Keanu-Punk 2077

+
Only bad products need the use of celebrities. True fact, End of story! Prove me wrong yeah? A good product will sell without celebrities!
Yes, you are wrong. People were excited about this game mostly because it is from the creators of the Witcher and because there are not many games in this genre.

* Puts on tinfoil hat

It's clear their marketing dept. has a ton of sway in the company and I wonder if they were responsible for the decisions. No sane designer would have thought shoehorning Reeves in at the last minute and rewriting the story was a good idea. At any rate I hope they got this celebrity crush thing out of their system.

* Puts on tinfoil hat

It's clear their marketing dept. has a ton of sway in the company and I wonder if they were responsible for the decisions. No sane designer would have thought shoehorning Reeves in at the last minute and rewriting the story was a good idea. At any rate I hope they got this celebrity crush thing out of their system.
I still find it suspicious that Sebastian Stepien (creative director and lead writer of Cyberpunk 2077) left the company at the end of 2018 and Keanu Reeves suddenly appeared in 2019.
And in the game's credits Sebastian is listed only as the creator of the story concept.

Last edited:
I know some of you guys certainly do but I can't really complain about game being "Keanu-Punk" His character was fun, tried to make his point throughout the game, agreein or not is up to the player. Oh and saying "Silverhand has more screen time than V" is just ridiculous, come on...

While i enjoyed Johnny's content, i'm not sure i agree with his implementation/its effects. V gets shuffled over onto a simple survival arc(which he/she fails at in every ending), rather than being given any motivation of their own to want Arasaka to pay. That's left for Johnny alone, which all in all to me at least leaves V's story as extremely unsatisfying and demotivating.
The whole pills/no pills (anti//pro johnny) feels really poorly implemented, maybe a consequence of having to suddenly jam the character into a more prominent role than originally planned.
Also really disliked the Johnny ending, the guy learned nothing.

Guest 4563100

Keanu Silverhand was great. I wish there was no V in the game. I couldn't wait for Johnny to take over finally. Johnny had a goal, a mission, he wanted to change the world. But he actually used his mission as a filler in his empty soul. It's not Dostoyevski but there is depth. V just want survival and money, he has no personality, no depth, like a shadow of a character.

Maybe Keanu was too expensive when so many things are bad and needed more work and investment. But he is the redeeming quality like the graphics. Everything else in the game is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first played I thought i'd hate Johnny and i'd be at war with him the whole time. However, I warmed to what he stands for, his outlook on life and how people need to wake up and take down the corpo's, my man!

Kanu does a great acting job, he's a great Johnny Silverhand. Maybe the story focus should be less about Johnny though, it does make Vs story feel more like a vessel, that he/she doesn't matter because the arch is really all about Johnny.

msxyz

Forum regular
Keanu Silverhand was great. I wish there was no V in the game. I couldn't wait for Johnny to take over finally. Johnny had a goal, a mission, he wanted to change the world. But he actually used his mission as a filler in his empty soul. It's not Dostoyevski but there is depth. V just want survival and money, he has no personality, no depth, like a shadow of a character.

Maybe Keanu was too expensive when so many things are bad and needed more work and investment. But he is the redeeming quality like the graphics. Everything else in the game is bad.
Personally, I believe selecting such a famous actor for the role of Johnny kinda backfired. Not only because it diminishes the role of the protagonist, V, but also because the personality of Keanu Reeves is so strong and iconic that it kinda capture the whole scene. Its not a secret that Mike Pondsmith took inspiration from David Bowie's role in the movie Labyrinth for Johnny. Like Bowie, Keanu Reeves played in many sci-fi roles and became closely associated with several cult movies, but his image is quite different from what you would expect from Cyberpunk 2020 original vision of Johnny. (Not to mention that he's supposed to be blond, but that is nitpicking...)

johnny's story is very well developed.
but unfortunately V remains a walking coffin the whole game ...
this character of V (which I appreciate a lot) should be really developed in the big dlc or even a sequel, she / he deserves it because she had to support johnny for several weeks ^^

Top Bottom