Join the Light Side! Popularity Analysis

+
Again, I don't say Gwent to have cartoon graphics.
Yet you keep bringing up HS as an example of "good" visuals, and now Fall Guys as well. Cartoon and more cartoon.
The Witcher universe is not sunshine and butterflies; it is dark and gritty and not particularly beautiful -- that is how Sapkowski made it and that is how CDPR continue to show it in their games. Including GWENT.
Even Toussaint, the "Duchy Out Of Tales of Fantasy and Wonder", has its share of darkness beneath the pretty surface.

The more others counter your arguments the more repetitive and weaker your new arguments become. Especially with that latest post that doesn't even make any sense as an argument for the thread's topic.

PS. The Reward Book is just that, a book. A book is in no way a representation of the world's visuals, especially when it only has pages and no covers. Books need to be clean is order to be of any use, whereas war (which is what the gameplay is) is everything but clean. And it's not like you can't pick boards that are less "disgusting"; the tavern, winter, spring, and Lyria ones come to mind.

Last edited:
Why do people like horror movies? Why watch Jaws, The exorcist, Seven. etc when you have baby yoda and the disney channel?

Because diferent tastes exist.

And some even change with age or events in your life.

Would you argue that Jaws would have been better if the Shark was cuter?
Or that the exorcist should have been a well lit cartoon?

I'm obviously exagerating, to emphazise my point.

Isn't Dark Souls, one of the most depressing, unaccesible, cryptic, dark, gritty and foul games out there, and an indisputable king of sales?
As I said, it's one-time adventure. And, It's much more fun and simple than Gwent. If compare DS and Fall Guys, the second one was sold for 2 000 000 copies for one week! DS 3 was sold just for 5 000 000 for all time (if u look at SteamCharts).
And Still DS is lighter than Gwent. I posted screenshots of Dark Souls. It's just name - Dark. The game is quite bright, clear and understandable. It has simple mechanics, not lots of math.

DS-1.jpeg DS-2.jpg DS-3.jpg

Look at interface:

DS-4.jpg

It has strait lines, even if it's dark. it's clear
Look at Gwent:

GW-1.jpg

These ugly card borders are bad. Shiny cards in hands are bad, Wooden coin, which deforms while turns is bad. Too many dirt around. It's just ugly. Cards on the ground are unessential looking. They need a desktop. Cards - are a hand game. Hands like clarity, not dirtiness. Dirt is for boots, not hands. So this dirty fields decision is very bad. It ruins all the game style, all the impression. Almost all game decisions made since release are unfortunate.
All these SY coins and orders overload the game, make it too complicated - too many digits and math. It was more than enough math in Beta. But u made much more. Math is boring. So, the game is too complicated and overloaded as by gameplay, so by design.
I like beta card style, it was much better and good looking. It fits a beautiful book of reward's style much better:

GW-2.jpg

Dark Souls is not so popular as they say. It's one time game. It's not game for every day. It's too depressing game to see it every day. Depressed people play less and pay less. U make them suffer and they don't pay u for it. All is connected.

Just turn the light side, make people rest and fun, and they'll pay u for it.
Post automatically merged:

that is how Sapkowski made it and that is how CDPR continue to show it in their games. Including GWENT.
Hah, but Gwent was a FUNNY game. CDPR made it gloomy. It's not what it must be. Gwent is a entertainment in a dark world. But u made it another source of depression. Bad decision. Beta Gwent with funny tavern music was very good. Gwent initially - is a tavern funny game. That's it. It's not an adventure in the open world. No, it's a game for closed and mostly cosy spaces. Not that terrible dirty overloaded thing that CDPR made.

Last edited:
Gwent initially - is a tavern funny game.
No. It. Is. Not. The game it's inspired by is literally played on the ground while travelling, in the books.
That argument has always been rubbish.
And if you only look at Witcher 3's gwent... you cannot seriously claim it's a tavern game when NPCs all over the game world, including in the wilderness, are willing to play it. :facepalm:

Homecoming was a massive improvement when it comes to visuals, precisely because the game is no longer so bright and happyish despite having war as its gameplay and the dark Witcher universe as its setting.

No. It. Is. Not. The game it's inspired by is literally played on the ground while travelling, in the books.
That argument has always been rubbish.
U r mistaken. Again. In books it was just a card game, similar to our cards with four card suits. And cards are never thrown in the dirt, cause they are collectible and precious. And they are made of paper. Paper doesn't like dirt. Nothing likes dirt except boots. Cards are played atleast on the wooden stump or on the stone - variants of improvised tables. These are two good ideas for a classical Gwent gameboard.

If compare DS and Fall Guys, the second one was sold for 2 000 000 copies for one week! DS 3 was sold just for 5 000 000 for all time (if u look at SteamCharts).

Once again, you are comparing two completely different games and ignore every other aspect thereof. For example, Dark Souls' difficulty is far higher than an average game, which may very well have a bigger impact on the sales than the art style of the game. Incidentally, the game is called DARK souls. More importantly, and I state this as a simple undeniable fact, not all games should be made to cater to the largest audience possible because that would remove every niche game from the market, whether it's because they are too dark, too difficult or whatever.

And cards are never thrown in the dirt, cause they are collectible and precious.
This article has a direct quote from the books: Barrel (card game). It even specifically mentions intricately designed and drawn cards. You cannot possibly even try to dispute that.
And in Witcher 3 Geralt/Zoltan plays against Priscilla while indeed sitting on the ground. In the wilderness. Another undeniable fact.

This entire thread is based on nothing but entirely subjective opinions, and every time someone shows objective facts they're ignored or attempted to be countered with more subjective opinions, plus increasingly far-fetched arguments.

This article has a direct quote from the books: Barrel (card game). It even specifically mentions intricately designed and drawn cards. You cannot possibly even try to dispute that.
Did u even read this article? :coolstory: Barrel means just a place of cards' landing (I guess). It's another idea for true Gwent's battlefield. But:
It is not unlike the contemporary game of bridge.

So, it's just simple 4-suited cards, beautifully made by dwarfs.

Barrel means just a place of cards' landing (I guess).
Its original name is gwint, which is mentioned in the article that I read multiple times and that says exactly nothing about what the cards were played on.
'Gwint', a Polish word, has nothing to do with barrels.

You're only losing credibility here, with statements that are inaccurate and based on nothing.

You're only losing credibility here, with statements that are inaccurate and based on nothing.
Ok, but why author writes that this game is look like bridge than and why it is translated like barrel? I just say what I've read. And still. Noone plays cards on the ground. CARDS are not made for the ground. It's not comfortable and not hygienic atleast. Such games are called table game. That means they are played on the table. I don't know any card game that is played on the ground. It's just a simple logic.

Noone plays cards on the ground. CARDS are not made for the ground. It's not comfortable and not hygienic atleast. Such games are called table game. That means they are played on the table. I don't know any card game that is played on the ground. It's just a simple logic.
That's because you live in a different world. If you spent months traveling on horseback and sleeping in the wilderness, then you wouldn't often have the luxury of playing cards on tables or even indoors. People work with what they have, and Geralt and his traveling companions didn't have much.

Noone plays Plague Tale every day. It's one-time-journey. Cause it's too dark and negative.
Normal people cannot play gloomy games every day. Most of them cannot ever play it at all. U will never get many people with negative things. Yes someone like this, but it's just about 10% of unhealthy people, not more.
Some days ago I found an article of one autist girl, who moved to a room with dark wallpaper. There is a link (if u understand or translate russian):
She's something like sensitive like other autists. And she says that she became sad because of this wallpaper. She sees like this every day experience of dark things makes people's aura sicky. Dark colors in aura mean sickness. Every sensitive can say this. And even interior designers say the same things: never use dark colors in interior, cause they bring depression.
U can play dark games for one time, but u cannot play them every day. It's too sicky and sadly. U cannot go to such games to have a rest. Everyday games must bring good emotions, they must bring rest or they will never be popular.

Total drivel.

Ok, but why author writes that this game is look like bridge than and why it is translated like barrel? I just say what I've read. And still. Noone plays cards on the ground. CARDS are not made for the ground. It's not comfortable and not hygienic atleast. Such games are called table game. That means they are played on the table. I don't know any card game that is played on the ground. It's just a simple logic.

I hope you realise that card games weren't invented in the 20th century. Gambling games like cards and dice were very popular among high society and the commoners alike, and if the nobility and rich people played mostly in apropriate places, the commoners played pretty much where they could. That is especially true regarding soldiers during marches and campaigns that could take weeks and months. They were playing on the grownd, on drums, on barrels and pretty much everywhere they could.

1597766504094.png

1597766609428.png

1597766678730.png

I hope you realise that card games weren't invented in the 20th century. Gambling games like cards and dice were very popular among high society and the commoners alike, and if the nobility and rich people played mostly in apropriate places, the commoners played pretty much where they could. That is especially true regarding soldiers during marches and campaigns that could take weeks and months. They were playing on the grownd, on drums, on barrels and pretty much everywhere they could.

View attachment 11056250

View attachment 11056259

View attachment 11056262

Man, ur pictures just show that I am right: people play on the drum and on the barrel))) Cause it's comfortable for a game where hands are involved. It's not football to play on the ground. Even ground don't ever used with dirt. There is always some cover, mat for cards not to become dirty. But in Gwent - u just throw them right into the mud. And then gather them into ur pocket. Very beautiful. On release the game for kings turned into the game for pigs...

Last edited:
Top Bottom