Katana Gameplay (looks smoother and cleaner and better, but still needs work)

+

Do you notice any improvement? What do you think would make it better?

• Total voters
Well, I don't know about you but when I criticize C2077 melee I'm talking about V's melee, not the NPC's.
I could too, to a much lesser extend, but i'm not.

I commented about video you posted, how enemy there are not really that active and melee doesn't look super interesting.

Melee in CP2077 don't look good, it need work, i hope they fix it by the time game come out.

It's only for the duration of the attack, like for about one second.
1 second where the game takes camera control away from you in combat sound like a bad combat system. Even if it's for a quarter of a second it's bad IMHO.

Or you are telling me that you plan one moving your camera during attack.
Yes, absolutely, I do intend to move my camera during attacks. Because if an enemy dodges or moves I could maybe react and readjust my attack.

And why are you speaking about convos? I don't see how it relates to melee.
Because it's weird to me to make the camera freedom during convos a selling point, being able to look at things, people, walk away etc. and then have restrictive camera movements where it matters the most in a first person game with combat sequences: combat.

I'd expect the animations to reflect these type of things if they're going to display this variance.

I don't know. Take a rake or floorbrush, hold it with two hands (palms close to each other) and try to do an overhead hacking motion. See how much your body moves. Not much. The animations in the video are already superfast. This would suggest the character uses "fast witcher swording", not "heavy" nor so much using his katana like an axe.

I'm not an expert, but I just don't see what's wrong with it from an action game perspective (plenty wrong from RPG perspective).

Anyway.

It’s a good thing it looks bad early in the game.

It *should*!

And it should get smoother as the skill increases.

I don’t understand the fuss about how things don’t look perfect (shooting, driving, hth, melee...) early on in the game given what kind of game this is allegedly ”supposed” to be.

And I’m kinda afraid that CDPR caves in on the pressure, and worsens things by making it all as smooth as possible, when it should still be going the opposite direction and giving the character abilities even more weight, and room to improve the hands on experience. Because nothing really looks all that bad; and definitely not even close to as bad as has been said.
Collision and physics don't get better with practice, though. And those are really bad and what we're complaining about.

I don't know. Take a rake or floorbrush, hold it with two hands (palms close to each other) and try to do an overhead hacking motion. See how much your body moves. Not much. The animations in the video are already superfast. This would suggest the character uses "fast witcher swording", not "heavy" nor so much using his katana like an axe.

When I say body I mean more than arm use goes into it. I'd expect a proper strike to rely quite heavily on appropriate footwork, use of legs to amplify power, possibly rotational elements with the torso. This type of stuff holds true for any weapon in some capacity, including hand to hand.

Obviously, games need not be realistic. Yet, I don't see any of this in the gameplay footage. It looks like the player character is running and jumping with a sword out like a moron under the default, idle animation and wildly slashing with the attack animations. It doesn't have to be realistic but it can certainly be a hell of a lot more believable than this.

If the goal is to have animations change to reflect character proficiency I'd expect those animations to be well done and make an attempt at being somewhat believable. They're neither of these things. It's just... meh.

Shadow Warrior 2 2016 Katana gameplay looks better :(

I honestly wish they took inspiration from here and just made the animations fit CP2077.

The inputs here have more to them than just your basic light and heavy attacks, and the weight of the swings combined with the sound design when you cut through enemies has a really nice satisfying feel to it. Not too fast and anime'ish like what we have seen so far. But if the augments causes V to move that way, then i guess it makes sense.

Last edited:
Actually I don't really see the difference with C2077.

The melee inputs in CP2077 on what we've seen so far are just basic, light and heavy 3 combo hits and a side-step. I'm sure there might be more melee skills that could could be unlocked that might widen those inputs like the "Rend" and "Whirl" skills from TW3. But I'm just hoping because from the get go, Shadow Warrior 2 already offers more melee inputs: A spin aoe attack, a thrust, and a bit of directional swings reliant to movement direction. Simple, not too hardcore and complex, but really fun options. Of course CP will have more skills that caters to more playstyles, but melee right now just feels like cookie cutter ARPG with exaggerated speed.

The character in the video is level 16, however that does not show us his/her skill level with blades. Now I'm curious.

The melee inputs in CP2077 on what we've seen so far are just basic, light and heavy 3 combo hits and a side-step. I'm sure there might be more melee skills that could could be unlocked that might widen those inputs like the "Rend" and "Whirl" skills from TW3. But I'm just hoping because from the get go, Shadow Warrior 2 already offers more melee inputs: A spin aoe attack, a thrust, and a bit of directional swings reliant to movement direction. Simple, not too hardcore and complex, but really fun options. Of course CP will have more skills that caters to more playstyles, but melee right now just feels like cookie cutter ARPG with exaggerated speed.

None seems remotely realist.
The one thing I saw in a video and did like was a forward Tsuki, but didn't saw it in that video.

They are focusing on the RPG more than the gameplay, This is an RPG not a FPS or Loot Shooter. So I'm happy with it being how-ever it is seeing as they are balancing over 50 - 75 different play-styles.

Top Bottom