It's Obama!

+
Funny thing, Polish famous writer Adam Mickiewicz wich was also known as a prophet wrote in 19 th century:
Wskrzesiciel narodu, Z matki obcej; krew jego dawne bohatery, A imię jego będzie czterdzieści i cztery.
I will try to translate:Savior if the Nationfrom foreign mother,His blood - past heroesand His name will be Forty and Four ??? :)He wrote it in a poem called "Dziady" (Forefathers' Eve), but nobody seemed to understand it until now...

OH! got it now 8) It's weird how much destiny plays out. :hmmm:EDIT: Fantastic next four years for Democrats ;D

I live in New Mexico, USA 8) and 85% of our county (Taos) voted for Obama. :peace: It was a fantastic day for the Democratic party. We also control the Senate and the House. :)

Corylea said:
Barack Obama is the next President of the United States!I've been sad since Bush "won" the first election, eight years ago. It looks like Obama will take this one. I'm so relieved that I can't express it; I want to kiss his feet or something.I saw a heart-warming picture of a 96-year-old little old black lady at her polling place, a person who never thought she'd get to vote for a black presidential candidate in her lifetime, but she is, she IS! I saw video footage of people of all colors in Chicago, flooding into Grant Park, all of them happy, some of them waving Obama stuff at the camera. I saw pictures all over the place of Obama and his white grandmother hugging.
Congratulations, Cory (and all people of good will in the United States). I honestly, urgently hope that Barack Obama lives up to his promise. I confess I'm deeply worried to see that he has appointed as his chief of staff someone who is so closely associated with Israel; that could be a good thing - Emanuel was involved in the Clinton foreign policy, which wasn't dreadful... but it feels to me like getting off on the wrong foot, and it will not play well in the Muslim third of the world.I also strongly reminded of how elated I was when Tony Blair won his first general election. I'm not a Labour supporter - I was running the computers for the Scottish National Party that night (and I'm partly sour this morning because we lost an important by-election last night) - but it still felt like a bright new dawn, a chance for Britain to become a more humane country and better world citizen. Look what happened to that. Now we've reached the situation that the Labour party is now rated by the Political Compass as being to the right of the hated Margaret Thatcher. After twelve years of Labour , Britain is on the verge of being a police state....I honestly - I profoundly - hope this will not happen to you. I honestly hope that Obama will create a more thoughtful, a less arrogant, a less divided United States of America. Meantime, congratulations - and thanks - to everyone of you who voted to give him the chance.

SimonBrooke said:
I honestly hope that Obama will create a more thoughtful, a less arrogant, a less divided United States of America. Meantime, congratulations - and thanks - to everyone of you who voted to give him the chance.
Thank you, Simon. The international response to Obama's election has been heartwarming. I was afraid that the rest of the world had written us off completely after my fellow citizens decided to elect Bush in 2004, but it seems as if even our enemies are willing to give us a chance to grow up and behave decently. I know that there are big challenges ahead of us, and I know that there's a limit to what Obama can do, even with the best will in the world. But god, even just closing Guantanamo Bay will help. And with all due respect to Tony Thatcher Blair, I get the sense that Obama is a highly unusual human being. If you'll permit me a little hero-worship in these heady first few days after the election, I think maybe we have a man of Founding-Father quality. And god, we need one. No, Jefferson and Franklin and those guys weren't perfect -- no human being is, not even you and me :D -- but the contrast between them and the useless lump of protoplasm that currently inhabits the Oval Office is huge. I just hope that said useless lump can't wreak too much more havoc between now and January 20th.I only wish I believed in any gods, so that I had someone to thank; that's how full this election has made my heart.I'm sorry to hear that your party lost an election. I think Scotland would probably be better off as its own nation than as an afterthought in a conglomerate; I hope it'll happen for you someday.

Yes Corylea, it is heartwarming that any one outside the US even cares what's going on here anymore--especially after Bush. By the way, we didn't elect Bush the Electoral Colledge did--according to numbers of people's votes Bush shouldn't have been in office. And, the Electoral College vote is only supposed to have been being used in case of a tie but, that seems to have been forgotten by our Government. Anywho, it is awesome that people all over the world care about it and it probably means that foreign relations have already started to get better. 8) Oh, and even though I don't follow any one specific religion--cuz none are 100% accurate and can't choose--I know for fact that there is a GOD.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that elections in any world country having nuclear weapons would be important. Aside from that, the world economy is affected by the leader of each nation. While the American public is sadly unaware of what goes on outside their borders, hopefully Obama will be able to rectify that and educate his people.This is one reason the rest of the world watched the outcome so intently. World peace is still a global goal.~ Roxy

Yes, Roxxy, I know that -- I know it's mostly self-interest. One keeps an eye on the 800-pound gorilla, lest he sit on you. It's still heartwarming to get a positive international response to something happening in my country, for the first time in nearly a decade.

Congratulations Americans :) The majority has chosen and I really hope there will be change for the better, as you were promised.BTW, I have a question - what's with Obama's view on abortion? I have heard him saying that he accepts abortion in all cases and I also have heard people telling he also accepts the technique, which abortion is done at labor, when the baby is a feeling baby, not an embrion. As you guess, I haven't heard Obama himself talking about that way of doing it. Is it true?

Congratulations Americans for Barack Obama as new president :beer: I think it's a very important event in your history that white and black Americans voted for him :)An other thing what astonishes me: it's the personality cult of Obama. All that Obama merchandise. Don't get me wrong, I understand the hype. Maybe overhere in Germany we are too narrow minded but no one would buy any item with a politican on it what ever he / she achieved for the nation. Just the idea of a t shirt with Angela Merkel or Helmut Kohl (who is regarded as the architect of the reunification of East- and West Germany) give me shivers run down my spine
;D

PetraSilie said:
An other thing what astonishes me: it's the personality cult of Obama. All that Obama merchandise. Don't get me wrong, I understand the hype. Maybe overhere in Germany we are too narrow minded but no one would buy any item with a politican on it what ever he / she achieved for the nation. Just the idea of a t shirt with Angela Merkel or Helmut Kohl (who is regarded as the architect of the reunification of East- and West Germany) give me shivers run down my spine
;D
Most people over here would never think of buying any item with a politician on it, either. That's why Obama is special -- many people don't think of him as "a politician," even though anybody who's running for president has to be one. He feels more like a priest or minister -- the good kind, not the usual kind -- someone who inspires people to be their best selves. Bringing out the best in people -- I'm not sure we even have a word for the person who does that. I hope he can do it for real, now that the campaign is over; living up to our ideals instead of down to our selfishness could turn this country around in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Just the idea of a t shirt with Angela Merkel or Helmut Kohl (who is regarded as the architect of the reunification of East- and West Germany) give me shivers run down my spine
What? You don't find him attractive enough to wear on a t-shirt? :eek: ;D

So, for the first time USA has a biracial President. That's excellent for me. I expected to see this in my life, but not so soon to be honest. Definitely, we see a historic moment.Obama has an enormous burden on his back right now. He must face the hopes and expectations of both Americans and the outside world. And that would be much more difficult task than defeating and elder man in an election. Obama inherits serious internal problems like recent financial crisis and prospects of recession. Aside problems that arose recently, he has to deal also with the older ones - like the reform of health care system or the ideological issues that divide Americans like evolution or abortion. Good for Obama is that for at least two next years both houses of the Congress will have Democratic majority.But domestic problems might be only a schoolwalk comparing to what awaits him on the international theater. Two lengthy, exhausting wars aren't going anywhere and Obama must find a way to end them. Some foreign powers -like Russia- seem already to probe Obama. Will he be soft and peaceable or a decisive and stalwart leader? Will he back up Bush's pet projects like the anti-missile shield? Being Polish myself, my main concern are the relations with Russia which seem to be attempting to regain its former influence in the region. Obama's biggest asset is that he is viewed abroad as some sort of “anti-Bush” which means that all doors are open to him and that he doesn't have to fight for good relations with other world leaders.As to Prop8: I am quite surprised that liberal or even libertarian California voted that way.

No need to fling accusations at the poster Simon.That said, there shall be no politics discussions on the forum. You are free to say how you voted and the like, but no flaming each other over stances.

Top Bottom