It’s the Underdog Leader Challenge!

+
I stand brave and still play my full of units Harald deck. Within the last 4 hours 15 wins/5 losses in season mode, so I can't complain.

Also, interestingly enough the unitless decks I face most in ranked are Woodland Spirit decks.

In general: I really wish, people would stop being so biased ("Oh Skellige is part of the challenge, let's immediately bash it").

SK is my main faction and like any other leader challenge, I will always support SK. People are not bashing Harald because he is a Skellige leader, but because of the presence of his unitless variation.

The Harald variant with Summoning Circle seems particularly hard to beat
Is the same that others.
Maybe your deck are weak against this decks and you are unlucky to be the firts player all the times.

Gwent is not a battlefield, is a little amount of warriors (a simun bomb or a trap c´ant destroy complete troops, the boats is on the sea, not in a battlefield... inclusive you can play only heros and not regular soldiers... is not a battlefield).

Last edited:
... @BoYoDes The bonus XP is not retroactive, it will start after the Challenge is finished.
I am sorry, but I think you are doing it wrong. I think it will make way more sense to convert this event to only a week and thus not actually punish your player base to do the same thing for literally half a month. It will also indulge me to play more during that said week for that experience and for the rewards. Forcing me to expand that sameness for two weeks is REALLY tiresome. I want to enjoy the game, not to feel exhausted and punished by it.

This problem with these events has always been here and I can see you are still experimenting with the format and it is way better than it was, but in a way it is also worse (basically pretty much two weeks of the same instead of one).

I'm on a Gwent break atm due to all the unitless decks and the annoyance of having to play them so often now, but I might return for this event to use my Damavend deck. Not a good deck, just an engine that almost always breaks.

But what the heck, it might be fun. Need to update the deck with some shields perhaps.

The reason no one plays Harald, is because the engine units that synergise with him just suck. Like most engine units, because removal and locks are still far too prevelant.

People are not bashing Harald because he is a Skellige leader, but because of the presence of his unitless variation.
And you really don't see the flaw in this behaviour?

- There are various unit-less decks out there.
- Neither Harald nor Woodland Spirit are an issue. Gwent allowing to have a deck (almost) without units is the issue.
- You hopefully don't really think that, say, removing Harald from the game, would get rid of unitless decks?
- If there'd be just one leader in the whole game, people would still built unit-less decks.

Also, you did notice that Harald the Cripple belongs to the 3 least played leaders, while Woodland Spirit isn't? If it were not about your experiences, but the general gameplay, you'd bash Woodland. Don't get me wrong: I'm just the same, I can't stand engine decks, so will always complain about them.

But I'd never get the idea to bash Meve or Henselt.

Does the leader challenge take into account how many players play each leader? Otherwise there's not gonna be a lot of guessing to do to know who wins since I believe 9 games out of 10 I play are against Calveit. Not complaining, just wondering if the number of "points" is normalized to the number of players?

DRK3

Forum veteran
I've played a bit yesterday, and was quite disappointed.

Fortunately didnt have to face any unitless decks, but i saw lots of other Calveit players, except they were all using the usual midrange stuff, same soldiers, same Gold Viper Witchers, same Roach, Fringilla, Vivienne combo, that all other NG Leaders also use.

Its a shame, because NG offers a lot of different possibilities.
Personally, im using my "friendly Calveit", that its a Cahir/swarm deck with absolutely no damage or destruction to the opponent.

Now i see why nobody uses Cahir - its hard to pull off properly, and when you can actually get immune Cahir, most opponents immediately give up seeing they have no chance, or are total beginners, and its not satisfying to crush noobs without decent cards.

On a side note, only faced 2 Demavends, but they completely destroyed me, one with Kiyan, the other with a brilliant last play Foltest Pride. I thought i was gonna win, was 50pts ahead, and most of R3 he was just boosting with Vysogotta (and i had Yrden), but that Foltest Pride wiped my board except my immune Cahir.

Demavend players are probably the most strategic in Gwent.

- Neither Harald nor Woodland Spirit are an issue. Gwent allowing to have a deck (almost) without units is the issue.

Not really. How do you suggest someone play a unitless deck without the 5 or 7 scorch card that exist for unitless decks?

If there was only 2 scorch cards, unitless decks would be way less viable to play. Regular scorch and change epidemic into a gold card, remove the "new" 9 provision scorch card and change predatory dive condition.

Scorch cards for unitless decks is one of the biggest issues.

I've played a bit yesterday, and was quite disappointed.

Fortunately didnt have to face any unitless decks, but i saw lots of other Calveit players, except they were all using the usual midrange stuff, same soldiers, same Gold Viper Witchers, same Roach, Fringilla, Vivienne combo, that all other NG Leaders also use.

Its a shame, because NG offers a lot of different possibilities.
Personally, im using my "friendly Calveit", that its a Cahir/swarm deck with absolutely no damage or destruction to the opponent.

Now i see why nobody uses Cahir - its hard to pull off properly, and when you can actually get immune Cahir, most opponents immediately give up seeing they have no chance, or are total beginners, and its not satisfying to crush noobs without decent cards.

Midrange is the safest choice as NG, and you can't blame people for playing the most balanced decks. All other options are either weaks or greedy. NG swarm is good in mirrors but struggle against engines, thus you are much more dependant on the matchup.

Last night I've tested the Cahir+Yennefer combo, played with last say. It works but quite difficult to pull off. Positive win ratio, most of the time in mirrors, but it is greedy for sure. Zoltan+Vivienne is much more reliable I think.

On a side note, only faced 2 Demavends, but they completely destroyed me, one with Kiyan, the other with a brilliant last play Foltest Pride. I thought i was gonna win, was 50pts ahead, and most of R3 he was just boosting with Vysogotta (and i had Yrden), but that Foltest Pride wiped my board except my immune Cahir.

There is a reason why nobody plays Demavend. Try it and you'll see. You 'd better win R1, otherwise good luck while bleeding with a poor 3pt balista, finishing R3 with a one-charge Foltest pride.

There is a reason why nobody plays Demavend. Try it and you'll see. You 'd better win R1, otherwise good luck while bleeding with a poor 3pt balista, finishing R3 with a one-charge Foltest pride.
Same is true for Harald (played as a unit deck). Win R1 or face your loss. Which is why currently, at least in season mode, matches between Harald and Demavend are hilarious, both pushing to win R1 at all costs. :D

I'm on the final phase of Harald the Cripple, play 30 cards with bloodthirst. I just finished a seasonal match where I played Djenge Frett and Disgraced Brawler. Both cards proc'd the bloodthirst criteria. Djenge locked an enemy unit and the Brawler locked self, but only +1 to my card count in the quest status? Probably won't matter given how much I plan to play but I am pretty sure the counting tracker is shorting me?

I'm on the final phase of Harald the Cripple, play 30 cards with bloodthirst. I just finished a seasonal match where I played Djenge Frett and Disgraced Brawler. Both cards proc'd the bloodthirst criteria. Djenge locked an enemy unit and the Brawler locked self, but only +1 to my card count in the quest status? Probably won't matter given how much I plan to play but I am pretty sure the counting tracker is shorting me?

Definitely something screwy going on here. I just finished a non-ranked classic match. The whole point was to play a bloodthirst card, my last one. Disgraced brawler locked self. Yet still 29/30 after the match. Ha-ha what a tease.

@ChewSlowly
All I can say is that I made the quest without issue. I created a deck with all bloodthirst units I own, put them on the board, and 2 or 3 matches later had it done.
Maybe last round last turn units for no good reason don't count? Just do a bloodthirst deck and get it done :)

@ChewSlowly
All I can say is that I made the quest without issue. I created a deck with all bloodthirst units I own, put them on the board, and 2 or 3 matches later had it done.
Maybe last round last turn units for no good reason don't count? Just do a bloodthirst deck and get it done :)

Done! So all's well that ends in Rewards Points. I only had 3 bloodthirst units in my deck so I took me a bit longer (3 days compared to your 3 matches ha!) but I felt I was still playing to win more than just dump cards that meet criteria. Good thing too, because there is no question, I was keeping very careful track of the quest, writing down current count on scraps of paper before matches even, not every bloodthirst card was getting counted. The last one that did finally count was a Djenge Frett in a loosing round 3. Prior to that there were several cases were more than one bloodthirst card proc'd but I got plus zero or only plus one to the quest tally. I 'm posting this just in case anyone else encounters this and gets discouraged. Just keep playing, the count doesn't get ignored all the time, sooner or later enough of them get counted. Danged if I could ever get more than one to count per match though. If devs didn't have bigger fish to fry would be curious to see if they can confirm, digging into match history.

So guys, are you enjoying the event? How's your performance? Here's my current status:
status.jpg

I'm solely playing season mode for this event. My observation is that against Demavend my Harald deck wins 70% of the time, against Calveit it loses 75% of the time. Against leaders not part of the event, it's also more losses than wins, but I expected that. My deck is dependend on 2 cards in R3. If I get them on hand I win, if not I lose. And the chance is higher to not get them on hand (or just one).

Your experiences? Demavend players? Calveit players?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom