It’s the Underdog Leader Challenge!

+

To arms, all o' youse! New Leader Challenge is here, and this time you will be picking from three of the least played leaders in GWENT: King Demavend III (Northern Realms), Jan Calveit (Nilfgaard) and Harald the Cripple (Skellige). Who will win the battle of underdogs?

The Challenge will last until Wednesday, May 22nd 12 PM (noon) CEST. After the event:
  • all players will have a chance to stock up on the winning leader’s Faction Kegs in the Shop,
  • all players will receive bonus XP when playing as leaders participating in the Challenge in any game mode (+50/40/30% for the first/second/third place).

Now, look alive! It's raidin' time!

––––––––––––

How to participate?
  1. Log in to the game.
  2. Select the faction leader you wish to support via the Leader Challenge popup or the Quests tab:
    • King Demavend III for Northern Realms
    • Jan Calveit for Nilfgaard
    • Harald the Cripple for Skellige
  3. Play games* and complete special quests to earn rewards: Faction Kegs and Reward Points.
* Games played or won before committing to a specific faction will not count toward your challenge progress.
* Only games played in Seasonal and Classic modes will count toward you challenge progress – you will not be able to complete quests via friend challenges or in the Arena.

This is really, really great. I especially appreciate the xp-bonus for all the leaders.
Play with the leader you prefer/support and get rewarded.
This is a very good example of the CDPR following up on feedback from the community :)

rrc

Forum veteran
I would have loved it a lot more if the challenge was between the least used leaders from each faction. What am I going to do now? May be support my second favorite faction NR? Or go lore-wise and support NG? :think:

I just completed the first quest of the leader challenge (SK), but it did not advance the Pirate Captain contract (complete 25 quests while supporting Skellige during a challenge event). Is this a known bug?

I just completed the first quest of the leader challenge (SK), but it did not advance the Pirate Captain contract (complete 25 quests while supporting Skellige during a challenge event). Is this a known bug?

Same happened to me with Demavend. No Northern Realms faction challenge contract progression

DRK3

Forum veteran
It's nice to have a leader challenge that focus and makes players use the least popular leaders instead of the most popular.

Anyway, this is an easy pick for me, even though i love Skellige, Calveit is my favourite NG Leader, gotta go with him.

Haha when you realize you've been playing ranked and fighting to progress for the last couple of months with one of the less used leaders. Good thing is I already have my Demavend deck and I'll get some XP!
Post automatically merged:

I sincerely hope I am wrong about this, but given the many concerns about unitless/special decks lately, I can easily see a lot of unitless Harald decks in our future. Ugh! But thanks for the incentives, anyway.
And I agree with that, really frustrating...

Community: Please solve unitless decks
Devs: We are working on it
Community: Thanks
*few days later
Devs: Faction Challenge with Harald the Cripple

I know that he is here because of low play rate but you just indirectly promoted unitless Harald.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Thank you, Gwent developers, for making it. There was underdog challenge suggested months ago and it seems, you are really listening to community voices. I would prefer, if there would have been all 5 factions represented, but even this form is welcome. You are great. :)

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Community: Please solve unitless decks
Devs: We are working on it
Community: Thanks
*few days later
Devs: Faction Challenge with Harald the Cripple

I know that he is here because of low play rate but you just indirectly promoted unitless Harald.
I stand brave and still play my full of units Harald deck. Within the last 4 hours 15 wins/5 losses in season mode, so I can't complain.

Also, interestingly enough the unitless decks I face most in ranked are Woodland Spirit decks.

In general: I really wish, people would stop being so biased ("Oh Skellige is part of the challenge, let's immediately bash it").

I picked Harald...but I will never play a "unitless" deck with him. So if you see me as your opponent you don't need to forfeit, my deck is beatable (first match against Calveit: 3rd round - Cantarella pulled my Dagur - insta forfeit :) )

Anyone else has encountered a bug with Demavend where you cannot do anything but just throw cards on the table? No order, no discard. I had a dimeritium bomb without artifact on board that I could neither use (so it discards automatically) nor throw away. Second time it happens to me in 2 days.
I have reported it to the support team but was just wondering if I was the only one. It might not be super convenient for the challenge XD
Post automatically merged:

PS: it's a problem with the dimeritium bomb when it doesn't have target it seems

Last edited:
The "unitless" decks are potencially beatables...
The Harald variant with Summoning Circle seems particularly hard to beat, though. I have yet to beat that...and indeed, much as I feared, I have already faced two such decks. I get so upset about all I can do is purposely rope them, while still discarding before the rope burns so that I don't get suspected of taking advantage of any bugs that I've heard about relating to that. Incredibly frustrating and, I believe, against the basic premise of Gwent being a battlefield. ("Hey...let's win this battle with one soldier and just let weather, bombs, and spells take care of the rest!")

Top Bottom