Just starting - any known bugs I should keep in mind?

+
Just starting - any known bugs I should keep in mind?

Hello!
Recently I've started playing Witcher 3 with a friend. Each kept his own saves and all, but it wasn't very comfortable, so finally I purchased it myself and started from scratch.

In my first playtrough, I got to Novigrad. Long before that, I ran into the bugged Abandoned Site in south-eastern White Orchard: a shrine that could not be completed after leaving White Orchard, because a bug prevented any enemies from spawning there after a main story event. It seemed strange to me, because the game was patched to 1.11, and the notes for that patch say that that particular site should be fixed, but it wasn't.

Now, in my new playtrough the first thing I did is clear that site so I can get 100% completion in White Orchard. Done, that's in the past now. But, I'm still kinda worried: are there any other known bugs out there that have similar effects? Specifically, ones that prevent the player from completing clear objectives, be they optional or not. Because I want to be able to do everything, and if there are other bugs like this one, I want to be prepared.

Also, no spoilers please =)

Thanks in advance!

All you need is to meditate near the shrine and the last ghoul will show up and you can complete the quest, clear the abandoned site and get the reward.
There is no issue in the game that a simple save/reload will not fix, in my experience and that is some 1,500 hours playing the game. Quick Save often, make hard saves to establish where you are in the story. Save files in TW3 are very small and do not take much space. You can also rename the save files so you know what/where they refer to.

That only works if you do it before leaving WO for the first time. If you go to the meeting in Vizima without having cleared that abandoned site, it gets bugged beyond help.

From your first playthrough, you know where the critical point is in White Orchard, when you go "on tracks" and will need to leave. I'd suggest that just before you reach that point, you check against one of the published walkthroughs (or ask here again).

I'm not aware of anything in White Orchard other than the Abandoned Site, but checking against a list would give you absolute confidence that you hadn't missed anything.

But there are other points in the game where certain quests or events become unavailable because of something you do elsewhere, not necessarily because of bugs but also as part of deliberate design of choice and consequences. It wouldn't be possible to go into these in detail without spoilers, but if that's a problem for you, you may be best using a walkthrough generally.

It's pretty bug free at this point but just so you're aware the auto-saves disappear after a while.so it's wise to make a manual save every 2h or so at least. If you nothing else you might want it for replay purposes later.

I will say one thing though, at one point you're going to go to a estate where one whoreson jr is hiding. And when you leave this estate make you get a cut-scene to go visit a certain king on a certain boat. If you don't get this cut-scene reload because you'll be cut off from lots of content later on.

Also try to do the side-quests in order according to level before moving on with the main quests. Completing main quests can lock you out from a lot of the side quests. The contracts you can do anytime.

Last edited:

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
Hello!
Recently I've started playing Witcher 3 with a friend. Each kept his own saves and all, but it wasn't very comfortable, so finally I purchased it myself and started from scratch.

In my first playtrough, I got to Novigrad. Long before that, I ran into the bugged Abandoned Site in south-eastern White Orchard: a shrine that could not be completed after leaving White Orchard, because a bug prevented any enemies from spawning there after a main story event. It seemed strange to me, because the game was patched to 1.11, and the notes for that patch say that that particular site should be fixed, but it wasn't.

Now, in my new playtrough the first thing I did is clear that site so I can get 100% completion in White Orchard. Done, that's in the past now. But, I'm still kinda worried: are there any other known bugs out there that have similar effects? Specifically, ones that prevent the player from completing clear objectives, be they optional or not. Because I want to be able to do everything, and if there are other bugs like this one, I want to be prepared.

Also, no spoilers please =)

Thanks in advance!

Nope! All good :smile:

From your first playthrough, you know where the critical point is in White Orchard, when you go "on tracks" and will need to leave. I'd suggest that just before you reach that point, you check against one of the published walkthroughs (or ask here again).

I'm not aware of anything in White Orchard other than the Abandoned Site, but checking against a list would give you absolute confidence that you hadn't missed anything.

But there are other points in the game where certain quests or events become unavailable because of something you do elsewhere, not necessarily because of bugs but also as part of deliberate design of choice and consequences. It wouldn't be possible to go into these in detail without spoilers, but if that's a problem for you, you may be best using a walkthrough generally.

Oh, yeah, sure, I don't mind quests getting locked because of decisions that need to be made. Actually, I'm looking forward to that. It's just the bugs what worried me, but the replies I got here were very helpful in that matter. Thank, you, all =)

I haven't found that many bugs (some yes, but nothing really hazard), but you should keep one thing in mind. You have option to create many save files, USE IT and use this option wisely!

Don't use all your save slots during one quest. If something (bug, wrong decision, anything) goes wrong with that quest, you can't start it over.

I use one or two slots to constant saving my game. After an hour or something, I change another save slot and do the same. I'm still keeping one older version save. And I try to keep few other older saves from here and there, 'cause IF something major goes wrong, I don't have to start all over again. This is a very long game. And when I complete this game, I keep that last save safe when I'm starting a new game. We don't know when Blood And Wine is coming out, so in case I can't finish my third game in time, I can play BaW with my already completed save.

Patch 1.10 was kinda gamebraking for me, but it was the only big problem, and that didn't happen to everybody. After about two weeks and 1.11 patch everything was fine again.

There has been a couple of times when I needed to load an earlier save, sometimes a little bug, sometimes "wrong" decision I made, sometimes I tried to do something underleveled or something else... So keep always several saves from several points and you do just fine :)

There seems to be a bug with the Bear School Scavenger Hunt quest. Do not worry too much about it for now; but once you are on the Skellige Isles: try and search the ruins of castle Tuiserach before you explore a lot and randomly come across any of the basic Bear School sword diagrams.

Else you may find yourself locked in the ruins with no regular means to escape. There is a workaround for this that you can find easily via Google, but glitching myself into the boundaries of the landscape and diving through a mountain until I hit the edge of the world so that I could fasttravel out of the predicament felt... awkward to be sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom