Jesus ???

+
Jesus ???

Just a little LOL moment yesterday evening, when I was pulling my sword in the middle of the Flotsam marketsquare.
People got scared and backed away, calling for Jesus !
It made me wonder if Jesus in fact is part of the Witcher mythology somehow.
I've never read any reference to him at all in the books, or the games for that matter, and the religious pantheons in Temeria seem to be very different, and way more akin to older Norse, Germanic and Celtic cultures.

So why do people call for Jesus ??

its one of those things you can easily understand and relate to. "Oh my god!" or "Allah!" would be better? you could ask the same question, which god? why Allah?. Btw you meet few priests and monks in game.. its just making the game a bit richer.. but you have to remember TW games are only "based" on the books.. same as movies these day.

In the world of The Witcher, Jesus is probably akin to the colloquial slang similar to saying "Holy f**kin hell" or "What the f**k"..or the gold standard slang term "Jesus H. Christ"...
That's about how useful its meaning is in the real world these days, so at least in the world of The Witcher, it serves as a mildly amusing exchange of banter.

HouseofScorpionWitcher said:
In the world of The Witcher, Jesus is probably akin to the colloquial slang similar to saying "Holy f**kin hell" or "What the f**k"..or the gold standard slang term "Jesus H. Christ"...
That's about how useful its meaning is in the real world these days, so at least in the world of The Witcher, it serves as a mildly amusing exchange of banter.

This. By now it's just a figure of speach; a simple exclamation without any meaning.

A bit of an odd choice, but we all know what it's about.

Does it happen in non-English voice-overs? It might just be the result of a voice director getting several actors in front of a mic and telling them to yell obscenities as if they had just been startled by something. If there was no direction to avoid incongruous references to Christianity, then it's a reasonable guess that one of the actors made an odd but understandable ad-lib choice.

Forum veteran
Charza said:
So why do people call for Jesus ??
Because he was hit in the back for 200% damage for their sins?

Old thread, but couldn't resist.

sorry if some1 takes this as trolling but in TW1 I laughed for couple name of place like Vinlandia (which could be taken as Finlandia) and novigard (in my ear it sounds pretty close to novgorod)

Guest 3593423

It might just be a weird translation from the Polish (maybe they used a swearword with no English equivalent). Maybe they could say "By the Wild Hunt!" instead. :p

VonStreff said:
It might just be a weird translation from the Polish (maybe they used a swearword with no English equivalent). Maybe they could say "By the Wild Hunt!" instead. :p
Now, that would be something. Like it.

Well, as some of you might remember there is this thing called “The Good Book” in the Witcher universe which is a parody of the Bible. I don’t know whether Jesus is mentioned in there, too (the prophet Lebioda is the one whose teachings the book contains) so it might just be what kyogen assumed and the people in charge of the voice-over simply messed up.

I have not heard anything in the Polish voiceovers that would translate to "Jesus!" I hear "Bogowie!" ("gods!") in the Polish voiceovers. But not everything is meant to be a close translation; sometimes commoners will say something in the English voiceovers that doesn't match the Polish at all.

The name "Jesus" is not mentioned by any NPC in Polish version of The Witcher 2 (nor TW1).
Personally I think that it was not a good idea to add Jesus to English version... but It's just my opinion.
Anyway, "Pozdrawiam wszystkich polaków". Są tu jacyś Polacy? :D

PaulMarshall said:
The name "Jesus" is not mentioned by any NPC in Polish version of The Witcher 2 (nor TW1).
Personally I think that it was not a good idea to add Jesus to English version... but It's just my opinion.
Anyway, "Pozdrawiam wszystkich polaków". Są tu jacyś Polacy? :D/>
Yep there are Poles here and there throughout this side of the forum. and welcome by the way!

Top Bottom