Just how big is W3 going to be in terms of GB?

+
There's no distribution arrangement for Asia, so there's no real likelihood of it being available retail on Day 1 either. I'll decide nearer the time, but I may end up getting the Steam version as well. Or canceling the Gog pre-order. (It's not their fault it's slow, it's that my ISP is cheapskate on international peering arrangements).

I may end up getting the Steam version as well. Or canceling the Gog pre-order

That's roughly what I see at Speedtest too.
And yes. Megabits, not Megabytes. That means you have roughly 1 Megabyte per second, which in reality means a download speed of around 800KBps.

(And I don't know about you, but I only get that in-country. If I'm downloading from somewhere like GOG, I get less than half of that. Which, to be honest, is the main reason why I usually buy from Steam. They have servers here.)

Seriously? I download with the maximum download speed my provider allows me to when downloading from GOG. Their servers are great. Seeing as there are a lot of american consumers on GOG as well, I find it hard to believe that GOG's servers are not good for them.

Edit: just read your next post. Kind of nasty ISP you got there then.

There's one thing I have never understood about download speeds

If my speed is about 8Mbps it will download games for example at 800KBps. Why is that? Does Mb mean megabit which is 1/8 or so of a MB, Megabyte? I'm totally lost on this

Your internet is measured in Megabits. To get your actual Megabyte speed, you divide your download or upload speed by 8. My down is around 25, so I can get around 3.5 megabytes down. But where you download from is also a factor, and dividing by 8 will not always give you a correct answer (I think there's additional math involved).

Downloading through your browser and certain clients (namely itunes), your download speed will almost always be throttled to a low value. That's why I use the GOG downloader, and not downloading GOG files through my browser which takes forever.

Edit: just read your next post. Kind of nasty ISP you got there then.

The best speed I can get downloading from an overseas site is around 60KB/s per connection. I'm OK on FTP where I can have 20 connections running at a time and do segmented downloads, but I haven't found a browser-based download tool that lets you go that high and segment them. Open to recommendations :)

My download speed depends where and when I download something. At night I get max 1.5 MB/s which is decent because I live in a countryside. Downloading from Origin is maybe a bit faster than downloading from Steam but there could be difference between server loads. I'd guess I can download 25-30 GB in a night (from 00.00 to 6.00-8.00.
I should check what kind of speed we are supposed to get
There might be fiber coming to where I live (which would be AWESOME) but we'll see if my parents can afford that :sad:

Last edited:
I was saying 50 gb, now is confirmed. 50 is totally normal and a new standard, DAI isn't 25, it is 35 gb, all games from this year are 25 - 50 gb, call of duty and wolfenstein are 50 gb, the others are between 25 and 35. The Witcher 3 is a quality detailed game with the most big open world in an AAA RPG game, that is what it's going to be, and thinking about that, then 50gb is more logical than 25- 35.

If i'm waiting for 35 gb downloads like DAI or 50 ones like wolfenstein and cod, complaining about 50 for The Witcher 3 is some kind of ......weird.

I'm not sure anyone is complaining, just thinking about what that actually means.
If it's 50, it's 50. Complaining won't download it faster or make it smaller.

I was saying 50 gb, now is confirmed. 50 is totally normal and a new standard, DAI isn't 25, it is 35 gb, all games from this year are 25 - 50 gb, call of duty and wolfenstein are 50 gb, the others are between 25 and 35. The Witcher 3 is a quality detailed game with the most big open world in an AAA RPG game, that is what it's going to be, and thinking about that, then 50gb is more logical than 25- 35.

If i'm waiting for 35 gb downloads like DAI or 50 ones like wolfenstein and cod, complaining about 50 for The Witcher 3 is some kind of ......weird.

Yeah I'm fine with 50 GB, it's clear next gen games are going to be in this download range. I find it annoying that some action games need to be that big when DA:I, a hundred hour semi-open world RPG with dozens of cut scenes and a massive amount of dialog can get it down to 35. With CDPR I know they'll do their best at optimization, so 50 GB actually has me drooling right now. The game is going to be huge. GoG hasn't listed when pre-orders start but if it's at least a day ahead of release I should be good.

Last edited:
never had problem to download on gog or steam or battle net but i will have to wait one more day for download it xd i dl betwen 1.5 mb et 3mb sec rougly 14 -16 hour to download it

About what I expected given the size of TW2. I'm very lucky my download speed from GOG averages around 16~18mb/s. Should only take about an hour or so.

50GB is quite reasonable for a game of this nature and scale. Hoping to see some really nice HD artwork.

Yeah I'm fine with 50 GB, it's clear next gen games are going to be in this download range. I find it annoying that some action games need to be that big when DA:I, a hundred hour semi-open world RPG with dozens of cut scenes and a massive amount of dialog can get it down to 35. With CDPR I know they'll do their best at optimization, so 50 GB actually has me drooling right now. The game is going to be huge. GoG hasn't listed when pre-orders start but if it's at least a day ahead of release I should be good.

You are absolutely right, agree with that line of thought. But, is probably bigger, because more textures, meaning more resolution and/or more variation. We know the game is bigger than DAI (amazing game) but DAI has some kind of generic textures, maybe the witcher is more artistic, would lead to more textures, more variation and that needs more data because the textures are not being reused.

If 50gb is true, with my speed, it will take at least 20 hours to download it...
So what? I am waiting for Witcher 3 since 2011...One day more doesn't make any difference ;)

It will take me 17 DAYS to download that. Takes me 2 mins just to load a webpage -_-

Last edited:
Damn...Is that a dial-up?
But like I said, if you wait for a few years, couple of days or even weeks more does not mean much...

No, I just live in a rural area in a valley. My connection is about 300Kb/s. I usually just do my downloads at school onto a portable HDD and bring them home.

A 17 day download is guaranteed to have errors.

No, I just live in a rural area in a valley. My connection is about 300Kb/s. I usually just do my downloads at school onto a portable HDD and bring them home.

A 17 day download is guaranteed to have errors.

Ouch. I thought mine was bad, but yours is worse.

Top Bottom