Jan Calveit wins the Underdog Leader Challenge!

+

Check out your rewards!

What other challenges would you like to see in GWENT?

OK....I'll say it. Has the Gwent Team given consideration to perhaps making these challengers only for Casual mode? For folks wishing to try to gain rank, it can be frustrating--to say the least--to get hit by a barrage of the leaders currently in the challenge, not the least of which were the unitless Harald decks that I got to experience multiple times during the challenge. I realize that CDPR is trying to make ranked more fun to play by not having people lose ranking during a season, but these challenges can nevertheless result in a bit of leader-specific overload during a season. This is not meant to sound overly negative--because certainly any free loots that results are very much appreciated--but just my 2 cents, as they say here in America. (Currently $0.017 euros for our European friends.)

First of all, thank you for underdog challenge, I really appreciate what you did with it.

Now to your question, I would like to give idea for a bit more meaningful competition, where not just number of faction supporters matters... (I have feeling, that so far all faction challenges were decided by number of supporters, rather than performance in duels.) That is very delicate matter, which does not have simple solution and could be sensitive to keep balanced, but I will risk it and try.

Phase 1) My suggestion is to have one week long "registration" before actual faction challenge happens. During that one week, all players could "register" for following faction challenge and when challenge itself will start after one week, there will be no more new participants accepted. "Registration will consist of player announcing his interest to participate and making preference list for which faction he would like to participate. Let me make an example. 1 - Scoia'tael, 2 - Monsters, 3 - Northern Realms, 4 - Nilfgaard, 5 - Skellige

Phase 2) After one week, "registration" will be closed and challenge will happen. Total number of all interested participants will be divided by 5 and resulting number will be increased by 1 to get limited number of spots reserved for each faction. Then players will be assigned to support factions according to their preferences with model "first come, first served". If reserved number of spots for faction has still free places, player will be assaigned to their 1st prefered faction, if not, repeat step check for his 2nd prefered faction, etc.

Phase 2.5) Kegs of winning faction will appear in shop same way like it is now, however increased XP will not be granted after challenge. Increased XP will be granted to every player participating in faction challenge during its duration, regardless of which faction they support. In other words, if you participate in challenge, every challenge duel for supported faction will grant you extra XP. EDIT: Immediate extra XP will also function as kind of motivation to play challenge matches even if player will not be assigned to his the most prefered faction (because of limited number of spots). In general, I think, this model would mean more intense faction challenge experience and it would be more beneficial to play challenge duels even with not the most prefered faction, rather than play non-challenge duels with the most prefered faction.

Reasoning
I see 2 problems with current format of faction challenges, which I personally find rather hurting than helping. I try to address those 2 problems with my idea. Those problems are:
- Faction challenges do not feel like being decied by performance rather than by number of participants.
- Faction challenges affect season way too much by having 1 week faction challenge and 1 reward week extra XP. That means, player is "bound" to play certain faction for almost half of season, which I personally find to be too much limiting.

Last edited:
OK....I'll say it. Has the Gwent Team given consideration to perhaps making these challengers only for Casual mode?

Playing against the same leaders, especially in this challenge where they were all bad makes it much easier to tech against the meta and rank up faster. It also makes the season seem shorter as the meta shifts mid-season from these challenges and then shifts back.

I still would love to see a time where you create a constructed casual mode, where we can build a deck using any card from any faction, I would love to see players have the ability to create their ultimate Gwent deck for fun.

A series of mini puzzles would be nice. Like "Play 4 cards in one turn" or "Play the same gold card 3 times in a match".
I realize this kind of challenge would require much more work and planning than the challenges so far, but it still would be nice. :) Wouldn't be very newbie-friendly, though.

A leader challenge: pick Adda, Arnjolf or Arachas Queen.

Since NG include two leaders starting on A, I omitted both of them.

An intra-faction challenge? And like that you'll have it for the next 5 months XD
Post automatically merged:

Could we know who are #2 and #3 in this challenge please?
It's probably said in the game but I'm curious

-Category challenges (elf, dwarf, human, beast, etc...) ¿whit 13 o more cards of the chosen type in the deck?
-Unused cards of each faction (Needs to play the most unused card of the chosen faction. If is only in the deck, but not used, not counts for point)
-Unused gold cards (including neutral)
-Unused artifacts (including neutral)

How about something along the lines of a Scoia'tael Mahakam challenge, wherein players must include as many Dwarven units in their decks as possible, with a minimum of elves and dryads? I'd be curious to see how that might play out.

Civil war! Maybe you could try this with NR or NG - players choose a leader and play only against other decks of the same faction. This would have to use a separate matchmaking lobby of course, like seasonal mode, but as others have pointed out, it may be healthy to split these challenges off from Ranked. I don't know how much work it is to run these challenges, but could they be done more often? Perhaps weekly?

I've personally been taking a break from Gwent. Partly for my own reasons, but also because I just wasn't having fun playing against certain kinds of decks over and over, I am waiting for the next expansion. If there was a new mode, or if these challenges were a little more interesting and frequent, I would come back. That said, I do think the game is getting better with each update, and I look forward to more variety. I'm sure I'll get the Gwent bug again!

I am particularly looking forward to the board changes. If there's one thing I could ask for, it would be to simply let me zoom out from the cards a little bit. I don't know if I'm in the minority on that.

I do like the leader challenge, specially this underdog one.

I like the idea of playing different leaders - and the additional quests and reward points - but I think the extra week of +50% xp should be granted to everyone that participated or everyone with at least 5 points, regardless of the leader being played - the challenge is over after all.

The bonus could also scale, +10% for each point to a maximum of +50%

Having two weeks of the same leaders can feel a bit repetitive.

rrc

Forum veteran
Dear @Dominika, is it possible to show the current gathered points for each leader in the Leader Challenge screen? In all the Faction/Leader challenges, the ranking of the faction/leader never changed from day 1 till the challenge ends. Provided these challenges all had some bugs in counting, I think it would be healthy if we the players can see the number of points gathered. Keeping everything in the backend and simply saying the result (which remains the same from day 1) sometimes frustrates the players. "Was my points even counted?" is a question that occurred to me many times and I am sure it could be a worry for many players too, provided how passionate the players are about the faction they love and want to support.

Transparency of the current gathered points (with a disclaimer that, points gathered will be reflected eventually and not immediately) will make the players feel good about their contribution to the Faction/Leader challenges.

Top Bottom