Katana Gameplay (looks smoother and cleaner and better, but still needs work)

+

Do you notice any improvement? What do you think would make it better?

• Total voters
I have to say, it looks much better than the previous katana footage we have seen, probably because the video is higher quality. It does seem to take place in the same exact scene or situation and place as the old footage, but just looks a bit better. It still feels like it needs more improvement, and the thing that bothers me the most is that we can't see the katana blocking bullets and suspending them in the magnetic field-bullet shield.

What does everyone think?

It seems that katana handling gets better as the player character gets better at handling a melee weapon. Prolly that player invested more into melee skill. So, no issue whatsoever, it's an RPG thing.
Maybe, but I am completely unsure if that's the only thing that changed. I feel like CDPR adjusted and improved it a little, and I feel like we are still watching a very new low level no sword skill katana character.

V holding the katana in one hand looks weird, I have to say.
He doesn't, look closer to swing animation. And different swords require difference stances, it's not 2002 and not Morrowind when every stick in hand is in one position looking at the sky with acute end.

He doesn't, look closer to swing animation. And different swords require difference stances, it's not 2002 and not Morrowind when every stick in hand is in one position looking at the sky with acute end.

I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm saying it looks weird. I should probably add "to me".

EDIT:
It's probably the perspective - the hand is too close to the eyes, and it looks like V is holding the katana 30 centimetres in front of his face.

Last edited:
It takes place in the same place and situation because it's the exact same video that journalists released a week ago.

I find it "ok" - I have no issues with V animations during melee combat. But I think that blade impact on enemies needs some more work.
The katana completely lacks the series of animations for hitting something. Same for every other melee footage shown so far. Devs need to add it like Santa Monica did for the last god of war (or at least the hit stop):

It took me forever (10 minutes) to find it.

P.S. The animation for the enemy head being chopped off is terrible, same for the chopped head being animated like a football.

Last edited:
I have to say, it looks much better than the previous katana footage we have seen, probably because the video is higher quality. It does seem to take place in the same exact scene or situation and place as the old footage, but just looks a bit better. It still feels like it needs more improvement, and the thing that bothers me the most is that we can't see the katana blocking bullets and suspending them in the magnetic field-bullet shield.

What does everyone think?

I don't see difference: still no step when attacking, and still strange kamae (guard/position) from the places of hand compared to the camera view.
I wish I could see this in 3rd person just to exactly see what's wrong (or see V in front of a mirror would works too).

While I hope they iterate a bit on how melee feels in this game, I also understand that the katana is not the only weapon they had to focus on during development. Resource juggling is a real thing and you can't focus on one thing when you're building an RPG of this scale, if this was a melee-only focused game, then my expectations would be much higher. There is a certain point when "perfect" has to be replaced with "good enough".

I don't see difference: still no step when attacking, and still strange kamae (guard/position) from the places of hand compared to the camera view.
I wish I could see this in 3rd person just to exactly see what's wrong (or see V in front of a mirror would works too).
check the video I just posted, it's a matter of animations.
There is a certain point when "perfect" has to be replaced with "good enough".
As long as it is indeed "good enough".

check the video I just posted, it's a matter of animations.

I wasn't actually speaking about feeling of hits (and I don't think there should really have one, as with a katana you slice things, you don't hack them, so it's not really a problem for me), I don't ask as much, just about looking remotely like when I actually used my katana: most cut are accompanied by most of the body (and usually a step) what we call kikentai, and hand placement seems very high and way too muxh in the field of view.

For example at the beginning of the video V seems to use a basic kamae, but using that one should makes hands almost out of FoV and the end of the katana shoud be at eye level about where the crossair is.

For a studio that designed three games centered on sword-based combat, I'm surprised at how bad the melee is. The Witcher games all had beautiful attack animations. The problem is, CDPR had also claimed that pure melee is a viable build in the game, and it plays a strong role in the PnP. They really need to get it up to scratch or people won't bother with melee at all.

Last edited:
For a studio that designed three games centered on sword-based combat, I'm surprised at how bad the melee is. The Witcher games all had beautiful attack animations. The problem is, CDPR had also claimed that pure melee is a viable build in the game, and it plays a strong role in the PnP. They really need to get it up to scratch or people won't bother with melee at all.

I agree with u 100%.

For a studio that designed three games centered on sword-based combat, I'm surprised at how bad the melee is. The Witcher games had beautiful attack animations. The problem is, CDPR had also claimed that pure melee is a viable build in the game, and it plays a strong role in the PnP. They really need to get it up to scratch or people won't bother with melee at all.

Yea, this was exactly the point i was explaining about meele combat in the "Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay?" thread.

MFW I'm puzzled and look down to my left, at you, to my right, and ...

TW3 combat animation had the exact same problem of no difference between hitting or missing target.

Top Bottom