Items vanishing from the world after beginning NG+

+
If new members want to post something straight away, simply create the post here and flag a member of the moderation team. Like so:

@SlyK182

We can move it to a new thread for you.

Thank you, didn't know that!
Well, I'm tagging you @SigilFey to make it faster.

My problem is: as soon as I start HoS missions in NG+ story mode, many items (those which are linked to certain missions) suddenly start disappearing before even picking them up.
It happened at first right after beating the Caretaker, when his (its?) spade was on the ground. As soon as I walked toward it, it disappeared, literally vanished when I was close enough to make the "[X] collect item" button show up (I'm playing on pc using an Xbox controller).
I didn't care about it at that time.
Then, it started happening again, more and more often: during the "Message from an Old Friend" side quest there was no collectible book on the bookshop's shelves; when I reached Kaer Morhen (after finishing the whole HoS DLC) other items started disappearing too, like "Berengar's Notes", "Monstrum, or a Portrayal of Witchers. Volume 2", the letter inside the troll's cave during the "Monster Slayer" side quest, etc. They all disappeared as soon as I went near them (I could see them glowing while using the Witcher Senses!).
So I tried loading my old savefiles one by one, until I found one (June 15th, argh!) where these bugs did not happen: everything was still in its right place (not sure about the Caretaker's spade, which I didn't try retrieving because it would take me too much time).

Useful notes: I am playing on Win10, on Steam. I don't have TW3: Wild Hunt GOTY, I purchased the game and the DLCs separately. I can post my PC specs if necessary.
I also have installed a few mods (I can list them if necessary), I have used some consolle command (mostly 'additem(ID)' or 'addskillpoints()', to be fair), and manually edited two game files (the general.ini config file to enable the debug consolle, and levelManager.ws to raise the maximum level cap up to 10000).

Last edited:
Posteth move'd, forsooth.

If I remember rightly, and I only fiddled with NG+, quest specific items should be reset when you start NG+. Ala, not in your inventory any more.

Were you sure to create a brand new save in an unused save slot before you tried to launch NG+? This sounds like it could be some data corruption / confusion. If you try to use a quicksave slot or save over an existing saved game, it can create issues.

My impression of reading the OP is not that items didn't port over, the issue is items disappearing in-game. Which is the first I've heard of this type of thing.

Posteth move'd, forsooth.
Thank you!

If I remember rightly, and I only fiddled with NG+, quest specific items should be reset when you start NG+. Ala, not in your inventory any more.
Yep, I'm aware of that.

Were you sure to create a brand new save in an unused save slot before you tried to launch NG+? This sounds like it could be some data corruption / confusion. If you try to use a quicksave slot or save over an existing saved game, it can create issues.
Yep, I made a manual save on an unused slot from which I started NG+.

Point is, as @Hayashi.226 is correctly saying, items are actually present in the game: I can definitely see them glowing while using Witcher Senses. But, as soon as I try to collect them, they vanish.
I'll try to post a video of what happens asap, just to make it clear (though I may not be able to do it until tomorrow).

You're more than welcome!

Point is, as @Hayashi.226 is correctly saying, items are actually present in the game: I can definitely see them glowing while using Witcher Senses. But, as soon as I try to collect them, they vanish.
I'll try to post a video of what happens asap, just to make it clear (though I may not be able to do it until tomorrow).

If you're sure this is re-createable, go ahead and send this into CDPR Support directly. I've not heard of this type of thing before, unless it was a data corruption issue.

@SigilFey I already opened a ticket to CDPR support a few days ago, attaching two savefiles (one right before starting the "Message from an Old Friend" quest, another right after killing the troll in "Monster Slayer"), but noone replied yet; so I was hoping someone else experienced the same issue and could help me about it.

Anyway, here's a video about what happens during "Monster Slayer" (using the savefile I sent):

Hi @devivre, yes, I already tried a few possible solutions:
1- uninstall/reinstall every mod (by unmerging and merging back every script);
2- verify files' integrity using the Steam utility (I even tried to take a look at the code myself, but there's too much of it and I have no experience with C++);
3- uninstall and reinstall the whole game, the second time in a different location (didn't try to reinstall it in a different drive, though, but that would require a whole Steam reinstall and I believe it would be ineffective anyway).

Unfortunately, none of it worked!

But yes, I'll be patient. I'm a software developer myself and I know it can require some time before processing the ticket, let alone making tests and debugging the issue. As I wrote before, I just thought it was worth trying to ask here if anybody has ever had this same problem before. :D

The problem is that Mods can affect your save game up to the point were only a fresh start can solve the issue.

It‘s tricky to see the issue in the video, but from what you describe before it could definitely be a mod issue.

But hopefully support will be able to tell you more.

You may want to take a look at this thread. Around page 4 a solution of sorts is described (for the problem discussed there, which seems similar to what you describe). The solution is not elegant, but it does work -- I've tried it myself.

Top Bottom