Just some newbie questions (PC version)...

+
Just some newbie questions (PC version)...

1. When loading a saved game there is a cinematic that plays before the player can control Geralt. Is there a way to disable that cinematic? Its rather long and annoying when loading multiple times.

2. Can the starter swords and gloves be upgraded like the starter chest armor?

1. When loading a saved game there is a cinematic that plays before the player can control Geralt. Is there a way to disable that cinematic? Its rather long and annoying when loading multiple times.
You cannot disable it completely. But in case you have installed the game on an SSD the background loading is probably faster than the cinematic. You can then skip the rest by pressing space (just try it after about 10-20 seconds).

I'm on a regular hard drive but the loading stops well before the cinematic completes and pressing space does nothing. I've got a decent PC so I know that the loading of the game doesn't take as long as the cinematic.

I'm on a regular hard drive but the loading stops well before the cinematic completes and pressing space does nothing. I've got a decent PC so I know that the loading of the game doesn't take as long as the cinematic.

Weird. Well it works for me so I don't know why it doesn't work for you. :/

I'm on a regular hard drive and it's random. Sometimes I can save some seconds, sometimes not. I'd prefer a static screen or one with hints and tips only (just like the loading after the cinematic)

There's an excellent mod on the nexus that removes the initial and loading cinematics. Loading times are very slightly (but only slightly quicker). Also, you get tips during the loading screen.

You're hitting the wrong key.

Plus without an ssd the game's often still loading, whatever you think about your pc. I have one and I can generally skip about halfway through.

Be wary of that mod. The mod that disables them will disable them all. You won't even see them once. There's lots of different ones and they're pretty good at explaining things you might have missed. Yes they get repetitive but hey, it's only 10 seconds... with an ssd.

Real issue: why haven't you bought an ssd yet? They cost peanuts now. I have a very good 256GB I got for less than a c-note.

Ok I think there might be differences between a loading screen and a cinematic. For example, if I am in Velen and take a Fast Travel back to White Orchard, there is a White Orchard specific story like cinematic that plays. Fast Traveling back to Velen incurs the Velen specific story cinematic. Enter and space don't have any effect. I've noticed that if I die and choose to load the last saved game file that it produced what appears to be a loading screen with a tip on it. However, that screen is displayed for a split second and disappears. The Velen specific story cinematic is still incurred. I don't have any mods installed for the game and I have relative fresh installation of the OS.

Unlike slow, low memory consoles I'm running with 16GB of low latency RAM and fast SATA drives so the loading and parsing of game data is quick. If I wanted I could snag another 16GB RAM from my kid's PC to have a full 32GB. Even with 16GB of RAM some games can be run from a RAM disk for better than SSD performance. I have a SSD drive but I don't have Witch 3 installed on it and a SSD is not needed for PC games. SSDs are like having a car that can go as high as 200mph and installing a turbo system just to gain another 35-45mph.

Edit:
Again SSDs are not needed for PC games if one is running on fast SATA drives and optimizes the Windows installation. Even simple installation choices such as having the OS installed on a separate partition or drive from the games and their data will have a large positive impact on performance. If you have enough space in your PC and the pockets to cover it you can further separate game data from game code into separate fast SATA drives.

If you think I'm wrong the biggest saved game file I have thus far is 1,002 KB. Game cache data is anywhere from a few kilobytes to double digit megabytes. Do not think for 1 second that it takes 8-12 seconds to load 40 megabytes of binary data in sequential reads from a fast serial ATA device. Before anyone disagrees please consider both software and hardware caching. Maybe on a slow console in which the manufacturer uses low grade (read: slow as hell hard drives) it would take that long or if the PC in question is running potato-ware.

I'll stop here and not entertain replies on the subject of hardware performance as it will most likely spiral into a holy war in the forum, and I'm not interested in such activity.

I just want to play and enjoy the game without annoying and unnecessary delays and time wasters.

---------- Updated at 02:10 PM ----------

On a separate newbie subject... I've encountered several objects (corpses from battle fields, and random pots/containers on shelves) that glow but don't provide a means of using/accessing. Is this a bug?

Last edited:
For example, if I am in Velen and take a Fast Travel back to White Orchard, there is a White Orchard specific story like cinematic that plays. Fast Traveling back to Velen incurs the Velen specific story cinematic. Enter and space don't have any effect. I've noticed that if I die and choose to load the last saved game file that it produced what appears to be a loading screen with a tip on it. However, that screen is displayed for a split second and disappears. The Velen specific story cinematic is still incurred.

This is the very thing the mod mentioned above removes. Load times are marginally quicker.

On a separate newbie subject... I've encountered several objects (corpses from battle fields, and random pots/containers on shelves) that glow but don't provide a means of using/accessing. Is this a bug?

I have noticed that when I encounter objects or bodies that glow red, but have no interact mechanism, they sometimes belong to a quest that I have not activated yet. I have also encountered red glowing objects that I can interact with, but don't have the active quest, and partially mess up a quest sequence. I have also encountered objects that glow (red or yellow) and nothing happens with the interaction. So, long story short, you will find a variety of dubious interactivity with objects. With a game this large, it's inevitable that you will find quirks in the programming - lovingly called bugs. Go with the flow. I haven't encountered any (nearly 300 hours of game play) that are game breaking. Quest breaking maybe, but not game breaking.

Some lootable objects that glow yellow are just plain glitchy and unlootable.

You mentioned the corpses on the battlefield in White Orchard, I specifically remember there being a horse carcass and a soldiers corpse I wasn't able to loot simply because they were glitchy.

Some shelves higher up on a wall are difficult but can be looted. You might need to stand on another object to kinda 'get on their level' for lack of a better phrase.

Thanks for the replies... I have another question. I found Ibrahim's First Map. I've read the item in the quest items section of my inventory. I understand that reading maps is suppose to start a quest to hunt for the gear. However, there is not new quest. I've tried double-left-clicking, right-clicking, and single left click + the letter E to read the item. Is there something else I'm suppose to do to activate the quest?

Edit:
I also acquired Edwin Greloffs Third map. I right clicked and double clicked the item and after closing the inventory UI I got the quest notification in the game for Edwin's 3rd map. However, still nothing for Ibrahim's 1st map.

Last edited:
Is there something else I'm suppose to do to activate the quest?

Edit:
I also acquired Edwin Greloffs Third map. I right clicked and double clicked the item and after closing the inventory UI I got the quest notification in the game for Edwin's 3rd map. However, still nothing for Ibrahim's 1st map.

Those quests are listed under treasure hunt section in the quest log after reading the map(s) and can be activated from there. Reading 1st, 2nd etc. maps unlocks new quests for different items.

Thanks Liuhu77 but there is nothing listed under the treasure hunt section of the quests (or any other section) for the Edwin Greloff 3rd map. After I read Ibrahim's map it was removed from the quest section of the inventory and I got the quest notification. However, with Edwin's map there is no quest notification and the item still resides in the quest section of the inventory. Is there a limit to the number of quest or quests per section that might prevent me from starting the quest? I doubt there is a level requirement or limit because at level 6 I acquired quests that suggest level 26 and level 32.

Currently under "Treasure Hunt" I have:
- Dowery, level 32 (multiple locations in Velen)
- Scavenger Hunt Griffin Gear, level 11 (Novigrad) <-- started from a chest/cache at Hindhold I believe
- Scavenger Hunt Griffin Gear, level 26 (Skellige) <-- this is the Ibrahim quest

Last edited:
Top Bottom