Karma System?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma System?

Or something similiar atleast.I would like the ability to affect the city around you by performing certain actions(Killing cops,psychos,helping cops,etc.)

No, thank you. Artificial systems where you get "points" for good/bad actions are ruining RPGs these days. I'd rather have my choices affect the world, just like in the Witcher games. I don't need a game that rates the morality of my actions with points.

Jayve

Forum regular
No, thank you. Artificial systems where you get "points" for good/bad actions are ruining RPGs these days. I'd rather have my choices affect the world, just like in the Witcher games. I don't need a game that rates the morality of my actions with points.

No morality system.

Just logical consequences.

View attachment 411
I liked the karma system in Fallout NV but that´s it. Don´t do it in C2077. Show us how our action influence our surroundings, the city around us, the people and the story. And not another nice scale that goes from bad to good to explain us how good or bad we are!

Attachments

• tumblr_lr223uqDRg1qk67t7.jpg
    tumblr_lr223uqDRg1qk67t7.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 60
What about not karma but respect points ? Mean when you play as a cop or loner you gain respect points for accomplishing the task. If you complete mission\quest in special way you gain some respect and acquire more complicated quest or special access to the black market, data market etc. If you lose respect though you will gain some negative effects in storyline\gameplay. Similar thing was in 1st witcher. (when you kill peasants at night, local authorities sent assassin to "pacify" you)

What about not karma but respect points ? Mean when you play as a cop or loner you gain respect points for accomplishing the task. If you complete mission\quest in special way you gain some respect and acquire more complicated quest or special access to the black market, data market etc. If you lose respect though you will gain some negative effects in storyline\gameplay. Similar thing was in 1st witcher. (when you kill peasants at night, local authorities sent assassin to "pacify" you)

But that's still receiving some "points" for being good/bad. I prefer all the consequences to be deeply buried and happening long after you made your decisions. I want to be encouraged to make decisions based on MY OWN sense of "morality" rather than being like "mmm, if I kill this guy I will probably get more respect points"... It's what CDPR is famous for and I hope it stays that way. Also, I hope they stick to the moral ambiguity from the Witcher games, so there are no good or bad decisions, no clearly positive or negative outcomes.

That's the strength of CDPR's games and a factor that differentiates them from other devs/franchises.

please no karma system in fallout 3 if you let that nuke explode and destroyed megaton and if you did a few good things to get your karma positive again... i always found that odd you killed a bunch of people for no good reason but your karma is positive so everyone forgets about it... :/ kinda weird...

The way the witcher does it is better if you piss of a bunch of people and make them your enemies they will generally stay your enemies...

A morality system leads to black and white situations where each action is already morally prevalued regardless of the point of view. I don't think such would fit in a game like this.

A reputation system (for each individual group), however, could work rather well (if it's implemented in a thoughtful manner that takes all of your actions into account at all times rather than being just a slider where the "good" negates the "bad" and vice versa).

Reputation could work in some ways but not as a in your face kinda of meter thats say you got 50 points with this guys, you need 60 to get special gods from them. I would see it as more of hidden consequences of your actions with that particular group, sort you've helped us out with that problem, we gonna throw you a discount

Well said.

RPG aiming at maturity just can't afford to have karma system. Even if CD Projekt actually manages to make a good one; which doesn't punish you for being bad, it is still a bad desing decision created to hide how a game world fails to react adequately and show you, so the designers have to tell you how bad or good you are behaving.

But actually it's a deeper problem often connected to the main story. There are games in which you can instantly tell which is the 'good' choice and the 'bad' choice. And this actually downgrades the experience to 'Hey, I want to be the white knight". Or total badass. Doesn't really matter, these are childish decisions that totally take me out of the story because I just don't find these realistic. And without being realistic they can't immerse. Just to be clear, by 'realistic' I don't mean our word, but something with it's own inner logic; something I can believe exists. The human mind is just too sophisticated for such black/white stuff.

I am saying all this because it's connected to the karma system. One can't give you points for being good or bad when there is no clear good side, which is something necessary for a story to be mature. If there is going to be a karma system, CD Projekt would have to sacrifice a lot of story complexity. And story complexity is the main reason many of us are looking forward to this game. Just try to imagine Witcher 1 or 2 with a karma system.

Agree with you guys. C&C system in Witcher and Witcher2 was amassing, i want similar choices and consequences in cyberpunk with no good or bad option only logical grey options.

most likely there won't be a karma system, long time back they had said in an interview they don't want 'good/evil actions' with immediate outcomes and certain rewards for either choice, which I agree with.

Reputation could work in some ways but not as a in your face kinda of meter thats say you got 50 points with this guys, you need 60 to get special gods from them. I would see it as more of hidden consequences of your actions with that particular group, sort you've helped us out with that problem, we gonna throw you a discount

Rep would be nice as it is part of the original PnP. It would also help keep some of the predators (gangers, hostile edgerunners, corporates,.. ) off your back.

Voitan said:
No morality system.

Just logical consequences.

Definitely no morality system. Consequences for your actions is a must. You might not have enough cyber/implants in you to start the psychosis, but if you decide to go on a killing rampage, the game should definitely be calling the CSWAT team to deal with you. Not to mention if you start messing with a corp (especially one from Arasaka or Militech), you won't have much time left to breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom