Keanu-Punk 2077

+
The story in this game is so narrow. I am not blaming the Chosen One. He is amazing throughout the game, but why did the story have to revolve around Silverhand?

Dude would have been great as your "Dick Head" conscious that chirps at you and fills you in on the world, its history, and current state. Maybe even pretend stroke it randomly when you get with an NPC. Some of his best moments aren't even in the main story quest. Silverhand's quests are okay, but nothing to write home about. Instead we get pigeon holed into a linear story and a theme park world. Dude wasn't even a part of the game until a couple years ago.

Which genius suit thought that was a good idea? "Hey guys! Instead of making the game we promised, let's get Keanu to play Silverhand and make that the focus. That way the gamers will be so enthralled with "The One" they won't see we have nothing." (E3 2019 anyone?) So instead of paying the people in the trenches making this game, you went out and got a movie star.

Keanu is not to be misused this way people! And 20 bucks says he wouldn't have minded no being the focus as long as he still got to be an "Asshole" to the player, run his mouth about deep shniz, and generally be the god in the machine. Cuz he is great at it.

For a game about corporate "fuckery", a lot of corporate "fuckery" went into (cl)ucking it up.

They even changed the whole main story. Just for him.
He was never meant to be one of the main characters in the begeining of development. (Till 2018 if I'm not mistaken)
And the game "evolved" from RPG to looter-shooter, with "one time" linear story.
And that leads us to a conclusion, that the actual development was going on for like.. 2 years? And before that were just concepts, "bulding" a city, etc..

You're breathtaking!!
cover2.jpg breathtaking.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind Johnny as a story-devise - if for example his Ex-Girldfriend Alt had a clear role as villain to the game, for example. Then him as the connection to that would make more sense.

And as I said in another thread, at least make the "possession" of Johnny more gameplay-relevant. Have "V" fight the Johnny-Meter. The less you allow Johnny to influence you, control you, the more you take the pills to block him out...the more likely you will end the game as 100% V.

And make the Johnny-Possession something enticiing...like oh, poor Johnny, lets give him a minute in this body...or if Johnny takes control, you get different dialogue-options, choices, or special combat-options etc.

A bit like a Jekyll/Hyde-situation.

An depending on that, you influence how the game will end, which path the endgame takes - more towards an ultimate cure, maybe even with an (internal) boss-battle against a rejected Johnny, for a pure "V" survives ending. Or against Arasaka, the terrorist attack reloaded with a Johnny having taken over completely. Or a Johnny/"V" mix, where a new character emerges that only wants to be a legendary merc, fuck all others, fuck everyone except ME!

Three different endings and outcomes, with even different endgames. A personal struggle against Johnny inside V, which we have, though sadly without much ways to really influence it.

And as I said in another thread, at least make the "possession" of Johnny more gameplay-relevant. Have "V" fight the Johnny-Meter. The less you allow Johnny to influence you, control you, the more you take the pills to block him out...the more likely you will end the game as 100% V.

And make the Johnny-Possession something enticing...like oh, poor Johnny, lets give hi ma minute in this body...or if Johnny takes control, you get different dialogue-options, choices, or special combat-options etc.

DUDE! I swear I dug around my inventory for like 10 minutes looking for the pills Misty gives V. I really thought that was a factor. Then I realized it wasn't... Like so much in this game.., that wasn't.

I like the Johnny character. The side quest were you have to look for Swedenborg or whatever is great. His commentary makes the one choice you get worth it. Other than that the quest and choice made has zero consequence in the world. Like every quest pretty much.

This practice of using celebrities isn't new. The whole launch seems eerily akin to Ubisoft's GR Breakpoint where they had Jon Bernthal. Game flopped just as bad. Side note: In the beginning, you couldn't rebind the F key either lol
And I am sure it won't be the last. A lot of gamers just got a whole lot wiser.

Still, it would have been nice to have a blank character and a living world. Run the prologue mission but he is just a rogue AI that isn't killing you or fixing it isn't the main story. He just wanted to have some fun. A few preview videos even have Silverhand dying just a year before the game takes place. Idk, game feels cobbled together. Eh, at this point I am just farting into the wind.

I wouldn't mind Johnny as a story-devise - if for example his Ex-Girldfriend Alt had a clear role as villain to the game, for example. Then him as the connection to that would make more sense.

And make the Johnny-Possession something enticiing...like oh, poor Johnny, lets give him a minute in this body...or if Johnny takes control, you get different dialogue-options, choices, or special combat-options etc.

An depending on that, you influence how the game will end, which path the endgame takes - more towards an ultimate cure, maybe even with an (internal) boss-battle against a rejected Johnny, for a pure "V" survives ending. Or against Arasaka, the terrorist attack reloaded with a Johnny having taken over completely. Or a Johnny/"V" mix, where a new character emerges that only wants to be a legendary merc, fuck all others, fuck everyone except ME!

Three different endings and outcomes, with even different endgames. A personal struggle against Johnny inside V, which we have, though sadly without much ways to really influence it.

So a great example of this (oddly enough) comes from SWTOR—shocking, right?—so here’s the breakdown. Spoilers if you haven’t played the game.

Don’t know how to do the spoiler thing, so hopefully a mod will fix it and let me know.

Anyway, so in one of the Eternal Empire expansions, Emperor Valkorion possesses your body. Throughout the entire expansion, he possesses you, and you can either give in to him and he will give you his power when you need it, or you can deny him and fight a much harder battle (the cutscenes are different per the choices you make, and I’m pretty sure it affects the leadup to the end of the expansion, but iirc either way you kill Valkorion for good).

Even though it has the same end point, it still FEELS organic and unique, and you can either choose to go all in, go cold turkey, or pick and choose when you want to use his power, and you’ll be treated to one of two cutscenes per situation, and potentially different reactions from the characters in the story from what you do.

Really well made expansion, honestly.

And from BioWare, the company we should NOT be putting on a higher pedestal than CDPR—a shame that they deserve that higher spot in this regard.

"omg guys, I have an idea. Lets make Keanu our poster child, market the fuck out of the fact that he'll be in the game. In return we'll center the story around him, and we'll use him to gain trust from buyers and investors. They won't even realize we are denying console reviews and only sending particular clips out for pc reviews. HAIL KEANUUUUU"

So a great example of this (oddly enough) comes from SWTOR—shocking, right?—so here’s the breakdown. Spoilers if you haven’t played the game.

Don’t know how to do the spoiler thing, so hopefully a mod will fix it and let me know.

Anyway, so in one of the Eternal Empire expansions, Emperor Valkorion possesses your body. Throughout the entire expansion, he possesses you, and you can either give in to him and he will give you his power when you need it, or you can deny him and fight a much harder battle (the cutscenes are different per the choices you make, and I’m pretty sure it affects the leadup to the end of the expansion, but iirc either way you kill Valkorion for good).

Even though it has the same end point, it still FEELS organic and unique, and you can either choose to go all in, go cold turkey, or pick and choose when you want to use his power, and you’ll be treated to one of two cutscenes per situation, and potentially different reactions from the characters in the story from what you do.

And from BioWare, the company we should NOT be putting on a higher pedestal than CDPR—a shame that they deserve that higher spot in this regard.
LMAO! I finished that storyline just before this came out! It is an excellent story. I turned Vitiate down. Sith don't need no help foo!! Also an MMO so much more difficult since the world / galaxy can't change. Also not something expected from that genre.

That would be kewl if Johnny was done similar to that. An issue, but not the issue. SWTOR Valkorion is there but the Eternal Empire v. Sith Empire / Republic story is the focus.

At first after the e3 announcement with keanu i was pretty hyped up to have him partake in my story.

After playing for a while i got really annoyed to get lectured by him all the time ...

Spoiler:

And i absolutely lost interest in him when you find eveline in that bd/torture room? And he says something like: Splash that bi.tch a bucket off water over and questioning her ...
As woodman began talking shit in how he treated evelyn i just shot him without a second tought.
Sadly i couldnt do it with johnny.

Spoiler End.

Im a prison guard jobwise so im confrontet with criminals like him.
His first impression he made is the most true. Sure he start sweettalking towards the end of the game because he wants you to do his missions ...
They all do exactly that. Im not falling for it.

I would be fine with him beeing an asshat but to be confrontet with him all the time ... I need to look at a second playtrough as female to verbally demolish him as much as i can. Ignorant mass murderer...

I will never replay his sidemissions, they are just dumb plotwise and i give a shit about him.

LMAO! I finished that storyline just before this came out! It is an excellent story. I turned Vitiate down. Sith don't need no help foo!! Also an MMO so much more difficult since the world / galaxy can't change. Also not something expected from that genre.

That would be kewl if Johnny was done similar to that. An issue, but not the issue. SWTOR Valkorion is there but the Eternal Empire v. Sith Empire / Republic story is the focus.

Exactly. Valkorion is there and not any less important to the plot—yet the story isn’t centric around him by any means. He’s only (and unsurprisingly) taken into the spotlight at the very end, when it all comes together and he’s been the one orchestrating the whole fiasco.

And I think something similar would have been perfect for Johnny. Have the main focus be V and Jackie’s journey, they get wrapped up in a larger plot surrounding Arasaka, turns out some netrunner is really causing trouble in Night City and Arasaka needs your help to stop it.

You end up finding out the net runner is johnny’s ex, and she’s in pretty much the same situation he’s in, but she’s stuck in the net.

And maybe as you go on your journey, looking for ways to either shut her down or save her or whatever, if you get close to Johnny or do some specific choices in the story, there’ll be an ending where you CAN save her, an ending where you are UNABLE to save her, an ending where Johnny has to save you from her—the options are endless.

And all by not having him be the focal point of the story.

Marketing still has "The Chip that grants eternal life" and "Everyone will be after you to get their hands on it" which was the marketing prior to the Keanu reveal.

Questions will be asked, I doubt they'll be answered - but - all of the strongest parts of the game are when Johnny isn't around.

Marketing still has "The Chip that grants eternal life" and "Everyone will be after you to get their hands on it" which was the marketing prior to the Keanu reveal.

Questions will be asked, I doubt they'll be answered - but - all of the strongest parts of the game are when Johnny isn't around.

And not to say that Johnny isn’t a decent character—he just can’t be the main protagonist for it to be a good story, otherwise it would be you playing as Johnny instead.

I played a bit of that expansion back in the days, tried to get back into the game with my snarky smuggler after SWTOR came to Steam...but couldn't get really interest myself anymore.

As someone who has still some gears to grind with Bioware over ME3 though ... I never lost complete faith into them. I loved Andromeda more than ME3 tbh. And was mad ED shelved the DLC plans etc. And Inquisition I played with more interest than Witcher3, because, well... I never cared much for Ciri (she is to me al ittle like Johnny it seems...though less intrusive of course...)

So still have hopes for the next Dragon Age in Tevinter, and hey, if the stars align the next Mass Effect might even put my mind at ease as well ... or I have to admit to myself Bioware has me in an abusive relationship...

At first after the e3 announcement with keanu i was pretty hyped up to have him partake in my story.

After playing for a while i got really annoyed to get lectured by him all the time ...

Spoiler:

And i absolutely lost interest in him when you find eveline in that bd/torture room? And he says something like: Splash that bi.tch a bucket off water over and questioning her ...
As woodman began talking shit in how he treated evelyn i just shot him without a second tought.
Sadly i couldnt do it with johnny.

Spoiler End.

Im a prison guard jobwise so im confrontet with criminals like him.
His first impression he made is the most true. Sure he start sweettalking towards the end of the game because he wants you to do his missions ...
They all do exactly that. Im not falling for it.

I would be fine with him beeing an asshat but to be confrontet with him all the time ... I need to look at a second playtrough as female to verbally demolish him as much as i can. Ignorant mass murderer...

I will never replay his sidemissions, they are just dumb plotwise and i give a shit about him.

When Johnny was revelaled, I had no idea who he was, and expected him to be the typical VIP-Cameo. Like Keanu is the dude who digs you out of a grave, gives you a weapon and some tips and sends you on your way...

Now I don't hold it against the story Johnny is such a vital part. It is interesting. And I realyl like they portray Johnny like a true asshole. He is. I do not like him. And told him so. Yet still I would also help him, but only if that means V survives and has a long, LONG live ahead of her. Otherwise? Bye, Silverhand...

And that is my gripe. The way you interact with johnny, the replies to give him. The way you react to his Evelyn-reaction you mentioned (which to me also was a breaking point i nhow I viewed him) - all that should determine how the end plays out.

V's brain should just reject Johnny the more you disagree with him, fight him, annoy him.

I wish I could go back in time and slap some sense into CD red about how to approach this...

We could have had a cool "V" vs. Keanu cyberspace/mind-battle as bossfight...

And not to say that Johnny isn’t a decent character—he just can’t be the main protagonist for it to be a good story, otherwise it would be you playing as Johnny instead.

Totally - and I like the concept of the morality of it - two opposing personalities in a hopeless situation, it's an interesting theme...just not the MOST interesting (or even well done) that we have already in the game.

I played a lot by now and i can now give my opinion as well.

God.. i hate Johnny Silverhand. I know we are supposed to hate him, but i dont hate him that way. I hate him, for taking V's spot. Its as clear as water, that this game is not about V. All i see and all i hear about is Johnny ALL THE TIME and it gets annoying. Not only that, but to not even give us a real ending where we can get rid of him. I really cant see this stupid Relic Malfunction anymore and i sure as hell cant see Johnny Silverhand anymore.
After playing 100h, i started a new campaign and i still enjoy dialogs with all characters except everything that has to do with Johnny. i skip them IMMEDIATLY. Whats even worse is us playing him in missions and him being overpowered just like John Wick. Its just stupid and i dont see a lot of connections to Cyberpunk anymore at this point. Maybe you should have promoted this game as: Relive and play as Johnny Silverhand. V? ahh doesnt matter, dies anyway but hey look heres Johnny Silverhand. Enjoy.

When i roam through the City and through the Badlands, i see so much unused potential or better said; content that was cut.

I really dont know where this is going now, but i do not have high hopes.
Its sad to see that theres no interaction whatsoever. I cant even sit down on a chair except for one spot (the boxing arena at the start) and in missions.
Dont get me started on police and ai itself. A City full of people and nothing / no one you can interact with.
No Barber, no Animations for Cyberware and on and on.
Sad. :( I still enjoy roaming through the city and stuff like this but.. this is basically it. Thats all one can do.
It feels like, you created the world and a story, then just said fuck the story, we need a new story with keanu reeves as johnny. Probably in the last 1 - 2 years before release and when it was time for release, all the features that should have been in the game were just cut.

Whats probably the worst part is that theres nothing from CDPR about this which means they will never add or fix anything of this.

I do hope you guys can see my post as reasonable. I am really trying to enjoy the game, but its so hard.. especially when CDPR is just silent about it.

Top Bottom