I've been playing a trap deck the last few days just for the lols

+
The new cards are so powerful that my old homemade decks are almost useless now, so I decided to have a bit of fun and created a new deck with every single trap available.

My winrate still sucks, it's very difficult to pilot a deck with 0 tempo but the few times I win feel really satisfying.

Most players forget about the boosting trap or don't know its mechanics and pass their turn believing they have won the match :ROFLMAO:

I guess my opponents might not like very much the fact that I sometimes play like 4 or 5 traps in a row, but as a meme deck is fun.

Did you ever play a trap deck? Were you able to you make it work in the long run?

I really wanted to try a Trap deck when I first made my account a few months ago, but it just doesn't look even remotely viable. Traps seem rather high risk, low reward. At this point, the archetype will likely need a complete overhaul. For starters, I would want the damage dealing Traps to negate a newly summoned Unit's Deploy abilities if it ends up killing the Unit because as it stands now, "Explosive Trap" is a significantly worse version of "Alzur's Thunder", which is itself a strictly worse version of the Faction-specific damaging Specials (e.g. "Nature's Rebuke"). They also need to disallow Artifact removal cards like "Bomb Heaver" from targeting face-down Trap cards. Opponents can already play around a newly placed Trap card by carefully choosing their next card or else by immediately passing, but even more important, face-down cards don't appear to have a card type, so an effect that specifically destroys an Artifact should not be able to target a face-down card; this will be unbelievably important once they finally make a Unit with the Ambush keyword.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens in the future. It's certainly possible that they'll make Traps viable, but I'm not overly optimistic. Even if nothing changes, I'll probably still try out a Trap deck once I have a better collection; I'm just not willing to waste scraps on cards that I know aren't playable.

I run a trap deck mainly for when there‘s a „Play X artifacts“ daily quest or so. Its a trap-dwarf hybrid, and probably has about a 50-60% winrate (though I rarely play it on ranked). It‘s a little draw dependent, but the dwarfs can put a lot of points on the board, so if you play your traps smartly you can keep your opponent‘s points low and sometimes win by a small margin. Its also important to remember that you can manually spring a few of the traps, that can sometimes make the difference in a close match. Springing the boosting trap, and then replaying it with Iorveth can make for an unexpected finishing play :cool:
I agree, its a fun deck to play, even though its probably frustrating for the opponent, as its a low-unit deck

That reminds me, didn’t they promise more traps in this expansion during the first video. It seems kinda silly that the aren’t even enough traps to fill the non unit slots in a deck.

I used to make full on trap deck's to complete the weekly quest which requested of you to play X number of artifacts.
With the sexy artifact for accurate weather forecasting, a ton of traps, a lil bit of poison and some moving cards combined with the move-dmg/boost ability.
Using move units to break the opponent's strategy, b!tch slapping them enemies back and forth the lanes and feeding poison to the annoying ones. All and all a prety fun and trolly way to bust you opponent's balls ! :beer::giveup:

I enjoy and play trap deck for a longer time now. Had many variants of it and in the end I managed to enter pro rank with it. Then changed it again😬 Mahakam horn is by far my favourite card, puts nice surprise since a lot of players seem to forget about it.

I will agree that traps need some more love. In general that surprise effect from a card can leave you with a warm feeling. I.e. pitfall trap obliterating NF units after Ball is played🤗

Easha

Forum regular
As long as the correct answer to every trap is playing a low-cost and low-power unit, the whole surprise and guessing aspect is instantly voided. I rather have a trap with less damage and a Deathblow effect to punish this standard counter measure.

As long as the correct answer to every trap is playing a low-cost and low-power unit, the whole surprise and guessing aspect is instantly voided. I rather have a trap with less damage and a Deathblow effect to punish this standard counter measure.

It's not always like that. Some traps are only activated when one particular condition is met.

Top Bottom