Keanu-Punk 2077

+
Wow, that would've been absolutely awful.
Simply an opinion is all.​
Post automatically merged:

Pretty much, yea... I just would have put the heist somewhere in the last 3rd of the game - start of Act 3, or something, and focused the rest of the game on V and their crew trying to clear V's name of Soburo's murder and taking down Arasaka in the process

I like this idea. Having to start a new playthrough due to poor perk choices makes me see how the Heist sequence clearly doesn't fit into Act 1.​

Last edited:
Pretty much, yea... I just would have put the heist somewhere in the last 3rd of the game - start of Act 3, or something, and focused the rest of the game on V and their crew trying to clear V's name of Soburo's murder and taking down Arasaka in the process, which - in turn - would have been a nice analogue to what Johnny and his crew tried to do 50 years ago. Heck, they could even have left in the biochip with Johnnie's engram as sort of an "inspiration" for V, effectively making Silverhand "part of their crew", so to speak, but just not with the added, gimmicky "race for V's life" element taking over/dragging down the narrative. Going against the most powerful mega-corp in the world with whatever support from the city V can muster at their back, would have been more then anough for a final act storyline, especially considering the they would have spent two thirds of the game before that gaining a position in the city, making contacts and allies...

I kinda like that. Though I don't mind the heist at the start, and V witnessing Yorinobu killing his dead. Even JAckie and T-Bug dying aint as bad.

However - instead of just immediately going with "Johnny is killing your brain" it could have focused on V's role as witness of Yorinobu, and Takemura wanting to use you against him. At first Yorinobu does not know about V being there, but as the story progresses, that becomes known to him, and the pace of the story becomes more severe - it is now indeed a race for V's life, but not against the virtual braincancer, but against Yorinobu wanting to kill the sole witness - so you have to expose him with the help of as many allies as you can muster.

Johnny could have still been there with V. not as a harbinger of death, but the "comedic" (or rather irritating) sidekick, who wants out of Vs brain, and to acheive this helps her with knowledge, contacts, etc.

The final portion would be another big "heist" with the new team you build for yourself, and depending on the members, the side-missions you did, and how much Johnny you allowed to govern your life the results could be radically different in the end, from super satisfying to ... well, not so great.... A bit like Mass Effect 2, which also has Shepard build up a team for the last mission, and if you did not dedicate lots of time building the team properly, not all of them, even Shepard, would make it...

There more I read all these ideas around the forums though...well, if I wanted to stay positive, something like the above could make a decent post-game DLC...

To me it would've made more sense if the Silverhand angle was left to the end of the story. I feel that the Heist mission should've been the final mission (rewritten to be a suitable epilogue).

His gun, car and clothes can still stick around as being mementos given to V from Rogue and Kerry. Hell they would've done better if those flashback sequences were from Rogue's and Kerry's perspectives. Sprinkle in a few more teases here and there and then V and Jackie go about the Heist mission. V wakes up in the landfill and that's when Johnny reveals himself just like the E3 trailer and BAM roll credits.

That way you have a beautiful segue into future DLC where there you can focus on Johnny. V and crew have more screen time to evolve and become fully realized. Night City would have more time as well to become a true to life living breathing entity filled with things to do and lastly, the story wouldn't have to lean on the Johnny Silverhand crutch.​
That would have been kewl.

I was thinking back on the game and there are a lot of characters that get cut short because of the focus on Silverhand. There are a few antagonists, specifically Adam Smasher, who fell well short of my expectations. I thought for sure he would be hunting me throughout the game. He would send troops after me and show up maybe 1 or 2 times for a fight before the "final showdown". I thought Arasaka (son) would be sending those awesome robo-assasins after me from time to time. If could "join" Arasaka or even another Corp and gain new ways to get at him, take him down, or even take his place and nail his sister. Maybe an option upload Johnny to him or Smasher as a weird play on "saving Johnny". Something...

My play style changed as I progressed. As it became more apparent that V was going to die and the story was more and more focused on Silverhand's needs and wants. I started making death bed decisions. Turns out that is what seems to be expected. If it was all pushed to later in the game, and there was a possibility to have a "life" in NC I may have played differently. Basically I felt like I was painting myself into a corner as I continued to play. The game even pushes this by making most Side Quests inconsequential by not having any affect on the world that I can see or interact with.

Because the story is so narrow there is no reason to ultimately care about the side stories, characters, and world. I won't be around to see the results of my actions. I literally get sent back to a point before the biggest (and only real) choices are made.

I really love the Idea of Silver Hand just Basically being your Dick Head of a Friend. Commenting here and there and actually Interacting with you as your progress through the Game. Because I was digging the whole Rags to Riches vibe from the 2018 Demo and Trailers. When you tried to Steal the Chip and Shit starts to Hit the Fan, there can be an Option whether who Inserts the Chip in. If Jackie then he'll get hurt and he'll give you the Ship Expecting to die, this time you can Save him and keep him around still. Same thing when you take the Chip.
Cut Ahead when Dex Off you, Jackie or Misty finds you this time. Giving you the Choice to Off Dex or not. You see Jackie again blown away that the dude still alive and so is he, Brotherly Bond grows even more and so on. Or if he Dies, your on your Own.
the chip Fix that hole in your Head but your Body wasn't Compatible or the Chip Didn't even try to take over your body sense it is a Prototype. So Jhonny through the half of the game is trying to Take Over your Body so to Build a Bond you can tough it out or Drown him out, Actually Giving incentive to take those Pills Volunteeringly. Then you Start to Build a Bond with him over time. So on and So on.
I can try to go on with more Details but i dont want to start some Dumb wall of Text, but there's so much they can do with this and Still Keep it an Amazing RPG they bragged so much about.

A fucking Companion System... Solo oriented Perks...

slightly better than Outer Worlds. just ever so slightly...

They even changed the whole main story. Just for him.
He was never meant to be one of the main characters in the begeining of development. (Till 2018 if I'm not mistaken)
And the game "evolved" from RPG to looter-shooter, with "one time" linear story.
And that leads us to a conclusion, that the actual development was going on for like.. 2 years? And before that were just concepts, "bulding" a city, etc..

The original story was about the Night City police. I'm glad they dropped that.

Because the story is so narrow there is no reason to ultimately care about the side stories, characters, and world. I won't be around to see the results of my actions. I literally get sent back to a point before the biggest (and only real) choices are made.
True... which was exactly the wrong decision for that kind of a narrative.
The original story was about the Night City police. I'm glad they dropped that.
Oh, I believe it, judging from the original trailer it appeared to be about a special MAX-TAC, anti cyberpsycho squad... which would have been quite a limited scope for a cyberpunk story...

...then again, the scope isn't much broader now.

Last edited:
For me this game was too much Fight Club for its own good.
Even then Fincher version it was always more then Narrator/Tyler dynamic mainly how the treatment can be sometimes worse than the disease (here consumerism).

but I find that this is just a beginning of problems of Johnny character in the game not the end.
It’s just unnerving from physical abuse (especially if you try to roll play as female V pushing at the beginning) to comments, poses, behavior towards other female characters (Judy, Evelyn, even Panam). Guy in the game was responsible also for killing 500k in terrorist attack by destroying skyscraper with a nuke. It could be ok before 9/11 but after? Making him even a hero? Giving him a body in one of the endings?

for me this was wrong.

When you bring on an A/B list actor, they're going to want 1) A/B list actor pay and 2) an A/B list actor part in the story. That means they expect to be the STAR and because the company hiring them IS paying them A/B list actor pay, that company is generally going to comply with the actor's expectations/demands. As a result, V ends up becoming a supporting character in his/her own story--diminishing the player's expectations of being the chief protagonist. I think this is ultimately one of the--if not the most--serious weakness of the game from a STORY perspective. I've got over 100 hours in the game with different backgrounds and builds and all those playthroughs share one thing in common--I can't identify with V in ANY of them. As far as I'm concerned, V is just like the avatar you create for a "Call of Duty" or "Battlefront" looter/shooter game

Having said this, I don't dislike Silverhand or Mr. Reeves' portrayal of the character. In fact, from a creative point of view, I applaud Keanu Reeves' performance as Silverhand and think the character is a good character. Had CDPR designed the game strictly as Silverhand's story with no V, the game from a story point of view would have been stronger as the player would be able to identify with Reeves' Silverhand as he/she (at least in my instance) could not do with V.

To right this game from a story perspective, CDPR has to flesh out background stories, deepen the interactions between V and the different NPCs--especially close friends/romantic interests; make Night City come alive through factions, businesses, NPCs such as the different fixers and gang/city/police/corporate leaders and reps, and otherwise make us feel for V--in short to identify with him/her. Now, this doesn't have to be done immediately--top priority has to go to bug fixes and to just make the game playable on consoles, but we (I) need to be able to identify with V. The story needs to return to being V's story--not Silverhand and Co.

while keanu voiced johnny well the character just flat out annoyed the shit out of me towards the end and it felt like we got keanu lets use him for everything.. ( i would have prefered c list voice actor so i could have focused on V being the main character ) !
Got to agree with many here that it really removed V from the story at points and there was so many other interesting characters like jackie misty vic rogue etc and all the fixers that as well as V played second fiddle to johnny silverhand

I think what gets me is that there seems to be at least 2 partially completed games in CP2077. There is the Action Adventure Game that is the Main Story, Silverhand, and there is the Open World RPG , V. The Open World aspects falls well short. The story is very good, but it is used as a tool to take the attention away from the open world or lack there of.

Hear me out...

The the Open World RPG was coming along, but it needed a lot of doing. So what ever CDPR had done, and what could quickly be made to work, was stitched together as quickly as possible. That's why a lot of things feel unfinished or are simply missing. The character progression system is all over the place. The UI is very placeholder. Civics simulations are nonexistent. Factions are meaningless. And V's background is inconsequential. Etc... None of it matters to the story so it got cut or was never made/completed. Everything that does matter, atmosphere and important characters, are all done well enough to tell a convincing story.

Then there is the linear Main Story. It is executed very well, but it feels rushed as well. I think once CDPR realized their predicament they got their writing team together, and had them focus the story on Silverhand instead of making up an entire story about a blank slate character. CDPR has a great story telling team. Specifically molding a story to the Video Game medium. It is clear there were corners cut here and there though. They become apparent as the story progresses. Everything then became a tool to tell the Main Story and then immediately discard. One of the reasons why Evelyn and Jackie have to die. Not that it isn't emotional, but that the story had no use for there characters once their parts are completed. Since CDPR couldn't fit in branching story arcs, everything leads to a deadend. Even too the point where entire story arcs are just abruptly ended. That is why it all feel pointless.

Again I have no issue with the "The One". He does a fine job. The issue is that he (Silverhand) wasn't what the game was "supposed" to be about. Maybe it was CDPR execs. Maybe it was KR's people. Either way before he comes onto the scene it was touted to be about how you, the player, who navigates through the world of Cyberpunk. The player's choices from start to finish shape a unique experience throughout the game, and that experience changes entirely if key decisions are changed. Instead it is shoved choice to the end of the story with the only consequence during the game cutting down the players ending choices instead of uniquely limiting them based on the results of their unique decisions.

It became obvious to me that with The NC Wire episodes something was up. I mean E3 2019 raised an eyebrow, but I wasn't paying enough attention at the time. I understand marketing and showing the product. I didn't watch every NC Wire in their entirety, obviously they needed to hype up the game, but not really talk about the "game". Many companies show off their games. They typically focus on the unique or innovative gameplay in it. They will hide the story to avoid spoilers, but they have no issue showing off their technical prowess. In fact sometimes you can't get them to shut up about it. If you are selling a "game" you show off the gameplay and you hype the story with snippets. What the NC Wire episodes was selling was the look and feel of the games atmosphere. CDPR focused on everything but the game itself. They kept the story hidden as per usual. When they did show the gameplay it was about the look and feel of it. Very vague for a development house.

So not only is this not the game many thought it would be, and for good reason, it is actively trying not to be.

Last edited:
My personal fav totally unsupported theory is the Silverhand story was originally intended to be a side-job or DLC until they signed Keanu.

I could buy that. Maybe devs didnt expect to have Keanu for long so they made place holder DLC or big side quest with him, but after contract was discussed they changed the design and made him a focus point of whole game. I think if someone digs enough through game and data could find remnants and fragments of original game design.

I could buy that. Maybe devs didnt expect to have Keanu for long so they made place holder DLC or big side quest with him, but after contract was discussed they changed the design and made him a focus point of whole game. I think if someone digs enough through game and data could find remnants and fragments of original game design.
i really enjoyed the silverhand side quests with rogue and the other band members getting his gun his outfit his car spot on but the whole relic turning in to silverhand just bored me and i thought this is mediocre to be honest..
there was so many other options that couldve been explored picking a gang as a street kid and a storyline as waring factions as what was kinda set up at the start of street kid life path ..
Nomads and clans could have a different story arc revolved around the bakkers etc and leaving the clan
Corpo could have revolved more around corporate stuff as was teased at the start with that guy ...
its was kinda disappointing that they had theses crazy interesting 3 paths but merged them all into one with johnny!!
it almost feeels like they had 3 different storylines with 3 completely different arcs originally but said fuck it lets merge them into one and have some weird johnny silverhand story cause we payed keanu soo much $$$$

i really enjoyed the silverhand side quests with rogue and the other band members getting his gun his outfit his car spot on but the whole relic turning in to silverhand just bored me and i thought this is mediocre if im honest..
there was so many other options that couldve been explored picking a gang as a street kid and a storyline as waring factions as what was kinda set up at the start of street kid life path ..
Nomads and clans could have a different story arc revolved around the bakkers etc and leaving the clan
Corpo could have revolved more around corporate stuff as was teased at the start with that guy ...
its was kinda disappointing that they had theses crazy interesting 3 paths but merged them all into one with johnny!!
it almost feeels like they had 3 different storylines with 3 completely different arcs originally but said fuck it lets merge them into one and have some weird johnny silverhand story cause we payed keanu soo much $$$$

I thought StreetKid will have story about corrupt NCPD after that first mission you get from Kirk, but nope its gone and forgotten instantly.

I mean can you blame em? Can you imagine how we would have howled if we found out Keanu Reeves was willing to be the focal point of the whole game but devs relegated him to a side quest or DLC? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom