Katakan useless

+
Katakan useless

How is it possible that the Katakan is the same as the Ghoul but with 2 more points but it's a silver card? Why would CDPR kill this card? Was it too strong? What's its utility now? Who would sacrifice a silver card for a stronger Ghoul?

But with Katakan you can actually choose which card you want to banish, instead of relying on RNG.

When the vran was given a 2 turn consume timer on-board the katakan's 3 turn graveyard consume timer seemed odd (although I'd argue the vran should never have a consume ability based on lore) I think Katakan should go back to how it was and vran should be rethunk.

Esclive;n7731120 said:
How is it possible that the Katakan is the same as the Ghoul but with 2 more points but it's a silver card? Why would CDPR kill this card? Was it too strong? What's its utility now? Who would sacrifice a silver card for a stronger Ghoul?

Ghoul is random, Katakan chooses. That is why it is far, far better.

Ghoul you need a specific setup to absorb exactly the card you want and your opponent can always poison the well against you by having a bunch of low value cards in their graveyard except in the case of specific turn 1 plays.

Katakan can selectively choose the highest power creature in either graveyard to absorb or ruin your opponents ressurection tactics by banishing a high value creature from their graveyard. Often both at the same time.

I agree with the rest here. Katakan may be different but it is a lot more viable now.

I agree Katakan really improved its ability, since it eats sometimes my Champion of Champions in the graveyard, reaching sky rocket values that would never achieve with the previous version. It does not look as a bad card for me at all.

Chaob_N7;n7731230 said:
I'd argue the vran should never have a consume ability based on lore
@Chaob_N7
Based on lore? :D I would love to know what Lore are you referring to. To my knowledge we know basically nothing about Vrans. Mainly because Sapkowski simply came up with them as some lizard humanoid race for one single story and then never mentioned them again. So anything we may know about them is from Witcher games (still isnt much) and is purely from imagination of CDPR and so anything they say in this matter shall be lore :) .
Talking about lore purity. How about Caretaker? Last time I checked he was caretaker not carpenter, so how exactly is he "resurrecting" boats and siege weapons? :D

titles like this bug me. you shouldn't say its useless. It'd be more accurate to say its inferior to ghoul or sub optimal given its silver tier, but useless implies it serves no function. it does, its just that there are other cards that do the same thing and you can have more of them.

I don't play monsters at all, but on paper I would agree that katakan needs to be improved to make it worth a silver slot

NlelithZ44;n7731180 said:
But with Katakan you can actually choose which card you want to banish

TriforceDragon;n7731250 said:
Ghoul is random, Katakan chooses.

Could you send me a screenshot of the ENGLISH card description of the Katakan? Because I have my game in french and it's specified that it's random (aléatoire). Maybe it's a mistake from the translator.

http://www.casimages.com/i/170209055044130115.jpg.html

Because if it's a mistake, I have to send a bug report to CDPR.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, the fact you can choose a unit from BOTH graveyards is very strong. If an opponent has a nasty unit buried, you can gobble it up.

I do want to mention one more thing, people haven't pointed out: Caretaker vs Katakan. Many players like Caretaker. Most of the time they use it to get a big unit back. In this regard, Katakan is actually better. Caretaker is only better if you can trigger a unit's ability. Considering both are situational but Katakan is a silver epic instead of a golden legendary, I think it's a pretty strong card.

4RM3D;n7732300 said:
As others have pointed out, the fact you can choose a unit from BOTH graveyards is very strong.

As I said above, I created this thread because in the french version of the game, there's the word "random" mentioned in the card. Sorry, I didn't have the good informations. :/ But could you send me the english version of the card so I can inform the devs about that?

TheShift;n7732530 said:
It's randomness comes from either graveyard

So that's mean you can choose which graveyard to target but not which card? The description is really misleading then beacause it literaly says "Bannish a random unit (gold card excluded) from one graveyard or the other and absorb his strenght".

TheShift;n7732730 said:
it randomly chooses the graveyard,you get to pick any card

NOPE ! Like 4RM3D said, I just tested it vs bot and I had acces to both graveyard units. I'll send a bug report to CDPR.

Thank you all for your help. This thread can be closed.

TheShift;n7732730 said:
Agreed...

it randomly chooses the graveyard,you get to pick any card

ummm, as far as i can tell so far from playing the new Katakan, there is no randomness involved. When you play it, it shows ALL eligible creatures from BOTH graveyards. You choose what creature to consume.

Charm_quark2;n7731760 said:
@Chaob_N7
Based on lore? :D I would love to know what Lore are you referring to. To my knowledge we know basically nothing about Vrans. Mainly because Sapkowski simply came up with them as some lizard humanoid race for one single story and then never mentioned them again. So anything we may know about them is from Witcher games (still isnt much) and is purely from imagination of CDPR and so anything they say in this matter shall be lore :) .
Talking about lore purity. How about Caretaker? Last time I checked he was caretaker not carpenter, so how exactly is he "resurrecting" boats and siege weapons? :D

Well in the case of the Caretaker, during the fight at the Von Everec Mansion, he does keep resurrecting souls which he then uses to heal himself up, which does tie into the resurrection ability.

Questioning Medic's ability to resurrect non living beings is opening a can of worms, all of them can do it, from Shani to Priestess'.

Top Bottom