Katana Gameplay (looks smoother and cleaner and better, but still needs work)

+

Do you notice any improvement? What do you think would make it better?

• Total voters
MFW I'm puzzled and look down to my left, at you, to my right, and ...'m puzzled and look down to my left, at you, to my right, and ...

TW3 combat animation had the exact same problem of no difference between hitting or missing target.
Hmm. Not in my experience. If you were positioned right, he'd hit the target. If you were too far away he'd try and miss. Anyway, I'm more talking about animations than hitboxes. We haven't seen enough of 2077 to really analyze the latter.

Edit- if you're talking about the hit stop effect mentioned in your video, I see what you mean but I don't think that's required for good melee. Many games don't have it and in some systems it wouldn't be appropriate.

Hmm. Not in my experience. If you were positioned right, he'd hit the target. If you were too far away he'd try and miss. Anyway, I'm more talking about animations than hitboxes. We haven't seen enough of 2077 to really analyze the latter.

Edit- if you're talking about the hit stop effect mentioned in your video, I see what you mean but I don't think that's required for good melee. Many games don't have it and in some systems it wouldn't be appropriate.
I was talking about animations, not hitboxes. Hitboxes were fine.
Wticher 3 combat was extremely bad, but CP77 seems worse.
extremely is excessive. it worked but was far from the excellence.

On one hand it does look... underwhelming (but I am curious about that stuff regarding V performing fancier animations as their skill goes up). But on the other I typically find myself enjoying other aspects more when it comes to RPGs. While TW3 combat wasn't breaking any molds I wouldn't call it necessarily bad either. it did it's job. My bigger issue was with the lack of cool skills/perks in that game (somewhat mitigated later by mutations) which is something they're avoiding in CP2077 with cyberware and perks it seems :ok:

And I've put up with combat I didn't necessarily enjoy in RPGs since... well... forever really. Morrowind, the KotOR games, VTMB, New Vegas, old Fallous.... many others.

Come to think of it I can't recall any RPG where I though "wow, the combat in this is amazing". Maybe Dark Messiah but I don't think I would call that an RPG. It always ranged from "its garbage, I hate it but I'm going to keep playing because the game has other aspects I find really enjoyable" to "eh, it's sufficiently fun" (Witcher 3 is in this category).

For example I absolutely hated the combat in TW1, I thought it was a boring glorified QTE. I put the game on the easiest difficulty so I don't have to put up with it too much. Still one of my all time favorite games. VTMB is probably in my top 3 favorite games and its combat is a pile of garbage.

That being said, the shooting looked fun, nothing mindblowing but pretty decent overall. So if melee is that bad I can always just use guns instead because Reflex governs blades and rifles so I can keep both options open for myself :shrug:

@fridgeband
but V already can move with sonic speed and have super reflexes while using Kerenzikov. why would katana V need some shields to deflect bullets?

It's the same footage and looks as bad as before I don't know why you are even thinking it's better.

It's a higher quality video probably. Aside from that, yeah, it looks like the exact same footage.

While I hope they iterate a bit on how melee feels in this game, I also understand that the katana is not the only weapon they had to focus on during development. Resource juggling is a real thing and you can't focus on one thing when you're building an RPG of this scale, if this was a melee-only focused game, then my expectations would be much higher. There is a certain point when "perfect" has to be replaced with "good enough".

Sorry, AAA game. Even though running around wildly swinging a sword about probably won't be the focus the game should still put effort into the animations (and combat systems across the board, really). Both the idle and attack animations in the footage do not impress. The former doesn't look like the way one would hold the weapon while running and jumping. Even a novice. The latter doesn't display enough body movement.

One of the better implementations of first person melee combat in a game classified as an RPG I can think of is Kingdom Come Deliverance. The combat in that game wasn't perfect (multi-opponent combat sticks out like a sore thumb because the target lock mechanics are bad) but it was pretty good. The animations there at the very least try to make sense. Interestingly, it did a respectable job of layering character ability on top of action combat mechanics too (if Henry sucks at using a sword the player was going to have a rough time with one).

If we're going to throw around words like immersion and innovation those characteristics are expected. A regression isn't. For an RPG or otherwise. Here is to hoping the animations aren't in their finished state yet....

but V already can move with sonic speed and have super reflexes while using Kerenzikov. why would katana V need some shields to deflect bullets?

Fun fact, many firearms can make bullets travel faster than sound.

The katana completely lacks the series of animations for hitting something. Same for every other melee footage shown so far. Devs need to add it like Santa Monica did for the last god of war (or at least the hit stop):

Yep, its obviously work in progress. Still, combat is not CDPR's forte. I expect combat to be "decent enough".
My biggest issue with katana gameplay shown was with the silly way of carrying the sword, aka the idle pose. Frown.

Guest 4406876

Yep, its obviously work in progress. Still, combat is not CDPR's forte. I expect combat to be "decent enough".
My biggest issue with katana gameplay shown was with the silly way of carrying the sword, aka the idle pose. Frown.
5 months to release and still mechanics to be done basically, and that looks close to a placeholder, it seems wierd to me. Considering we didn't see anything regarding gameplay yet and shooting seemed to suffer from the same lack of effort as melee combat, I wonder if they spent all these years of development shooting MOCAP and handcrafting quests and the city forgetting about gameplay.(still shooting is something you need to try youself but man, those hit reactions and AI sucked). I don't know if in 5 months they're able to actually make the game . I'd gladly prefer another huge delay and get gameplay done right as well. But that's just me. Looks like they didn't put the same effort in those areas as well, and with that I mean the actual game.

Last edited by a moderator:
That gameplay was pretty bad. CD said that V was a low-level tier so V being bad at using a katana makes sense. Even suprising was that he survived using the katana for the first time. Not many people make it on their first try from what I saw. Anyways, I didn't get to see a high-level tier using a katana yet but I get the feeling it would still be bad considering not many people liked the melee combat.

@fridgeband
Because we do not have unlimited Kereznikov. :shrug:
I hope the modding community eventually creates a mod that turns Kereznikov into ZA WARUDO!!!!!
Post automatically merged:

For a studio that designed three games centered on sword-based combat, I'm surprised at how bad the melee is. The Witcher games all had beautiful attack animations. The problem is, CDPR had also claimed that pure melee is a viable build in the game, and it plays a strong role in the PnP. They really need to get it up to scratch or people won't bother with melee at all.
I did not like the attack animations or any of the combat from witcher 3. Just saying.

I got clickbaited :disapprove:
How?

Wticher 3 combat was extremely bad, but CP77 seems worse.
I agree witcher 3 combat was extremely bad, but I do think it's better in Cyberpunk2077, although, it needs to be a lot better in my opinion.

I was talking about animations, not hitboxes. Hitboxes were fine.
extremely is excessive. it worked but was far from the excellence.
I disagree. The hitboxes felt unreliable, and I personally wouldn't say that it worked. It was a nightmare for me. It was so clunky. Enemies too easily interrupted geralts attacks, and even somehow tripped him up without touching his hitbox.

Last edited:
The title originally read new katana gameplay and it's the exact same footage we've seen before.
Honestly it looks different to me, but I did mention it had some similarities which made me somewhat unsure, but It's still exciting, because there is at least better quality in the video, but at the end of the day I'm not 100% sure if it is the same with better quality, or a slightly updated version that they just had the player run through in the exact same order as the previous one? That's what really gets me thinking. Is it somehow just a controlled path for testing purposes? That's my best guess and could explain the similarities, IF it's a different video.

Honestly it looks different to me, but I did mention it had some similarities which made me somewhat unsure, but It's still exciting, because there is at least better quality in the video, but at the end of the day I'm not 100% sure if it is the same with better quality, or a slightly updated version that they just had the player run through in the exact same order as the previous one? That's what really gets me thinking. Is it somehow just a controlled path for testing purposes? That's my best guess and could explain the similarities, IF it's a different video.
CDPR sent out videos to publications that they could use to showcase the game. This is not footage recorded by the journalists and youtubers that played the game, it's footage that CDPR has recorded and sent them so they can show off something. There's only one blue grip katana video and and it's the same one posted everywhere.

CDPR sent out videos to publications that they could use to showcase the game. This is not footage recorded by the journalists and youtubers that played the game, it's footage that CDPR has recorded and sent them so they can show off something. There's only one blue grip katana video and and it's the same one posted everywhere.
Why would they send out old footage again? I doubt that. I'm not sure about this. There must be some other explanation. :giveup:

Because we do not have unlimited Kereznikov. :shrug:

Ok now I just gotta know. Is it "kereZNIkov" or "kereNZIkov"?
Because I think I've seen plenty of conflicting information all the way from the 2020 books.
Can we have someone official confirm the correct spelling?

Personally Im a fan of the former.

Top Bottom