Japanese anime & manga

+
GibbGeralt said:
The only Anime that ever kept me interested was Elfen Lied. It had some of the major presentation qualms i've always had with anime (pervy fanservice, weird facial expressions etc.) but the concept of the story was terrific, and the themes were really deep. The theme song was fucking hauntingly beautiful aswell.

I've tried getting into a few that i can't remember the names of, and they bored me to tears. The only one i remember was Deathnote, which had an interesting concept, but soon lost me as soon as they turned the protagonist into a mustache twirling, sociopathic hypocrite within the first few episodes. The maniacal laughter got so old; i'd expect to see such a character as an Evil Wizard in a 90's D&D game.

Yeah, i haven't had the best experience with anime. But i don't regret watching Elfen Lied, i thoroughly enjoyed that one.

it sounds like you did not find anime with interisting story ... then you found death note but dropped it ? Well thats kinda hard to come by .. but you might check out my anime top vids[posted here] ... since my first priority for anime I watch are story&characters (which exclude perv stuff] no real focus on romance ....
Action/SciFi/Fantasy/Comedy

Everyone here should watch the Berserk movie Trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwfT_Wh1A1Y

Kodaemon said:
- Also most anything by Mamoru Oshii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6M9cMdq8MA

Polish and Japanese working together!

guipit said:
Polish and Japanese working together!

Check out the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra :)

The Philharmonic has recorded music for several anime series. Notable shows include Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Cowboy Bebop, Soukyuu no Fafner, Giant Robo: The Animation, Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, Princess Nine, Vision of Escaflowne, Wolf's Rain, Hellsing Ultimate, Genesis of Aquarion., and more recently, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It has also recorded music for Namco's Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, and together with the Hollywood Session Orchestra, for the SEGA action-RPG Phantasy Star Universe. The orchestra was involved in a major performance for the film Avalon, composed by Kenji Kawai, and part of a performance is shown in the film. Most recently, they have recorded music for the Square Enix role-playing video game Final Fantasy XIII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Philharmonic_Orchestra

Veleda said:
I'm put off by the aesthetic and conventions of anime. Like Harlequin type novels, it has a certain look and feel that makes my stomach turn. I did watch Grave of the Fireflies and sniffled a bit, but even if all of them were as good as that one, I couldn't make it a habit. Then there's the weird fetish stuff, yiccchhh.

If all you did was sniffle at Grave of the Fireflies...holy hell. Try Gunslinger Girl, the whole thing. Then sniffle. Try Read or Die for light hearted fare, or I bet you may be more attuned to Haibane Renmei. Or maybe Millennium actress.

really should read this, I'm hoping for a live action movie instead :'c

Im not much into manga/anime. But i really enjoyed Berserk.

And also a manga about the Romans invading Syracuse.

Is there anyone here who's into japanese mangas? If there is, I just wanted to recommend a title called "Shigurui".

If you liked The Witcher's morally depraved world, where every character you meet is twisted and has their own point of view, you might like this one. It's totally not for kids, since there are lots of gore, extreme violence, nudity, and the story and all the characters are twisted in every sense (even the one who you might think are one of the good ones, they possibly aren't). If you like japanese cultures and history, it's a plus, and you should love this title.

Too bad, there's no physical copy translated to english, so I ended up imported one of the original japanese. So, if you're interested, just google it, and read it online. If you wanted to support the author, I suggest buying the whole 15 series (which you won't understand if you can't read japanese, though. And it's not just standard japanese, I suppose. There are lots of cultural contents contained in this book).

Just wanted to share this with the people here. Cos I've been thinking a while back, and when I finished TW2, I had the impression like I'm in the middle of Shigurui's characters, and it's a very difficult choice if I have to take sides and choose.

Try reading it if you want, you guys might like it :D

dixxn said:
Is there anyone here who's into japanese mangas? If there is, I just wanted to recommend a title called "Shigurui"

I remember seeing one episode of anime adaptation at convention long time ago and liking it but for some reason I never got around to it. Might as well try it now.

Another recommendation goes for Claymore.

"A world sparsely occupied by small, isolated villages needs someone to defend its people from Yoma, devil-like creatures with fearsome strength and hunger for humans. The people are protected by Claymore; half-human half-Yoma female warriors with silver hair and eyes and power to match the Yoma. Clare is one such Claymore. After she saves a young boy named Raki, whose family is massacred by a Yoma, he begins to follow her from mission to mission."

Its basically about female Witchers.

Watching heaps of simulcasts atm. Arpeggio of Blue Steel is really cool. Alien (futuristic looking) battleship battles. Awesome stuff.

Been watching "My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy". After the first two episodes it can be a bit dull but still pretty funny. Don't like the amount of "fan service" however.

The beginning of the first episode showing choices people have made in history is worth a watch most definitely.

I really like Bleach as anyone would expect looking at my avatar. The plot is really good written and the characters, specially the villain, are scripted in a very inteligent way. Tite Kubo is certainly one of the most brilliant Shonen manga makers of all time.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is also a beautiful shonen.

I also love Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, which have a more mature and bittersweet aproach. Claymore is mature too, and the plot is great.

An anime of "alternative genre" that I really really like is Mushishi. It's about a doctor that travels old japan trying to cure the illness created by the little mushi, kind of spiritual patogens. I really recommend it to anyone looking for something else rather than the typical shonen.

And last but not least, I love Studio Ghibli movies which I have seen as I grew up :)

Otokage said:
Can I see that if I haven't read the manga/seen the anime yet? Or will the movies contain spoilers?
I'm not sure of what kind of movies Guipit was refering to. Because three animated movies have just been released.
Berserk: Golden Age Arc.
I watched yesterday ep2 and it's brilliantly done! ^^

Those movies recounts the story of the manga series. If I were you, I'd read the manga first and watch the movies later, because a lot of details have been cut out and refurbished. The general story is the same of course, it hasn't been changed. And this is something that I really appreciate, I hate when they do something on the screen that it's just slightly related with the original book\comics\manga. Just for the sake of Hollywood audience.

Same has happened with Revolutionary Girl Utena movie.

secondchildren said:
I'm not sure of what kind of movies Guipit was refering to. Because three animated movies have just been released.
Berserk: Golden Age Arc.
I watched yesterday ep2 and it's brilliantly done! ^^

Those movies recounts the story of the manga series. If I were you, I'd read the manga first and watch the movies later, because a lot of details have been cut out and refurbished. The general story is the same of course, it hasn't been changed. And this is something that I really appreciate, I hate when they do something on the screen that it's just slightly related with the original book\comics\manga. Just for the sake of Hollywood audience.

Same has happened with Revolutionary Girl Utena movie.

Oh so the movies are a remake, kind of, so I will understand the plot even if I haven't seen the manga. But I think I will follow your advice of reading the manga first since I've always wanted to put my hands on the series but never found the time to do so :) Thnx 4 the answer.

I was raised on Dragon Ball so I'm not so much surprised that Naruto is right in my alley (I started to watch One Piece recently and I like it so far) ;]

But if we leave "big" ones, then I really like Psycho-Pass, for me it's very intresting idea for story, and great world for some big intrigue. Year ago I started to collect manga too and my first one was Ikigami ( I don't have all of them yet in fact ;]) and I just love the concept of its storyline.

Sorry for digging this old thread up ; ]

I need to jog my memory... umm...

My first exposure to the anime back in the the days of kindergarten was, what else, Dragon Ball Z which I still hold in very high regard. I remember coming back home and watching it alone on RTL7. I was mesmerized by the spectatular fight scenes and sound effects I guess. Sure, when you look at it now it seems pretty brainless, but it's sooo entertaining that I'm willing to overlook all the flaws. I remember watching Saint Seiya, Magic Knight Rayearth and Slayers as well, though never as much as DB.

All dubbed in glorious French, with Polish lector overdub by the way. Oh, yeah... good ol' days of 1998, when independent Polish channels for kids were still in their infancy. Hahaha...

I started watching anime seriously when I was in Middle School. It coincided, of course, with my fascination with manga. I watched and read Naruto - which I still read from time to time, but don't watch since I don't have the time. I read Love Hina I think, though I roll my eyes at this sort of comedy now.

I have a very soft spot for Cowboy Bebop, because it was the first time I was actually aware that I was watching something truly great. The music, the noir atmoshpere, the characters all hit me right in the feels... so to speak. More importantly though it encouraged me to seek similar experiences. Since then I've seen Akira, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Godfathers, Grave of the Fireflies and many of Makoto Shinkai movies. I stopped perceiving anime as only entertainment and more as an art form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom