Johnny Silverhand/ Keanu Reeves

+

Does the announcement of Keanu Reeves change your childhood hero choice?

• I was planning on going with Johnny Silverhand all along!

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I was on the fence but now I'm definitely choosing him!

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I was going to but not anymore!

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I'm not going to decide anything until I see all choices at release.

Votes: 60 63.2%
  • I'm a wild one, I'm going to roll the dice and choose randomly!

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Rockerboy all the way. :p
Keanu or no.

I was at first confused to see Keanu enter the stage after his reveal in the game. Then that comment happened, you know which one I mean, and seeing Keanu's reaction won me over.
He's great! :D

However...these images will never be forgotten by me, and will always be how I'll picture Johnny Silverhand.

Nothing against Keanu though, he'll do great I'm sure!

Hmm, what with the fact that I keep reading how much money the games industry makes compared to other media combined, you're making me wonder whether in 20 years time they'll be as many actors made famous for their roles in games as movies. Actually, I imagine probably still have to earn their fame in movies first, but I can see them getting used more and more often, either way.

Maybe one of the things people will ask and wonder excitedly about in the future is, 'Ooo, I wonder who's gonna star in it?'.

Most actors are known for their personality, look, style, face, voice ectectect...They end up in movies or games, make some money, and get more well known. Most of the time they go through proper channels, have a manager, and constantly work on themselves to get further into the "spotlight".

There are people all over the world who can do the exact same thing, probably better than most well known people who have been placed into the spotlight. Famous people essentially sell their likeness to IPs.

If facial/eye tracking tech becomes a regular addition to people's set ups then I can envision a world where regular people will be able to sell their digital likeness to studios. It's already done with voice acting and streaming, but not in a way that gives full expression so that it may be over laid onto a monster or character in a game.

Watch that be the next big way for regular people to make money at home. People are going to be able to record and sell their face and all the unique micro expressions it can make. The more unique or expressive a person can be the more money can be made.

I think it is totally invasive, but it will be a by-product of where tech is headed.

Gaming industry has been bigger than Hollywood for some time now. It makes sense for movie stars to make moves toward games. Not to mention voice acting is quite an easy job for an accomplished actor. It doesn't matter how you look, only your voice matters.

Nice, I think GTA5 played big role in this. I cant wait to see GTA6 hype, it think its going to be simply amazing. Wow, mobile is also brinning tons of money.

Guest 4211861

Is there any way to turn Keanu off? I don't want him watching me all the time.

I seriously doubt they will use them for entire game, probably somekind of intro? Maybe the game starts as V is in "braindance" machine etc.
It was recently stated in an interview that Keanu has the 2nd most lines of dialogue in the game, presumably 1st is your character. This indicates that he will be very integral to the story and constantly present, which I'm not too happy about.

Is there any way to turn Keanu off? I don't want him watching me all the time.
I guess he will appear in the endgame. After V wakes up in the junkjard. My theory is he is on the chip in the trailer. Inside the Soulkiller daemon program. He will be cyberpunk's counterpart of the Borderland's Angel. More hot, though.... wait! Less! Goddamit...

It was recently stated in an interview that Keanu has the 2nd most lines of dialogue in the game, presumably 1st is your character. This indicates that he will be very integral to the story and constantly present, which I'm not too happy about.

Alright. Thats interesting.

I don't have a problem with him being there a lot, as long as it's done seamlessly. As has been said in interviews, he's gonna be with us in the majority of the game. I do however will have an issue with it if he's there when my V want to spend time with some girl she picked up for the night. I don't want him creeping on us. Nor if he takes away the one thing the devs have been repeating over and over; choice. If we have to make some choices in the story to please Johnny, otherwise he makes sure we die, than the point with making or own choices and it being V's story kinda disappears rather quickly.

It's a bit cliche, but is it possible that Silverhand is not what he appears?
We get to the climax of whatever and Johnny's all, "Suprise mother-flipper, it's me, Saburo Arasaka!"

I do however will have an issue with it if he's there when my V want to spend time with some girl she picked up for the night.

I feel the exact opposite. I want to look over and get a supportive thumbs up from Keanu.

It's a bit cliche, but is it possible that Silverhand is not what he appears?
We get to the climax of whatever and Johnny's all, "Suprise mother-flipper, it's me, Saburo Arasaka!"

I feel the exact opposite. I want to look over and get a supportive thumbs up from Keanu.

Hey, I would like that too if Johnny was a woman instead.

Keanu Reeves said in a BBC interview that Johnny will be our guide along the way, giving us advice throughout the game, but Johnny has his own agenda and may or may not be a true ally. I'm thinking we'll get him as our ghost companion regardless of the background we choose.

I wonder if Keanu Reeves is going to be as good as Mark Hamil, who basically played the same role of "guide stuck in head" to Batman in Arkham Knight. As Joker of course, haunting Batman's mind by infecting him with stemcells.

Mark Hamil was the best thing in that game, bringing both humor, menace and fear. Not sure if Johnny Silverhand will ever have the same range of acting opportunities.

Basically, you also wake up with your guide telling you to "give the city what it deserves".

He also pops up everywhere to mess with you.

Last edited:
I wonder if Keanu Reeves is going to be as good as Mark Hamil, who basically played the same role of "guide stuck in head" to Batman in Arkham City. As Joker of course, haunting Batman's mind by infecting him with stemcells.

I believe you are thinking Arkham knight, not Arkham city.
Also Joker wasn't 'a guide'. In fact he had zero impact on the story if memory serves.

I believe you are thinking Arkham knight, not Arkham city.

Ah, quite right. I did mean Arkham Knight. Thanks for the correction.

Also Joker wasn't 'a guide'. In fact he had zero impact on the story if memory serves.

Joker's role was far more antagonistic than I expect Silverhand's role to be, but Joker did indeed serve an important role in Arkham Knight's story. Crucial, in fact. Not only does he give background, but there's one more important, often misunderstood moment:

The jest of Arkham Knight is that Batman is chasing after a terrorist spreading a fear toxin that weakens your mind. At the same time, Batman is also infected by Joker stemcells, which are slowly taking over his mind and giving him hallucinations of Joker, who is now "stuck in his head". The terrorist's toxins are helping Joker to come out, since they're weakening Batman.

In the end, Batman gets captured and is about to get poisoned by the fear terrorist, while Joker is getting too strong to resist.

Batman's solution? LET joker take over, just as the terrorist is about to poison him.

Result: It's Joker who gets poisoned by the toxin, which weaken Joker, allowing batman to take back control. Much to the frustration of the terrorist, Batman used Joker as a shield. "Why aren't you scared?" @41:07

Rather brilliant actually, and pretty much my gold standard for what you can do with this trope.

Can't wait to see if CDPR can match it of if they'll do something similar with Silverhand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom