Just started Fallout 4, What CP could have learned

+
So just started Fallout 4 again for the 20s time or so, never having completed it :D

Which is no issue for me, I get easily distracted doing other things and think that is great. Now Fallout 4 is not a perfect game by any means, but especially one thing it does good, in fact Bethesda and these IP does very well is how they handle the main quest.

In Fallout 4 you have the intro and your kid is stolen, you wake up and basically have no clue how to solve it. So you leave the vault go see the robot, that tell you to go to a nearby city and find answers. Here you meet a group of people that then decide to settle where you used to live. But even here you are not really encourage to push the main quest, in fact the quest you get is to go help another settlement or you can give some drugs to that old lady, will get back to that.

What I like about this, is that it leaves the main quest fairly vague and it encourage exploration, you are instantly distracted by the whole build a settlement thing as well, which I personally enjoy a lot, especially with mods like Sim settlements 2, which allow you or your settlers to build dynamic cities very fast, and really shows how insane some of these mods are.

Had CP gone more into these things, obviously the main story probably couldn't have been told as well as it is, but I think it would have made for a better RPG game, had they done it, with a lot more replayability than a linear story allows for.

So at least to me, since the design of Night city is by far one of the best things about CP, they should have looked at Fallout and Skyrim and even TW3 to some degree and what makes people keep coming back to these. Had they made the main story nonlinear and instead put effort into making Night city feel like a place of opportunities, dynamic and interactive, I think it would have made for a lot better game.

Last I just want to ask a question in regards to drugs, because as I was playing Fallout 4 you are pretty much from the start of the game, given the option to get drugs for that old lady I mentioned above, and there is no doubt that these are drugs given the dialog. This was an issue in CP as far as I know in regards to releasing it certain places. Does that mean that Fallout 4 for instance is not available in Australia and such places? or if it is how did Fallout 4 manage to get around it, anyone knows?

I don’t know if I agree that Fallout 4 narrative doesn’t push towards the main quest.

If I woke up in a unrecognisable world with my child kidnapped by people who also murdered my wife, I wouldn’t start chilling and building settlements with strangers.
I know, but what I mean is, that it doesn't say Go here -> then here etc. I think you are told to pretty much just go to Diamond city and find answers here, but the game does a good job of distracting you, both quest wise but also simply through the exploration of the map.

Whereas in CP you are locked in the starting zone and you have to push the main quest. After a while it opens up and you get access to the side missions. But Fallout 4 simply by the build settlements open up this whole rather huge optional mini game.
Post automatically merged:

Just don't compare the RPG elements of the game to Fallout: new vegas or you'll get mild depression. 4 is less RPG than it should have been.
Or that's how I see it at least.
I agree, the dialog options are not the best design in Fallout 4 for sure, being bound to 4 options all the time, have its limitations, and I don't think that Bethesda will continue that in the next Skyrim or Fallout game, at least I hope not.

Subenu

Forum regular
So we will just neglect the fact that Bethesda has like two huge IPs since the 90s/00s and several different games/or predecessors (e.g. ... Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1-3). Skyrim wasn't the first one and neither was Fallout 4 the first one in their series. (Or throw in Rockstar with their long term IPs and several titles)

So... I can't remember 2076 titles that came before cyberpunk 2077. Wait, there is a PnP basis, but no PC/Console Game which they were able to build upon.

Does this excuse their blunders? No, of course not. But I hope people won't make kind unfair comparisons like this again and again.

So we will just neglect the fact that Bethesda has like two huge IPs since the 90s/00s and several different games/or predecessors (e.g. ... Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1-3). Skyrim wasn't the first one and neither was Fallout 4 the first one in their series. (Or throw in Rockstar with their long term IPs and several titles)

So... I can't remember 2076 titles that came before cyberpunk 2077. Wait, there is a PnP basis, but no PC/Console Game which they were able to build upon.

Does this excuse their blunders? No, of course not. But I hope people won't make kind unfair comparisons like this again and again.
I'm not sure comparing games to other games in unfair. We are just making observations here, not attacking anyone.
We have to make these comparisons or games will stop improving.

Rddc

Forum regular
I don’t know if I agree that Fallout 4 narrative doesn’t push towards the main quest.

If I woke up in a unrecognisable world with my child kidnapped by people who also murdered my wife, I wouldn’t start chilling and building settlements with strangers.
Not so much that it doesn't "push towards the main quest" it does. The decision to do it is still yours to make, Same with Skyrim. But you can go any number of directions if you so choose. Not so with CP. You are locked into the main questline until "The Heist". In some cases literally locked within a small space. Your apartment building after "The Rescue" and the entrance to the hotel beginning "The Heist".

Subenu

Forum regular
I'm not sure comparing games to other games in unfair. We are just making observations here, not attacking anyone.
We have to make these comparisons or games will stop improving.

Mh.. my bad, I guess my point got lost on track.
I didn't want to say DONT COMPARE... I wanted to state that all those compared games (Fallou/Skyrim) already had a long history of development and polishing (in its own way) together with lots of stuff needed to further "improve" the latest games, as in comparison cyberpunk is the very first IP from a studio that did fantasy beforehand. And furthermore it's almost just been about a month after the very release.

JUST STARTED FALLOUT 4, WHAT CP COULD HAVE LEARNED

That might be the most depressing title I've ever read. Fallout 1&2 are two of my all time favorite games, I hated Fallout 4 with a passion. Knowing Fallout 4 is a better game and RPG than CP2077 is what I can only imagine must be like what Superman would feel like after eating a box of Kryptonite O's with Kryptonite Milk for breakfast.

download (41).jpg

JUST STARTED FALLOUT 4, WHAT CP COULD HAVE LEARNED

That might be the most depressing title I've ever read. Fallout 1&2 are two of my all time favorite games, I hated Fallout 4 with a passion. Knowing Fallout 4 is a better game and RPG than CP2077 is what I can only imagine must be like what Superman would feel like after eating a box of Kryptonite O's with Kryptonite Milk for breakfast.

View attachment 11124863

Fallout 4 is not even remotely a better game than CP 2077. Fallout 4 wasn't even good back when it launched, let alone today. It has a pretty horrible main story, completely disjointed side quests. Not to mention absolute lack of variety in it's quests. The quests in Fallout 4 are at the level of GIGs in CP2077. The shooting mechanics are worse as well and I honestly struggle to think of anything Fallout 4 did well. It was buggy at launch too, it had only 1 good DLC too.

Fallout 4 was panned pretty hard when it launched, it's a straight downgrade compared to Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 for that matter.

Fallout 4 is not even remotely a better game than CP 2077. Fallout 4 wasn't even good back when it launched, let alone today. It has a pretty horrible main story, completely disjointed side quests. Not to mention absolute lack of variety in it's quests. The quests in Fallout 4 are at the level of GIGs in CP2077. The shooting mechanics are worse as well and I honestly struggle to think of anything Fallout 4 did well. It was buggy at launch too, it had only 1 good DLC too.

Fallout 4 was panned pretty hard when it launched, it's a straight downgrade compared to Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 for that matter.
Like I said, I hated Fallout 4 with a passion and I still do. It is however a better game than CP2077 which can barely be said to be a game at this point.

Like I said, I hated Fallout 4 with a passion and I still do. It is however a better game than CP2077 which can barely be said to be a game at this point.

In what way is Fallout 4 a better game than CP2077? I don't understand how anyone who has played CP2077 can make this statement.

In what way is Fallout 4 a better game than CP2077? I don't understand how anyone who has played CP2077 can make this statement.

Personally I believe there's a bit of exaggeration going on. Choosing F4 to make the point, seeing as it was panned for much the same reasons, (buggy, not an rpg, lacking features etc) seems a little desperate.

Like I said, I hated Fallout 4 with a passion and I still do. It is however a better game than *CP2077 which can barely be said to be a game at this point.*

I'm definitely not denying that CP2077 is heavily flawed game and if this is truly your opinion, alright, but statements like this makes me feel more and more that people are being very overdramatic about this game.

Personally I believe there's a bit of exaggeration going on. Choosing F4 to make the point, seeing as it was panned for much the same reasons, (buggy, not an rpg, lacking features etc) seems a little desperate.
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of desperation going on :/

Fallout 4 is a sack of crap, whatever CDPR have done, I'm glad it doesn't remotely resemble Fallout 4.

Agree with @Hexagon-Sun its not about making unfair comparisons. But in games like these they copy ideas from each other, and CP did that as well and nothing wrong in that, if something works and players like it, then they should do it and improve on it.

I personally just think that CP would have been better off copying the Fallout design than that of Mass effect, if they didn't intend for a lot of choice matter content, which they unfortunately said they would. Because the Fallout design evidently allow for a lot of replayability whereas Mass effect doesn't, in my opinion, but it does tell a very good story for that one playthrough.

It highly depends on who you ask, for me having to play the same content for 30 hours to get a different ending, is not very encouraging to me, as endings in these games are not particular important to me. Not even in Mass effect it was, I much more prefer the sandbox do what you want.

So I do understand people that enjoy following a main story and see where it ends, but as I said I have played Fallout 4, and even Skyrim more times than I can count and never completed any of them. And maybe it's because I don't really like non open world games that much, some does it better than others. But when a game is like a corridor and you have to walk down it, because it's the only way, then they become a little bit boring to me. And to me main quests as in CP or Mass effect does that, so the story have to be extremely good to keep my attention, which both of these does.

In CP its the side missions that does it for me and not the main quest. But overall it's a good story, but the fact that no other functionality is in the game, makes it feel like sort of a corridor, and Bethesda solved most of this through allowing mods, but also the expansion that let you build your own robots, that you can build your own little cities etc. That really makes them cool in my opinion, because for the most part, voice acting in Fallout and Skyrim are extremely bad in my opinion, and sound like people reading off a script, having no clue what universe or situation they are in.

I disagree, because the main character doesn't know how much time it passed since their child was kidnapped. There's a huge urgency to find it, and the same dissonance when you play the side quests or build settlements instead

Top Bottom