Just beat the game on Death March! - Achievement unlocked! Now I am just waiting for the perma death mode to start my REAL play through.

+
Would you guys still do it if it was implemented but had no achievement?

No achievement? K id only do it like 3-4 times then...

I dont need their acheivo, I can make my own. just needs to be legit, not a "oh i promise i didnt use any save files" crap

Last edited:
Played hardcore diablo for many years, I've lost characters with over 1000 hours into them. Deaths dont bother me. Neither do deaths by bugs. It happens, you move on. The gameplay and the eventual achievement is more than worth it.

That is incredible.

How did you ever play Diablo again after losing a character with more than a thousand hours into it? How did it make you feel? My apologies for the questions, I am just very surprised and curious.

Last edited:
That is incredible.

How did you ever play Diablo again after losing a character with more than a thousand hours into it? How did it make you feel? My apologies for the questions, I am just very surprised and curious.

No problem at all, I'd be glad to tell you.

Playing a hardcore (single death) character is one of the most rewarding style of gameplay I have ever experienced. To really understand, you have to understand that the gameplay is whats important, not the death. The death is just the price of admission. To me there is no greater high than taking on a boss, or a badass elite pack, and fighting for my life, knowing that if I make a mistake its over. Playing with friends added to this feeling.

But back to your question; How did I ever play again? Well one factor is that when you die in Diablo hardcore, you still keep your gear stash, so after 1000 hours, I had a whole lot of kickass gear in my stash. Sure I had to re-level from zero, but when I got to max, I could hit the ground running and work my way back to the top.

How did it make me feel? I have probably lost at least 5 characters with over 300 hours. I experienced a range of emotions. every one was different. I lost one to a reflect damage spike. That straight up pissed me off. but thats the risk you take when you play hardcore, and I would pay that price over again if thats what it takes.

Most of the other deaths left a smile on my face. I lost my barb on greater rift 52, solo. I was 3 minutes from clearing it and clearing a new personal best on ladder. I procc'd my death passive, and i knew I was in trouble. My heart went through the roof. the problem was, I had just ran from another crazy pack back near the entrance, so with a quick decision I had to go deeper into the rift and try to find some space to regenerate. I didnt find it - but i survived for a good 2 minutes while running my ass off and trying to proc some life on hit.. It was the most intense two minutes of gaming of my life. After I died, I was just like... fuck yah. Had I survived that fight, I would have said the exact same thing.

and thats why I play hardcore. Theres no feeling like it.

Given that I have run across a bug where Geralt insists on sheathing his sword mid-combat and wants to start punching a Cyclops, no thanks Jeff.

But, this is the internet, and if the internet has taught me one thing, it's that everyone who plays a game is amazing great at it.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Permadeath in a massive, hundreds-of-hours-long game where you can even occasionally die just because of technical issues isn't probably a particular good fit. But to each one his own, i guess.
As already suggested in another (largely ignored) thread I'd rather see an optional mode which would force me to play from start to finish without ANY form of fast travel (after few tweaks to the core game, like adding storage to your horse for instance).

Permadeath modes are just a cheap challenge. Less then 1% of all W2 PC players got it and that was a considerably smaller game and it's not something they can implement as easily as others might think.

Never gave a dime about virtual achievements:p ended on Death March yday. Started out on second highest but later switched to the highest since otherwise it was way too easy.

That is incredible.

Dunno about him but when my 500 hours barb died I didn't bat an eye. I kinda rushed recklessly on purpose for the thrill :). The first thing I thought was "Now I got a reason to make different class!"

I think not using manual saves on most hard difficulty is pretty enough for anyone.

This is what i did on my first playthrough, died a couple times in a boss fights / walking off cliffs trying to take shortcuts. nothing that makes me afraid to play dark mode. With more prep, and more patience, I honestly think I could clear it, and I would love the chance to try.

I've asked this a couple times, still hoping someone out there knows something:

I've read a couple articles pre-release stating how they are very passionate about dark mode and such. But it is obviously not in the game today, and I cant find a damn thing about it being cancelled or even postponed, or even that it is still coming. Has anyone read anything about it? seen any updates at all?

I think that perma death will change little for you, removing most of the "free" loot lying around on the other hand might do the trick. But you need some kind of rebalance mode for that.

I think part of the reason why perma-death hasn't been released yet it because they want to stabilise the game a bit more so less bugs. I am very exited to play perma-death because the fear of death for me is the ultimate immerssion and rush. Knowing that I can choose to not delete my save is enough for those feelings of fear and anxiety to go away. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they add it into the game as part of the "insane mode". Also for the insane mode it would be nice if the enemys AI reacted against the player better. For example heavy attacking the same enemy and he will catch on and start dodging instead of blocking. Also make the enemies "leash" longer. By leash I mean after being a certain distance away from the spot they spawn at, they will run back to that location. Alot of times it feels WAY to short. Even if they are right behind infront of me they just turn around and start walking back.

Make the AI REALLY smart for insane mode and add permadeath PLEASE!!!!

I think part of the reason why perma-death hasn't been released yet it because they want to stabilise the game a bit more so less bugs. I am very exited to play perma-death because the fear of death for me is the ultimate immerssion and rush. Knowing that I can choose to not delete my save is enough for those feelings of fear and anxiety to go away. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they add it into the game as part of the "insane mode". Also for the insane mode it would be nice if the enemys AI reacted against the player better. For example heavy attacking the same enemy and he will catch on and start dodging instead of blocking. Also make the enemies "leash" longer. By leash I mean after being a certain distance away from the spot they spawn at, they will run back to that location. Alot of times it feels WAY to short. Even if they are right behind infront of me they just turn around and start walking back.

Make the AI REALLY smart for insane mode and add permadeath PLEASE!!!!

I would absolutely be up for this as well.

Make it harder. Make AI smarter. Add perma death. win game of the year in my books.

Cause achievements > gameplay :), it's something that WoW did and poisoned the internet with

I think it has more to do with the fact that almost every game is designed to be beatable by anyone today. In the 80s and early 90s, most games were still super-hard to finish and you got bragging rights just for making it to the end. Now that the philosophy is that if you paid for the game, you have a right to see all the content (and to be clear, even as a die-hard Souls fan, I think that makes a certain amount of sense), they had to replace that with something else not everyone can get.

I think it has more to do with the fact that almost every game is designed to be beatable by anyone today. In the 80s and early 90s, most games were still super-hard to finish and you got bragging rights just for making it to the end. Now that the philosophy is that if you paid for the game, you have a right to see all the content (and to be clear, even as a die-hard Souls fan, I think that makes a certain amount of sense), they had to replace that with something else not everyone can get.

Blame walkthroughs and guides for that

Top Bottom