No, it means exactly that. V becomes corpo property, like stapler. He is no more, nothing.

And then kill you with cancer in the very end no mattter what you decide. V clearly has one and one only motivation - survive. And he failed, not because of player's decisions, but because of writer despotism. Nice, deep story about futulity of any effort and inevitability of death and undisputed despotism of corporations, like CDPR)

What an incredibly cynical take. You, me, everyone is going to die eventually. Some sooner, some later. How you lived your life up to that point still matters and its the same in V's story. Who V chooses to keep close, who they choose to keep away and the reasons why (your personal reasons) still means something.

Top Bottom