Just Made This Deck - Breaks Gwent

+
Just Made This Deck - Breaks Gwent

I just made a deck that breaks Gwent.

This deck ruins the natural flow of Gwent. Was looking over the different cards and it came to me that a resilience buff deck in round one might work.

The deck is designed to make your opponent concede the first round (pass) and this can be done in two ways: #1 play Tibor if you get the coin flip and get to go first, 9/10 times the opponent will concede the round because you're up 23/0. #2 buff their side of the board so they have a lead and think they are safe to concede.

Once they concede you proceed to dimitrium shackle Tibor and buff him a lot. Eventually you'll use Frigilla Vigo to duplicate Tibor and combat engineers to make them both resilient. The result? Like a 150+ resilience carrying over to the second round. Of course you have no cards in hand so now it is up to your opponent to beat your 150. This is of course very easy if they have a scorch, so that is the weakness of the deck.

On the initial draw there are specific cards you need: Tibor Eggebracht (or royal decree), Dimitrium Shackles. Other goods ones to have but aren't entirely necessary because you can dig for them are: Fringilla Vigo, Combat Engineer (you should keep one of these on draw though), and Cahir (for digging for cards you need). The leader should be John Calveit so you can dig for cards you need.

The deck pic is posted.

Here is a video of some games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qeQu14RbqQ&feature=youtu.be

Some of those games in the video I could have won if I had buffed the enemy and made them concede. The thought to do that occurred to me later in the video after I kept playing people that were stubborn to concede when I had a big lead.

Attachments

• photo155000.jpg
    photo155000.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 72
Ah, old school buffing; good old times.

Why aren't you using Letho to protect your unit(s) in the 2nd round? It's still risky, but not many opponents use D-Bomb or have D-Shackles + Scorch.

Ah. Just looked for Letho. That would definitely make it even easier. I don't have that card though. Maybe I'll craft it. I was just putting my only other gold there (kill spy one), but definitely going to replace with Letho.

True. Could always buff one higher than the other then gold only one. It would still be hard to beat in rd2.

Honestly the hardest problem I've had with the deck is playing noobs that don't know when to concede correctly. Like I'm up 23/0 and instead of playing something competitive or conceding they'll play something so unbelievably bad that I have to pass, and instead of taking the round they'll just take the loss when they could have conceded the round before and not used an extra card. They unknowingly throw my deck off because they're just bad.

I think I need to stop playing casual. I've lost a lot of games with this deck simply because people don't know when to pass their turn lol.

Was watching with great sadness a familiar deck against me the other day... the guy managed to buff 3 units for a total of over 200 for Round 3 and came swinging with Letho, satisfied and PROUD of his work while I was looking at Villentrenterxjgsua and them D-Shackles in my hand... was a sad day for the buffing community...

Ahh, the classic "wait and nerf" kill. Also fun to counter with an overrun board on turn one then a lock on their buffed troop when they pass thinking they have you in the next round.

"Bravery, not brains. That's how you win."

Zer033x;n9012340 said:
I think I need to stop playing casual. I've lost a lot of games with this deck simply because people don't know when to pass their turn lol.

I hate to break it to you my dude, but if you've got a deck that ceases to function when your opponent *plays badly* then you've probably not "broken Gwent".

Anyway, this is actually a fairly common, if not terribly effective strategy. Spam a ton of buffs and then add resilience. It works occasionally but tends to be way too unstable due to cards like Scorch and Igni. Taken to this extreme though, it doesn't actually even make sense. I mean lets think this through for a second. The whole idea behind buffs plus resilience is that you get double value for those buffs. You get the value the round you play them plus that value again next round. But your whole plan here is apparently to play buffs *after* your opponent has passed and you've already got the lead. In that case though...well what are you actually accomplishing? I mean, say you play an Ambassador in round 1. You *get* the value in round 1 but it doesn't actually do anything. You've already won. You only actually benefit from it in round 2. But if that's the case...well why not just wait and actually play it round 2? I mean, I suppose you do get "double" value out of Tibor because he's what wins you round 1. But if you have to play a shackles and an engineer to make that happen...I mean you could put up 20+ value just by running other bronze cards and playing them in round 2. So yeah, forget breaking Gwent. This strategy *looks* flashy but doesn't even really accomplish anything.

There are so many more counters than you think, mardroeme, bekkers twisted mirror, igni, coral, avallach, anything with brave, succubus, epidemic, the mage that has epidemic on a stick, probably a lot more just off the top of my head. Not to mention that a proper axeman deck would probably score a higher point lead, gaining 2 points per turn each for 10 turns, or consume monster can probably achieve more than 150 points if you let them keep spamming/growing.

I have already thought of a similar deck archetype to this and considered it to be not viable, but maybe funny to pull out in a meta where you know people aren't so fearful of high drop creatures.

Mmm... Making an "uber" deck in casual, that crashes upon reality in ranked.

:facepalm2:

Axe men love a lot of "fat" units stacked on one row.

Zer033x;n9012260 said:
Honestly the hardest problem I've had with the deck is playing noobs that don't know when to concede correctly.

Well, that's actually not a noobish act, but rather the correct way to attack your deck (which in a similar form was made popular because of the streamer swim). Fringilla Cheeze so heavily relies on the carryover strength that winning the first round becomes mandatory for your opponent as it reduces the value of your carryover to 0 and makes a r3 win very unlikely. Similar to Spell'Tael that also desperately needs to win R1, it is the easiest to beat you by just playing R1 no matter how painful it might seem.

I've seen several people trying to pull off something similar. Of course they always used Letho in round two because that makes way more sense. But in a meta where so many people run d-shackles or at least d-bomb, it's not really a viable approach and without Letho it's even more situational.

Also some people will probably anticipate what you are trying to do (since the core idea is not really a new thing) and work against it to win round 1.

I know when some1 starts with huge tempo play in their very first or second turn that they want R1 despairatly.. I am not gonna give R1 in that cases even if that means I will stay 2 cards behind..

Remember, in Gwent you need to bluff you need to play smart.. if you give away your tactic in you first turn you are going to have a hard time against more skilled opponents..

It doesn't break anything at all, it's just a deck with a win condition based on a combo. If your opponent has nothing to deal with it he's dead, otherwise you are.
Pretty common in card games.

Don't get me wrong, that's a very nice and viable deck. Like others said before me, I suggest to had Letho so you protect your big fatty on turn 2/1, especially since this card is not commonly played, peoples really don't expect him to come down and will wait on their Igni/scorch, most of the time.

Also, bear in mind that, if your opponent has a lot of removal in hand and sniffs the trick, he's gonna take care of your Ambassadors as soon as they come down which would basically be game over for you.

That being said, I'm not surprised that it works, it's well done and for what I understood, this is no net decking and that's something I respect a lot.

Zer033x;n9012340 said:

This statement means you should NOT stop playing casual, you don't got a grip at all mate.

Top Bottom