Just how big is W3 going to be in terms of GB?

+
Just how big is W3 going to be in terms of GB?

I was thinking that it may be fun to speculate. W2:EE is what, 18 GB? And if the third game is 35 times bigger I wonder how many GB it's going to hog. Assuming the console dual layer blu-ray versions are capped at 50 GB - AND assuming the graphical quality of the game is going to be pretty much the same across platforms, I think it's safe to assume we are looking at at least a 50 GB game here.

I understand that the Red Engine 2 textures are heavily laden with high fidelity pre-rendered graphics. The RE3 is going to be even more demanding. I'm guessing the DVD release is out of the question. No one is going to install the game on 8-10 DVDs.

Skyrim barely had any pre-rendered graphics, hence the reason it could fit on one DVD, hence the poor graphics, by PC's standards anyway.

1.21 gigawatts.

But honestly, I don't think it will be that much bigger since I am sure they will compress it another way than they did for The Witcher 2. We'll know more in a few months. :)

I get ~22 GB for the current version of TW2. We're talking 1 GB per spoken language (so English, Polish, etc...), 5GB in total; there's 6 GB of pre-rendered movies (the outro, the intro, the dream sequences); the remaining 11 GB is almost exclusively 'pack0.dzip' (10 GB): this file contains textures, meshes, but also game-related information (quests, etc.). Perhaps surprising to those who don't know much about game development (including me), by far the largest part consists of gameplay information (7 GB), leaving a maximum of 3 GB for textures and meshes.

So if we assume the amount of pre-rendered movies and available voice-over options remain similar (which seems a fair assumption), that'll be 11 GB; we can also safely assume that, seeing as TW3 contains ~100 hours of gameplay it'll contain more gameplay information: let's say twice as much as TW2, which seems an unlikely high increase, but that would be another 14 GB. If we assume unique texture size etc. also increase twofold, we'd get

11 + 14 + 6 = 31 GB of gamespace. Keep in mind that these estimates are based on the Enhanced Edition of TW2; at release it was of course a significantly smaller game (in terms of file size). So 30 GB at release is already a high estimate.

50GB, at any rate, seems an unlikely high estimate, especially keeping in mind that fancier textures and in-game assets (as the OP mentions) would form only a relatively small part of the total game.

Here's a novel concept: compression.

Lookup kkrieger. A tiny 3D experimental FPS that fits in only a few hundred KB.

i think 40+gb is preaty likely going to be for ps4 at least if you are going to compare to games like uncharted. TW3 being as big as it is, there could be a LOT of cutscene videos for quests and it they're going to be in full hd it's going to add up

M4xw0lf said:
Cutscenes in in-game graphics need next to no disk space.

Yes! That's what I wanted to mention in my OP but forgot. I think that's what they did in Uncharted: The Golden Abyss on the PS vita to save space.

blackgriffin said:
i think 40+gb is preaty likely going to be for ps4 at least if you are going to compare to games like uncharted. TW3 being as big as it is, there could be a LOT of cutscene videos for quests and it they're going to be in full hd it's going to add up
by bad i was refering to cgi videos or what they're called the ones that are actual files uncharted had like 20gb of videos

I doubt it’ll be 50GB (let alone more) in size. Even the biggest games to this day (ignoring MMORPGs) are far smaller and I doubt that TW3 will be the biggest game of the next generation.

ReptilePZ said:
Roughly 0.02% with GB being ~229 946 sq. km big and TW3 being ~48 sq. km.

Agent_Blue

Obviously, as has been stated by CDProjekt,

it's 35
times bigger.

Top Bottom