I've lost 3 weeks of playtime saves when my PC caught fire.

+
I've lost 3 weeks of playtime saves when my PC caught fire.

So I'm like.. have a hard time being captured by the game because I've done this things before..

I got to play thru swamps, the lady, some quests here and there, the baron..
Then I got to Novigrad and this is where I felt overwhelmed and if only I was there again, I believe I could fall in love again!

Just the starting place, swamps, all of that.. so much content I must go thru that feels bit off since done it before few times.

But now today, no save. Awful awful feelings.

So my question is, when I reach Novigrad and the part where that red haired woman leaves Novigrad.. after that part..

Is there a lot of content left for me and stories to explore? I have never been to Skaligard, ever.

Just wonder if I lost my save at the end of main story... or not - without spoiling it for me!

So I'm like.. have a hard time being captured by the game because I've done this things before..

Then I got to Novigrad and this is where I felt overwhelmed and if only I was there again, I believe I could fall in love again!

Just the starting place, swamps, all of that.. so much content I must go thru that feels bit off since done it before few times.

So my question is, when I reach Novigrad and the part where that red haired woman leaves Novigrad.. after that part..

Is there a lot of content left for me and stories to explore? I have never been to Skaligard, ever.

Just wonder if I lost my save at the end of main story... or not - without spoiling it for me!

Not sure what @BennyFischer is talking about. Perhaps he's being sarcastic? In any case, yes, there is a ton of content to complete after finishing the Velen and Novigrad story arcs. If you haven't completed Skellige, that means you are still in act one, and there are three acts.

Grammar is everything. There's a very important comma in his reply.
"Definitely not, much content left." =/= "Definitely not much content left" :)

My mistake. Apologies@BennyFischer

In my defense, it is 7:43 in the morning here, and I am still nurturing my first cup of coffee
:sleepy:

Let me guess, cheap PSU?

I'm at about the same place. I've done a few things here and there after arriving in novingrad, but it was mostly side-quests and contracts. I'm level 11. Do you want me to give you my save?
I'd also be pretty bummed, had i lost it.

Last edited:
@May17th (that's the date I met my wife for the first time back in 1993! lol)
There are so much content left for you to discover and play that it is hard to put a number to it. Perhaps 20-25% as Dragonbird mentioned but perhaps you've done even less. And it is impossible, in my opinion, to discover all that the game has to offer in just one playthrough. As to the repetition, you can always try different approaches and follow different routes, may be in future playthroughs. You'd be surprised how it can change a lot of details in the game and also how many new stuff (non marked quests, treasure, etc.) you might find.

There is the NG+ for you to go with your Geralt when you finish the normal game. Don't miss the chance to do it.

Small example since you already passed this event
Meeting the Baron's Thugs for the first time at the Inn. How you deal with it determines how easy you will reach the Baron. But on a smaller note, the hard way (killing the bastards) will also make the thugs have a much more respectful comment about Witchers later on. And also cause some more attrition with the thugs in other parts of the quest and subquests. Or you can just buy them a drink and they'll be your buddies but still comment about witchers with despise.

I have posted a save file in another thread, it is just at the beginning of the quest Now or Never in Novigrad, which is about where you were.

There is still a lot more ahead! Get a new PC or fix what's left of it and get back in there :)

I'm more interested to know how a PC catches fire.

It's happened before to people a few times. It's pretty rare as there are usually safeguards set in place so if something gets dangerously hot the computer will just cut the power off. But there have been for example driver updates from Nvidia that have caused cards to catch fire back in the Fermi days. If I recall correctly it had to do with those cards running naturally very hot and then the fans not working after the update. But like I said, there's usually a threshold where the computer will shut itself down if the GPU or CPU reach a certain temperature, usually around 105C.

You can also cause Power Supplies to blow out if you stress them too much. Happened to me once before, but luckily mine just exploded, there was no fire and it didn't take anything out with it. My GPU at the time was too power hungry for it and I was pushing it to it's limits in a game.. That can cause a fire, I was lucky it did not.

But yeah, electricity, electrical fires, it can happen. Power supplies are usually the culprit. Bad ones supplying dirty power. It's always best to not cheap out on that part for your PC and get a good quality one so you don't have to worry about that.

Man feel your pain OP. With Skyrim after an easily 100 of game time sunk into it. A game breaking bug just brought me to a complete halt. I tried a different play through with different choices made and different character builds ,but I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe it was the depression of losing everything or that I am not a big fan of multiple play throughs. But luckily for me they fixed the bug after about 6 months later and I was back at it. Sounds like you might not be to far into the game and might be able to easily recoup the lost time

Bah the question always backup saves i've lost 4months of playtime saves when my pc stolen and i've started a new game again.

nVidia was fielding drivers that overvoltaged the card to stabilize DirectX 11 functions. This conflicted with some OCs (both factory and aftermarket) that had an overvoltage component, pushing the cards beyond maximum safe voltage. I don't think any cards actually caught fire, though some failed. Fires, as mentioned by @jamiehavok, are usually started by defective power supplies. These are extremely numerous, in both the commercial PC and the aftermarket trade.

Top Bottom