Journalist Opinion on the Downgrade Debacle.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get though, is that it must have been running on a PC of a given spec with the graphics looking as we'd expected, so why can't it look like that now? Surely the hardware available now is more advanced than it was when those initial trailers appeared, so, why doesn't the game look that spectacular if the user selects "max detail"? Why would they feel the need to remove or disable anything from the preview trailers, when it clearly ran on a PC back then? I don't understand...?

These were demos after all. The very first trailers were most likely created with a lot of post-processing on CDPR's part to show how they wanted the game to look like in the end.
For the 35 minute gameplay presentation i would guess that they had the area mostly closed of to just the areas we visited. They also most likely had optimized the game for that specific area. So that, for example, specific effects were working well in those areas but caused issues in some areas of the game world that they didn't show.

---------- Updated at 07:38 PM ----------

Well, I would guess that CDPR didn't consider it a debacle. A small percentage of people have decided it is. Sales are good, review are awesome... Pretty much a non issue. When asked, they say PC will look better, game looks great, have fun.

Seems to be accurate. Perhaps the debacle simply.... Isn't.

That would be pretty worrying. Because we can see on this forum that a lot of their fans do care very much about this issue. True the majourity of people that will play the game in the end might not. But those that do are the people that are on this forum. These are the hardcore fans of CDPR and if CDPR really cares nothing about their core-fanbase, about the people that supported them from the start, then that is indeed worrying. If they want to joing EA, Bioware, Ubisoft and all the rest in their race to appeal to the broad audience and the lowest common denominator, then they can do that. They will do it without me, though.

Edit: They actually mentioned in another article on gamestar that CDPR send the PC patch in yesterday as a pre-version of the day one patch and said that the final day one patch will have additional improvements in it. They also guessed that CDPR might have done that, because they are worrying about the downgrade debacle. But that's obviously just a guess.

Last edited:
Well, I would guess that CDPR didn't consider it a debacle. A small percentage of people have decided it is. Sales are good, review are awesome... Pretty much a non issue. When asked, they say PC will look better, game looks great, have fun.

Seems to be accurate. Perhaps the debacle simply.... Isn't.

I preordered and never once considered cancelling it despite all I've read, the gameplay is my number 1 priority,
I was disappointed by some of the decisions made and the handling of the facts, so in my opinion the unit sales
don't necessarily reflect the playerbase's disappointment.
Had a figurehead of CDPR came out and announced what had transpired, what was going on behind the scenes
there may well have been a handfull of folk cancelling preorders or not buying it but very few and the reputation
of CDPR as being honest and transparent would be left intact/untarnished.

If they want to joing EA, Bioware, Ubisoft and all the rest in their race to appeal to the broad audience and the lowest common denominator, then they can do that. They will do it without me, though.

Of course they want to appeal to a broad audience, which includes making the best game they can.
If these kind of posts constitute hardcore fandom to you, then so long then.
This is the kind of fandom I think CDPR can well do without, given that the game hasn't even released yet.

If what you write are indeed the reasons for cdpr not to respond to the accusations accordingly, cdpr might turn into a rockstar, or maybe even later into an ea copy. It's a huge danger when a company grows to loose sigh of their ideals

I dont hope that. But wouldn´t be the firtst time. The Crysismanagement on this topic however, was realy bad.
Lets hope the best.

Nah... Actually Dragon Age Inquisition looks better than the current downgraded version of Witcher 3.

View attachment 14426

I had pleasure to play Dragon Age Inquistion quite recently and for extended period of time with maxed out graphics settings i have to say that you are dead wrong and my conclusion is that you are flaming. Witchers PS4 graphics look better then DA:I maxed out, and Xbox version is equivalent to it.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.bmp
    362.3 KB · Views: 71
Of course they want to appeal to a broad audience, which includes making the best game they can.
If these kind of posts constitute hardcore fandom to you, then so long then.
This is the kind of fandom I think CDPR can well do without, given that the game hasn't even released yet.

I think you and I may have different interpretations of what appealing to a broad audience actually means. Of course Companies should always try to get more people to like their games, that's just business and a smart thing to do.
I was using the term because a few years back it was used a lot by PR guys to explain why some sequels went completely against what their previous games were about. A good and well known example of this was Dragon Age 2, were Bioware turned an Tactical RPG into a bad Hack-And-Slash Game, because that's what the kids play these days, right?
An even more apparent example were the Harry Potter games that once were Adventure games that were about exploration and puzzle-solving. And got turned into turn-based shooters.
It's basically not "Let's see how we can make this game as fun as possible for as many people as possible." and more "Let's see what currently sells a lot, make a cheap knock-of of that and then slap the name of an established franchise on it. It's Genius!"

Edit: And what kinds of posts by the way? Saying that CDPR handled their PR very poorly? Saying that CDPR might not be perfect?

Last edited:
another downgrade thread??? you still debating about that?? lol

the witcher experience is the same on every platform, if you are a student then ps4 is the best... if you are rich then pc
the fun is the same ... only people who need to feel better because they have best graphics which nobody else can have, muust have the best

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...ws/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3086027.html

Here some more Screenshots. I agree. It looks better now.
Not 100% like the Demo, but it still looks fucking awesome. Most beautifull RPG exist.
I wonder why CDPR Community Manager let this whole Topic escalate..?

But hey, it is like it is. No doubt we will have an epic ride through an outstanding RPG.

It looks better now? You sure?

I would like to know from CDPR why they decided to downgrade the graphics so much. Was it because of the consoles? If so, why does the PC version get a downgrade as well?

I'm not angry, not at all, but I am a little bit disappointed. The game still looks good though.

another downgrade thread??? you still debating about that?? lol

the witcher experience is the same on every platform, if you are a student then ps4 is the best... if you are rich then pc
the fun is the same ... only people who need to feel better because they have best graphics which nobody else can have, muust have the best

I´m not Rich, ik work hard every day to buy stuff and to keep my PC on Top. I love my Hobby and yes, i am a Grafics Whore. I want the best because i love it, not because someone else cant have it. And i dont mean Consoles because its crystal clear that this Console Generation will never reach PC Standarts. And that´s realy sad, because we have to suffer from it too.

I wich you Fun with it anyways.

---------- Updated at 08:12 PM ----------

It looks better now? You sure?

I would like to know from CDPR why they decided to downgrade the graphics so much. Was it because of the consoles? If so, why does the PC version get a downgrade as well?

I'm not angry, not at all, but I am a little bit disappointed. The game still looks good though.

We will never know. Yes it´s still is a good looking Game, but lightyears away from what is possible :(

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument.
Once the game is released people can play for the themselves and make their own decisions, as I will do.
Being rude about CDPR at this point, and a range of other games companies who make enjoyable games, is uncalled for.

@herbert
yeah work hard and then it looks not the same i can understand your anger very well as well that you waited 4 years since 2011

but i am pretty sure that cd projekt red has a plan in mind, the quest system is the thing i am excited most as well the world

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument.
Once the game is released people can play for the themselves and make their own decisions, as I will do.
Being rude about CDPR at this point, and a range of other games companies who make enjoyable games, is uncalled for.

Nope.
I work as CAD Developer in the automobil Industry. If we would sell our stuff in the condition like EA or Ubisoft do it all the time. We would be vanished by now. Its time the Gamingindustry takes responsibilitys for their wrongdoings.

Nope.
I work as CAD Developer in the automobil Industry. If we would sell our stuff in the condition like EA or Ubisoft do it all the time. We would be vanished by now. Its time the Gamingindustry takes responsibilitys for their wrongdoings.

The games industry surely needs some specific laws for misleading footage/advertisement, thats for sure.

I agree with them. I'm inclined to believe that the responses, and sometimes lack of them, were far more of a problem with regards to how upset people got than the actual visuals. It created a wave of distrust which increased people's frustration.

Even people I know who aren't interested in TW3 were talking about it like it was part of an ongoing fight/problem with the industry in general, which is a shame.

Well, here is what -does- matter.

Did the product sell well? Were costs recouped and anticipated sales targets met?

Are reviews indicative that the sales are representative of the slaes plan and not some fluke or (mostly) aspect of market timing?

Do sales match focus group and market testing? Are things going as well as hoped?

Then the product is good. Repeat process. If possible, reduce flaws or alter marketing for even greater sales.

Do you know what difference angry forum posters and vocal minorities, ( NOT a PR term. Study some history.), make if the above is true?

Very little. And do you know why? Because in eveyr measureable way that matters to any producer, they Do Not Matter. They are an outlier.

I know it's hard to understand that your opinion doesn't matter in really any way, but that is a fact in today's market place. I'm not saying I like it, (Although in this case, I like it fine), but that is how it works.

Not everyone can matter and not everyone is accurate. And absolutely not everyone should be listened to.

Yep, games must not unreasonably mislead.
That's a judgement we can all make once the game has released.

but isn't that an " art " thing? i am pretty sure the answer to all this is very easy

Could be tbh. I am not sure. But no other industry can just show something people really want and give them something of lesser quality. The whole target trailer, ingame footage and "subject to change" lines only help in muddle the vision of the final product in this industry. A law that prevents such nonsense would go a long way.

Could be tbh. I am not sure. But no other industry can just show something people really want and give them something of lesser quality. The whole target trailer, ingame footage and "subject to change" lines only help in muddle the vision of the final product in this industry. A law that prevents such nonsense would go a long way.

i think the problem is the internet as a two sided sword and the false advertisment is a gray area
people without internet just can judge on the text on the rear side of the cover or magazines

the other people just wait til release to judge or get hyped by a product "work in progress"
but i agree cd project red should talk more to the people, an industry with heart is hard these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom