It would be interesting if Bioware....

+
It would be interesting if Bioware....

....would license Red Engine 4.

I was thinking about the last Mass Effect game....
I don't *really* want to beat up on the engine *itself*.... but.....
You'd think that RE4 would be way more up Bioware's ally than a engine historically designed for linear corridors and combat arenas.

EDIT *Deleted UE4 comment*

Last edited:

sv3672

Forum veteran
It might be a nitpick, but doesn't the new Mass Effect game use the Frostbite engine, rather than UE4? Anyway, some aspects of the game that have been criticized (such as facial animations) could have looked better with RED engine.

sv3672;n9495811 said:
It might be a nitpick, but doesn't the new Mass Effect game use the Frostbite engine, rather than UE4? Anyway, some aspects of the game that have been criticized (such as facial animations) could have looked better with RED engine.

Lol, no that is not a nitpick it's actually a very valid major point. Whoops.

Although my idea is still the same.
Frostbite is mostly (from my understanding, which is obviously lacking) designed around the Battlefield series. An engine that was designed primarily for massive FPS multiplayer gaming actually sounds worse the UE4 though for making a thrid person RPG.

I don't think BF (and therefor Frostbite) is going to play second fiddle to anything else though.
I'm not an expert, but I imagine there's a lot behind the scenes just in term of scripting that would be better in Red than Frost.

Last edited:

sv3672

Forum veteran
If I recall correctly, there were actually plans (from around 2013-2014) to license RED engine 3 to other developers, but they seem to have been dropped for whatever reason.

Guest 3847602

NukeTheMoon;n9495621 said:
....would license Red Engine 4.

I was thinking about the last Mass Effect game....
I don't *really* want to beat up on the engine *itself*.... but.....
You'd think that RE4 would be way more up Bioware's ally than a engine historically designed for linear corridors and combat arenas.

EDIT *Deleted UE4 comment*

Unfortunately, BioWare doesn't have luxury of choice anymore, EA have made decision for them (and for every other studio under their paws) - "Use Frostbite so we don't have to pay license fees to other companies".
So, even if BW wanted to use RE4 and CDPR decided to "return the favor" nothing will come of it thanks to Electronic Farts. ;)

NukeTheMoon;n9495921 said:
Frostbite is mostly (from my understanding, which is obviously lacking) designed around the Battlefield series. An engine that was designed primarily for massive FPS multiplayer gaming actually sounds worse the UE4 though for making a thrid person RPG.

It seems to be EA's policy to require the use of Frostbite in the games that they publish, which is not unusual among other publishers either (e.g. Arkane had to use Bethesda's id Tech engine in Dishonored 2), perhaps they want to minimize tech support costs, although in my opinion that is easily outweighed by the disadvantages of making an inferior game. CDPR being mostly independent allowed them to set the design priorities of RED engine 3 specifically according to the demands of The Witcher 3, so they could focus on things that are important in this kind of game (like the cinematic dialogue system), rather than being forced to use an engine originally developed for multiplayer FPS.

It would have been ironical in some way though if BioWare ended up using RED engine, given that the first Witcher game licensed BioWare's Aurora engine, it would have shown how they have been outgrown by CD Projekt over the years.

sv3672;n9504601 said:
It would have been ironical in some way though if BioWare ended up using RED engine, given that the first Witcher game licensed BioWare's Aurora engine, it would have shown how they have been outgrown by CD Projekt over the years.

Lets be fair BioWare has no choices to grow because of EA .

On the other hand a Farcry game would be pretty cool with Red engine .

... would fix issues that are still going on in Mass Effect Andromeda. But that won't happen since they are not working on it anymore.

Top Bottom