Jackie Welles - Night City's Golden Boy ❤

+
He's in hospital but has no insurance. That's the main plot, V has to rise up and gain fame as a mercenary in order to pay Jackie's medical bills. He lives I tell you!

Ahh yes!
I watched an interview with Mike Pondsmith and he had this to say:

Reassures me that Jackie's death is avoidable :oops:but what if different lifepaths change the fate of certain characters?

I'm starting to think that Jackie dying is like, a common outcome. And you might have to work hard to find the specific set of circumstances and choices in order to avoid it.

If CP2077 was a movie, then chances of him dying would be like, 99%. He is being set up according to every rule in drama. But since this is an extremely deep RPG which places much emphasis on player choice, it might not be as set in stone.

Getting some serious Re:Zero vibes here :) Keep restarting until we find the correct steps to save him :D

He's in hospital but has no insurance. That's the main plot, V has to rise up and gain fame as a mercenary in order to pay Jackie's medical bills. He lives I tell you!
There's a sidequest to go out and get Jackie his favourite food because he hates the hospital kibble :ROFLMAO:

Mission objective: Feed Jackie

Once you're back, you have to feel him the "chicken" soup/ramen and follow the quick time event perfectly or else you spill hot soup on Jackie's chest!! :eek:

That's basically Sarah's story in the book Hardwired.
A corp attack left her brother crippled and she's doing a shit job to pay the bill...
Could make a nice side quest.

Last edited:
I need to go back and look at the footage but I think the dudes that punch V and Jackie on the dancefloor are Goldhand's goons
Ahh yes!
I watched an interview with Mike Pondsmith and he had this to say:

Reassures me that Jackie's death is avoidable :oops:but what if different lifepaths change the fate of certain characters?
Getting some serious Re:Zero vibes here :) Keep restarting until we find the correct steps to save him :D
There's a sidequest to go out and get Jackie his favourite food because he hates the hospital kibble :ROFLMAO:

Mission objective: Feed Jackie

Once you're back, you have to feel him the "chicken" soup/ramen and follow the quick time event perfectly or else you spill hot soup on Jackie's chest!! :eek:
That's basically Sarah's story in the book Hardwired.
A corp attack left his brother crippled and she's doing a shit job to pay the bill...
Could make a nice side quest.
These ideas are extremely interesting. So maybe there are some paths where Jackie dies, Some paths where he lives and he's 100% fine and stays in Night City, Some paths were he survives and leaves Night City with his mom, Some paths where he survives and is injured and has quick recovery, Some paths where he survives but he gets VERY injured and has a very slow but eventual recovery with V's help, and Some paths where he survives, gets very injured, but then dies from injuries later on. OR MAYBE, some paths where he's in the hospital and the bad guys kill him in the hospital. I have seen lots of movies and played lots of games. So maybe there's a huge amount of different complicated ways that things could happen and in different orders? I hope that we can save Jackie and fight hard to create the best possible outcome if we try hard enough.

I hope that we can save Jackie and fight hard to create the best possible outcome if we try hard enough.

I hope so too. Your character in Deus Ex (2000) had a brother who I thought had to be killed. It was only on a second playthrough that I realised you could save him and then there were a couple of extra bits in the game because of it.

There were several scenes like that in the game. At the time, it felt revolutionary.

I'm sure, this many years on and with CDPR's dedication to the varied 'tree-branching' storylines, there might well be a way to save Jackie.

I've also felt that if Jackie getting killed was unavoidable and supposed to be an emotional moment, then CDPR wouldn't have spoiled it. Just a guess, of course!

I hope so too. Your character in Deus Ex (2000) had a brother who I thought had to be killed. It was only on a second playthrough that I realised you could save him and then there were a couple of extra bits in the game because of it.

There were several scenes like that in the game. At the time, it felt revolutionary.

I'm sure, this many years on and with CDPR's dedication to the varied 'tree-branching' storylines, there might well be a way to save Jackie.

I've also felt that if Jackie getting killed was unavoidable and supposed to be an emotional moment, then CDPR wouldn't have spoiled it. Just a guess, of course!
Those are awesome excellent points. I kind of hope that lots of parts of the game are like that, and with smart enough thinking maybe lots of things can be changed that normally seem like they are unchangeable in other games, but are possible to change in Cyberpunk2077 where it is not expected. That would be very exciting. I feel like the possibility for that is strong.

So I found something else that suggests Jackie's death is avoidable. A little snippet from the CP2077 collector's edition.
1603022391946.png

I am not keen on the 'sidekick' / partner concept and would much rather play alone as in Deus Ex or others and just do as I please; the less scripted game the better. It's a bit like the problem in Bioshock when you have to keep the Little Sisters alive, or having followers in Skyrim; it's a distraction and my real excitement is in games where the lack of partner script means you have to really pit yourself against the environment...that said, will make the best of it...

They're just like coworkers, you'll have to team with people for some jobs, but beyond that they'll mind their own business.

So I found something else that suggests Jackie's death is avoidable. A little snippet from the CP2077 collector's edition.View attachment 11063660

Nothing in that indicates they're referring to Jackie. That statement would still hold true if Jackie's death was unavoidable, but later decisions affected whether certain important NPCs survived.

I like what we've seen of Jackie so far & would choose to save him if that were an option, but there are so many red flags hinting at him not making it.

Besides the trailer where see him die, you meet his mother, Jackie is part of the dialogue where it is explained that in order to get a drink named after you in the Afterlife you have to have to die during a job, it is later shown that he has a drink named after him, there is either art or a screenshot featuring graffiti memorializing Jackie, he has dialogue indicating his mother is worried about him (including Jackie promising her that he'll be fine), and you see Mistie giving V a memento of some kind.

There's way too much foreshadowing for Jackie to be anything but an unavoidable casualty. My guess is that his death is used to establish the harshness of the game world and the stakes for V, to give the player a palpable sense of danger and loss early on, and to pave the way for Johnny. Johnny likely enters the picture right as Jackie exits.

Nothing in that indicates they're referring to Jackie. That statement would still hold true if Jackie's death was unavoidable, but later decisions affected whether certain important NPCs survived.

I like what we've seen of Jackie so far & would choose to save him if that were an option, but there are so many red flags hinting at him not making it.

Besides the trailer where see him die, you meet his mother, Jackie is part of the dialogue where it is explained that in order to get a drink named after you in the Afterlife you have to have to die during a job, it is later shown that he has a drink named after him, there is either art or a screenshot featuring graffiti memorializing Jackie, he has dialogue indicating his mother is worried about him (including Jackie promising her that he'll be fine), and you see Mistie giving V a memento of some kind.

There's way too much foreshadowing for Jackie to be anything but an unavoidable casualty. My guess is that his death is used to establish the harshness of the game world and the stakes for V, to give the player a palpable sense of danger and loss early on, and to pave the way for Johnny. Johnny likely enters the picture right as Jackie exits.
It's too on the nose. I don't think they would spoil an unavoidable event in a trailer... That would be like showing a certain someone's death from TW3 in a cgi trailer before the game released. They WANT us to believe he can't be saved, but I'll save him :cry: where is it shown he has a drink named after him?

I agree that it did seem like a tribute to Jackie, in the last NCW. Really caught me off guard. The tone kinda felt like it fit the world, and wasn't overly sentimental or saccharine. It also seemed like a confirmation, for me, because they did other stuff like: show V's lower body, more footage of driving, a peek at character creator, showed an attractive guy, etc - stuff people had been discussing, idk. I think I'd rather know a guy like Jackie is going to die beforehand. Maybe it's not spoiled it if it's inevitable and a key element to how things play out. And it did make an epic trailer before we knew more of Jackie. He may play into the story a lot more despite his death, through his earlier connections, or deeds. Can't wait to play and find out.

Top Bottom