Japanese anime & manga

+
Never watcher anime before recently. Then one of ours (from this forum) recommended me Naoki Urasawa's Monster. Love it, great series.

I've watched it off and on. Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop coming on adult swim got me into anime a little. Then my friend starting last year has been doing his best to get me into it.

Recently been watching Attack on Titan and Watamote(strange, so strange). And another having to do with civil servants, the name escapes me.

But other anime I've really liked are:

Maoyu
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Code Geass
Afro Samurai
Naruto(off and on with some skipping) currently watching again

Gunslinger girl - to this day perhaps my favorite
Ghost in the Shell - the original movie
Samurai Champloo
Haibane Renmei
Monster
Read or Die
Tokyo Godfathers
Millennium Actress

Medy89 said:
I know all those... I love berserk... its my favourite manga.... but never heard of Bastard o_O ... ill check it out...
Bastard!! used to have wuite a story, now it has no more but on the other hand, the author drawing skills have increased or 10 000 I think ^^

Speaking of the manga, not the anime series

Still my fave remains Battle Angel Alita, in manga universe. As for anime, too many and I seriously need another series to follow and watch (having seen recentely all the episodes of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show and Adventure Time).

Another good anime (aka meant to be watch) for those who liked Code Geass, is definitely Death Note. I think it's one of the latest best anime of these recent years.

And in case you like cyberpunk.... Ergo Proxy ^^

Secondchildren arent you forgetting an anime? maybe one were you took your name from? ;) Evangelion has always been the anime that has most affected my life. i loved the Battle Angel manga atleast until LO when it became no more than a shounen battle manga. if anyone like historic shows with lots of action read vinland saga and historie, and kingdoms Im a big fan of the toaru index and railgun manga and LN. I also like a fair amount of moe anime like yotsubato, hinamatsuri, sora no woto, etc. right noww im watching Railgun S2, love lab, attack of the titans, kamisama inachi nichiyoubi,

OP: I dislike animes/manga. I hear there are some really good shows but... have yet to see those. Just not my thing I guess. I also don't enjoy jRPGs, to widen the scope of the discussion. Main reason for that is the extremely cliche and over-the-top characters - especially if it's children going on an epic quest, which just kinda has me going: 'What the actual fuck?!', the combat system which I absolutely detest and the lack of choices you get to make in the story. I'm sure those are not true for *all* jRPGs but it's what most of them are like.

arkblazer said:
Secondchildren arent you forgetting an anime? maybe one were you took your name from? ;)/>/> Evangelion has always been the anime that has most affected my life. i loved the Battle Angel manga atleast until LO when it became no more than a shounen battle manga. if anyone like historic shows with lots of action read vinland saga and historie, and kingdoms Im a big fan of the toaru index and railgun manga and LN. I also like a fair amount of moe anime like yotsubato, hinamatsuri, sora no woto, etc. right noww im watching Railgun S2, love lab, attack of the titans, kamisama inachi nichiyoubi,
Not forgetting, but I thought NGE was pretty popular among anime\manga fans :-D Good call reminding anyway.
I also enjoyed High School of the Dead series. Zombies+fan service lol

@ReptileZ

Anime\manga universe is full of crap like any other media. You have to choose carefully what to watch. Maybe Pokemon is not a show that you would enjoy (I did, I admit, I admit ù.ù ) but try one of those I listed above, you may find something interesting.

If you wish to start with one good manga, I suggest Bersek. Coz it's pure horror and dark medieval fantasy setting. Violence, gore, full amount of cruelty and blood... you know more or less like Roche path ;>

I simply love them. I cannot even decide which is my most favorite hobby out of those two; gaming, or watching anime/reading manga. Many people erroneously believe that those are for little kids, or a colorful waste of time. There are so many themes, types and categories, that ANYONE could find something to like, draw their attention or make them love this stuff, or even reverse already negative opinions. Their greatest enemy, as with many other things/hobbies/people/situations, is preoccupation. Many people scorn and damn them, without even knowing or caring to see, what the hell they even are about.

I have read and watched many. A lot of titles have made good impression and caused lasting fondness to me. The only things i hate, though, are short anime series that are being cut off prematurely while the manga continues running still, censorship, endless fillers and huge differences between the manga and the anime. By some people, animation is considered to be an art, much like drawing. I am not very culturally refined, i admit, but i always have an eye for good quality stuff.

I cannot help but to list all my favorite projects. Each one is unique for different reasons. And they cover many themes, types, genres and tastes. Will try to categorize them, though.

1) (Action, friendship, nice effects, overpowered characters, abstract similarities) Dragonball, Naruto, Fairy Tail.
2) (Science fiction, alternative future/past) Neon Genesis Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist (+ Brotherhood), Gintama, Psycho Pass, Gurren Lagann.
3) (Tragic, dark, sad) Death Note, Elfen Lied, Vampire Hunter D.
4) (Battle, nightmarish world, despair) Berserk, Claymore, Fate Zero, Fate Stay Night.
5) (Horror, psychological, survival) Higurashi no naku koro ni, Umineko no naku koro ni, Shiki.
6) (Mix of legends, fairy tales, paranormal, fantasy, afterlife etc) Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Scrapped Princess, Rozen Maiden, Inuyasha, Angel Beats, Ao no Exorcist, D.Grayman, Witch Hunter, Tower of God, Mirai Nikki.
7) (Detective, assassin, investigation) The Phantom of Inferno, Black Cat, Darker than Black, Gossick!, The Daughter of twenty faces.
:cool:/> (Romance, slice of life, cute story, tenderness) Boku Wa Imouro Ni Koi Wo Suru, Kodomo No Jinkan, The world God only knows, Ore No Imouto, L-DK, Sojou no koi wa Nido Haneru, Tora Dora, Mashiro Iro Symphony: Love is Pure White, Chobits, Dragon Crisis, Akuma to Song, Kiss x Sis, Minamoto kun Monogatari.
9) (Fantasy, romance, violence, twisted world) Dance in the Vampire Bund, Ayashi no Ceres, Angel Sanctuary, Kamisama Dolls, Zero no Tsukaima, Zero no Tsukaima Chevalier, Kamisama Kiss, Hayate Battler Combat, A dark rabbit has seven lives, Omamori Himari, Shinigami Hime no Saikon, Soujyuu no Lapis Lazuli, Dakara Boku Wa.
10 (Games, fantasy, darker manga/softer anime, censored heavily, modified to appeal more to children) YuGi OH, Pokemon.

I must have surely forgotten some, especially harem and ecchi (though this was intentional), but i have gone through so many over the last many years, that i simply can no longer keep accurate track. Also i do not like vampire themed ones (maybe except for Dance in the Vampire Bund and Vampire Hunter D), so i did not list any; still, many fans claim that Hellsing and some others are a great read or watch, but i intentionally omitted them, both from going through them and listing them here.

I cannot decide which ones are my favorites, all these i enjoyed a lot. Finally, there are some Korean mangas that are noticeably great. I suggest Noblesse and City of the Dead Sorcerer.

I'm put off by the aesthetic and conventions of anime. Like Harlequin type novels, it has a certain look and feel that makes my stomach turn. I did watch Grave of the Fireflies and sniffled a bit, but even if all of them were as good as that one, I couldn't make it a habit. Then there's the weird fetish stuff, yiccchhh.

Veleda said:
I'm put off by the aesthetic and conventions of anime. Like Harlequin type novels, it has a certain look and feel that makes my stomach turn. I did watch Grave of the Fireflies and sniffled a bit, but even if all of them were as good as that one, I couldn't make it a habit. Then there's the weird fetish stuff, yiccchhh.

yup it's bad but some are good. I always tell people who are new to anime to watch Ghost in the Shell(The 1995 HD english version not the 2.0 version). You will definitely like that one.

Veleda said:
So... anyone saw the recent Attack on Titan episode?

It's being quite the story arc. o_O

Anime has too much internal monologing and I don't like the character designs so I normally skip eps.

also watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ucrvr0Drlg

secondchildren said:
@mariobros777

Regarding Horror: have you ever seen Jigoku Shoujo? The first season is pretty dark and creepy.

Thanks for your suggestion! I am so going to watch it. Always in the lookout for interesting new series... *hugs*

Well, some stuff I like:

- Evangelion (bit of a fanatic, have a whole shelf dedicated to it)
- Most anything directed by Satoshi Kon (RIP)
- Also most anything by Mamoru Oshii
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Texhnolyze

Hmm, so far lots of heavy atmosphere and mindscrew... So:

- Haibane Renmei - "If you think you might like a series about nice folks in which nothing blows up, then this may be the thing for you." - quote from a review :) Also, the music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxY0ALI7izo

- and of course: Cowboy Bebop (if there's one anime you watch in your life, make it this!)

Well...I've read only 3 manga in my life...

-Hokuto no Ken
-Souten no Ken
-Berserk

I've discovered the last one only recently and I like it very much! I've just finished reading "The Golden Age" Arc :)

Lol so there is a thread about anime ... wonder why mine got deleted without notice ?
Well anyway I made vids[Top 15 short series / Top 10 long series] of my fav anime check them out maybe u dont know some titles ;)/>/>/>/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2F7TjepL7k&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLRje91Uz2AlI6FikZ-rcBGaOHDEU8wQWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqwi85uDvQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLRje91Uz2AlI6FikZ-rcBGaOHDEU8wQWM

guipit said:
yup it's bad but some are good. I always tell people who are new to anime to watch Ghost in the Shell(The 1995 HD english version not the 2.0 version). You will definitely like that one.

Well I wouldnt recommend such a old anime for beginners ... I would pick a new one fitting the genre the viewer prefers...

Veleda said:

I didnt saw grave of the fireflies ... if I remeber correctly its a movie not a series... im not really into those .. but I think princess mononoke is fitting as a recommendation... maybe there are some series you could get into but its hard if you dont know much about what the person likes

sry fry double post...;(

Top Bottom